best hel cam for surf is out......time to sell the gopro

I'd really like to see how some of you guys mount the Tachyon on your helmet or ski, etc. Pics please!!!!

I would never trust velcro for ANY camera in the surf. I have an older GOPRO and I riveted the mount to the nose piece on my ski and then tethered the camera to the ski as well for extra precaution.

Is there anywhere on this cam to mount a tether too? Are there extra mounts available yet???

Montanaflash

Slip Slidin' Away!
Have any of you guys ever heard of the ContourHD? http://contour.com/ I have one and love it. I've only used it on the snow so far, but a waterproof case is only $30. I plan on getting some shots from my windsurfer and Superjet next summer. It's very easy to use in the field and takes great video. I'm kind of suprised no one has mentioned it yet in all these discussions that I see about helmet cams.

Peter123

C-Note
Have any of you guys ever heard of the ContourHD? http://contour.com/ I have one and love it. I've only used it on the snow so far, but a waterproof case is only $30. I plan on getting some shots from my windsurfer and Superjet next summer. It's very easy to use in the field and takes great video. I'm kind of suprised no one has mentioned it yet in all these discussions that I see about helmet cams.

That looks pretty damn nice!!! Does you documentation say how deep you can take it underwater? I can't find that on the site anywhere.

its way more $ and ive seen side by side comparisons of this cam with the contour,lighting shift is better with the tachyons. they are almost triple the price....http://shop.helmetcameracentral.com/all-helmet-cameras/brand/twenty20/

read these reviews
http://helmetcameracentral.com/2010/04/20/tachyon-xc-micro-helmet-camera-review/
http://www.helmetcamreview.com/MicroCams.htm

Get the 3m hard plastic velcro to mount it ,and tether it well with a fishing cable and loop tether. the came is more bullet shaped and doesnt impact like the gopro. I use to run my sony bullet cam for yrs with plastic 3 m velcro,it never came off under any kinda water impact

Montanaflash

Slip Slidin' Away!
I get your point on the price, I was just surprised it hadn't been mentioned yet. When I was looking I was comparing it to the GoPro. The Tachyon wasn't out then. This one shoots in 1080p if desired. It will also take 720p at 60 frames per second which means you can slow it down and not get all jerky if desired. I got this one personally because of the high resolution and the fact that it gives me more control over the settings. I also didn't want to look like a TeleTubby with the GoPro on the top of my helmet or get it knocked off while skiing the trees. The Tachyon looks like it would have gotten serious consideration if it were out.

Here's one of the videos that I made last winter. I'm still working on getting the right filter for snow. The snow is incredibly difficult to get the right white balance in. It really wants to wash out the shot. You can get an idea of how much of a wide angle it shoots though and how stable it is. This is also youtube quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool vid bud,that cam is better suited to snow skiing than jetsking.The light meter is what is having a hard time when the sun reflects off snow,same thing happens with water,just not as bad.that is where the tachon really performs well.
Im trying to get out west this winter for some skiing also,maybe jackson hole or something close to airport there.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
None for me yet.. I haven't tried anything other than on my goggle strap which is sketchy.. I will be doing something here soon though.. ski is apart, so time to work on the camera mounting too..

there is a new tachyon hd cam out now also at almost half the price of the goprohd but you are better of with the micro for freeride vids posting on the net.and the 90 deg lens is far better than the 120 for our kinda hel cam shooting

If you plan on watching your vids on your tv,hd can be cool,this cam will be cool for 1st person action though

What is the micro like for starting and stopping ,Can you use the controls while on your helmet...To start and stop it that is..Think i will grab one for snomobiling this year and jet skiing..Where are they the best price.there site has them for 100.00 right now !!!

Peter123

C-Note
What is the micro like for starting and stopping ,Can you use the controls while on your helmet...To start and stop it that is..Think i will grab one for snomobiling this year and jet skiing..Where are they the best price.there site has them for 100.00 right now !!!

Just one big external button that you can press with gloves on.

its pretty easy to beat the contour hd,but the new reviews on the tachyon hd with a 120 lens should make you even more stoked if you want to capture better wide angle views of true to life,and only spend half of the $ the gopro costs

Last edited:
Top Bottom