Bilge switch: on the tray or on the handlebars

Tedwin

I'm Hooked
So I am installing a bilge pump in the SJ and am wondering what you guys think about the different switches, either put one on the tray or handlebars? I was instantly thinking on the handlebars but my friend said he hits into it a lot when in the surf, which is mainly what I am riding in.

i like mine on the handlebars or under the chinpad... mine is mounted under the chinpad and nevr gets hit on accident. just make sure you mount it to the on the left side or anywhere that you can access it with your left hand since it is difficult to turn on your bilge and finger the throttle both with your right hand if you mount it on the right side..

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
I had one on my bars and the switch rusted out in 6 months. I guess from what I've herd that's it's luck of the draw with the switches. Some last forever, some don't. I leave mine I. The whole time I ride so it's no convience being on the bars. I'm not consantly switching them on or off so.....

My other ski has it mounted on the dash. I had to use the s/s switch and I left the bilge mount on there and that thing was so sharp. Great on the knees.... Plus the switch gouged the hell out of my XFT hood.... Gay.

Skrew those things LOL.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
I like the bar mount switch on my blaster, but it got in the way on my SJ. Now I run a solid-state water-sensing bilge switch that's always hooked up. The only way to shut it off is to pull the fuse. So far that is working great for me - but I am in fresh water only.

I hook mind up with no switch. It's attached to my battery at the start of the day and I remove it at the end of the day.

I did this for a while too...but this year I am finally following Korn and getting the fully auto 1100GPH....it turns on when it gets wet and turns off when its done.....no switch. I have been meaning to do it for years...

GReenANt

GReenAnt
mine came with the sealed one which went bad after two seasons with me i bought the supposedly sealed one but found you cant let the back of those get wet.

now i just use an alligator clip and a crimp on ring its either on or off. usually requires stopping to change but can be left either way depending on what i am doing.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
the only thing that has worked longer than one season for me so far in salt water is the under the start stop switched sealed one.

I went through two or three of the "military grade" dash style ones before i gave up on them. Too bad salt kills anything electric fast.

I put in a pwcdoctor drain this winter too so im hoping that alleviates my need for a bilge pump all the time.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
I had one of those bar mounted switches - POS IMO. It failed after a few months and cost WAY too much. I have enough stuff on my bars already and I don't turn the pumps on and off often enough to need that kind of switch access. For a while my switch has been the fuse - just put in at the start of the day and pull out at the end. Works like a charm.

I just ordered some of these. Claim to be "waterproof" and potted in the back. I will see how they like salt water and sand. At $15 for 12 of them including shipping I thought I would give it a try. It only takes a 3/8" hole to mount it. Even if these made in Taiwan switches crap out every couple of months, this stock will last a few years.
Should be here in a couple of weeks.

!Bn31sc!CGk~$(KGrHqEH-CsEtp3,!5n9BLlR(LZ7Pw~~_12.JPG

Yea, noting to get caught on. If you do hit it, won't hurt much. I plan on taking one and tryinig to destroy it. I will get something together with salt water and sand, dunk it and switch it until it dies to see what happens.
I am not expecting a lot out of it I am sometimes surprised by cheap stuff.

Top Bottom