Bilge switch: on the tray or on the handlebars

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
12 volts to ground is nothing, just don't get between those two wires and become the fuse for your bilge pump. Load changes everything, LOL.

I used to run the handlebar switches but after a couple failed switches back to back at $100 each, I switched to the rotary dash mounts. I still like the idea of the handlebar mounts but make sure you buy the military spec ones or they are a waste of time.

If you always ride with your bilge on, I'd consider the relay kit that pulls in and activates your bilge whenever you hit your start button and stays on until you hit the stop button. I'm going to do my next one that way with a 3 position rotary switch on the dash for on/off/auto with auto working off the start/stop switch.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
i guess if your scared to get a tiny 12v shock you might want a switch.

you've obviously never had that happen. Its not "little" by any means when you are covered in conductive salt water. The shock will go all the way to your shoulder if it is shocking you through the metal throttle lever. And its not a quick jolt, it keeps grounding out through your body to the water.

wow sounds pretty crappy. your right i havent had a major jolt from it. ive felt a little bit of a tingle while trying to connect them while in the water, but never thru my throttle. i usually connect b4 i go ride, and disconnect after so its not an issue.

i like the tray mounted switches, one less thing you have to run up your pole, and easier to replace imo if it needs replacing. I havnt been in stand ups long (a year) and the one switch i had from west marine (freaking $17!!) crapped out after 2 months. and it tingles a little in salt water without a boot on. will definatly wake you up.

Those switches came in today. Damn that was fast.
They all checked out electrically but one had bad threads. At least I know which one to torture now. Makes me worry a little about how much you can torque them down. Was able to tighten the others pretty well. Maybe just use some lock-tite?

The feel of the button is really good. It has a good positive feel and resistance. Doesn't feel cheap.

On to the torture test then disection.:angryfire:

Tedwin

I'm Hooked
I ended up buying a handlebar switch from blowsion. I understand everybodies points about both but I figure I'll give this one a shot and if it craaps out on me i will just order a switch for the dash.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
Go ahead and order the switch for the dash now so you don't have to wait for shipping to replace the handlebar switch when it craps out. Seriously, you just blew a bunch of money on a worthless switch.

jerzyjet

-enter user title here-
I have the same: both pumps on one side and one pump on the other so I can leave one running when my ski is just floating.

i thought about throwin in a car horn or some super cool bow lights. you know when im heading out to sea.....jk although a horn would be sweet to just blip the switch quick or something.

aggro

Gen 2 X-2
Those switches came in today. Damn that was fast.
They all checked out electrically but one had bad threads. At least I know which one to torture now. Makes me worry a little about how much you can torque them down. Was able to tighten the others pretty well. Maybe just use some lock-tite?

The feel of the button is really good. It has a good positive feel and resistance. Doesn't feel cheap.

On to the torture test then disection.:angryfire:

So...what is the verdict? and where can I get some?
Edit: K found em on ebay..... 12x Waterproof Momentary ON OFF Black Push Switch /Car

Last edited:
Top Bottom