Blackjack carbs

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Are your PowerBombs early models?
I used to have a single early model PB and was pretty happy with it.
I noticed that the tuning I used for it was a lot different than what's currently used.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Are your PowerBombs early models?
I used to have a single early model PB and was pretty happy with it.
I noticed that the tuning I used for it was a lot different than what's currently used.

I ran one of the early model (non painted) ones last year as a single on a ported 62t760 and a nonported 61x701 and it was awesome. Running two newer model ones on my 66E and they are also awesome.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Mine was painted black. I bought it in early 2006 from Blowsion. I used it on several engines with the same jetting and it always ran great. I had some trouble initially before I realized that it needed a return line restrictor. I could get it to run without that with much fatter jetting, but bottom end was not there. Top end was awesome, though. Once I put a #60 restrictor in, jetting went down considerably and it ran great everywhere.
There wasn't much difference between that carb and a 48 Full Spectrum.
Unfortunately, there also wasn't much difference between either of those and a simple 46 SBN.
I guess that's not a dig at the PB and FS, but rather a thumbs up to the 46 SBN.

Of all carbs I've run, I am happiest with my current setup, though: dual 46 BlackJacks.
It helps that they were tuned by the guy building the rest of my driveline.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
If you got a carb setup that's working well, there's hardly a reason to switch to something else, IMHO. (Not directed at you, just a general comment)

I have a buddy running blackjacks and can't get them tuned right, he said he called and emailed Art and didn't get much help.

Really? I got a used set of 48mm BJ's with a ski I bought and Art has been way more helpful that I could have expected. He even e-mailed me back after a few weeks to make sure his suggestions were working for me.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Really? I got a used set of 48mm BJ's with a ski I bought and Art has been way more helpful that I could have expected. He even e-mailed me back after a few weeks to make sure his suggestions were working for me.

Yeah, this information is second hand obviously but he was struggling with them all last season.

Yeah, this information is second hand obviously but he was struggling with them all last season.

That sucks. Is he certain it is a carb issue? I thought I had a problem with my novi's, but turns out I was too inept to connect my water lines on my exhaust correctly (R&D wet pipe without water injection at the time).

jetski9010

Team RTYD
I have run both single and dual powerbombs and absolutely love the way they run. I think the problem might be in your tuning. I have ridden skis with OEM 38/44/46s, dual SREs, and blackjacks and NONE have run as well as my powerbombs. I have a buddy running blackjacks and can't get them tuned right, he said he called and emailed Art and didn't get much help.
I was having the same problem when I bought a used 44 blackjack that the guy said "just came back from being rebuilt by jetworks". I kept having problems trying to tune it and I had talked to art several times about jetting and the specs he was giving me was not working. I finally just sent the carb to him to look at and it was all messed up. He was telling me some of the gaskets and etc were the wrong ones and the rubber was all expanded. He rebuilt the carb and now it rips. This is why I shy away from buying used carbs now. I paid $175 for a used 44 blackjack and it took me 6 trips to the lake and the price to overhaul the carb to fix it when art sells them brand new for around $299 jetted for your ski.

Here are the ones i have. The best i ever got them still had a hesitation off throttle. i gave up on them awhile ago just paper weights now. i'm running stock 44's and the ski runs great. might upgrade to blackjacks when i finish the other ski. Blowsion said the powerbombs were good carbs and could tune them for me but i've been happy with the 44's so i haven't bothered. Yamanube how do you have them jetted?

Attachments

• powerbombs.jpeg
    powerbombs.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 62
i tried it with and without one there was no difference. looked to me like it was restricted internally when i was changing out the jets, the return circuit went through a little pin hole inside.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Interesting. That must be a change to how it used to be.
I think we've talked about before, but I have a real hard time remembering anything more than 2 days ago.

Top Bottom