Blaster Blaster project

I finally got my Blaster on the water! I have been out with an injury and have waiting months to try this thing out! The last time I rode, it was completely stock. I was able to collect a good list of parts at a good price, with the help of several members on here (Thanks guys!). My goal was to boost performance a little without ending my marriage. (So far so good)

Blaster list of mods:
Wetjet 46mm SBN carburetor
Wetjet reed stuffer manifold
Boysean two stage reeds
Oceanpro Vortex flame arrestor
Primer/choke plate eliminated
Protec half girdle
Wetjet/Westcoast with 30cc domes (180psi)
Wetjet/Westcoast pipe (everything has been shaped to match the exhaust gasket)
TDR waterbox
Skat-trak 12-17 big hub prop, 3mm set back
Protec open intake grate
R&D ride plate...

So I get it backed into the water and idle it for a little while to get the low screw and idle set. Everything looked good. Cooling system was working and no there was no flames or explosion, great! I get it out on the water and accelerate away from the shore. I am amazed at the difference! I didn't recognize my ski! It was fun stock, but it's a monster now! It's hard to explain how snappy the throttle is and how hard it pulls! All was well then I noticed my newly installed pisser stopped flowing (probably bad) and I shut it down immediately. I completed my cardio for the day with a nice little swim. Luckily I shut it down because I found the cooling line to the head had popped off. A new hose clamp and I was good to go! I sure am glad I installed that pisser because this would have been a depressing thread.

I need to get a tach on this thing so I can really tune it right. The old Butt Dyno said I'm close. At the end of the day I noticed my fuel pump was leaking and I could not stop it by tightening the bolts. I put the Blaster back on the trailer and continued riding my old WaveJammer (nothing like the Blaster but still one of my favorite skis!). I will pull it off and see why tomorrow.

Here is my rough game plan for jetting after yesterday's tests: I am going to bump my main jet up from a 155 to a 157.5 because the plug chop looked good but the high side was out nearly three turns. The low might stay at 130 because there was no lean hesitation. The transition was perfect so the pop off pressure is right on. Of course, I am going to deal with the leak prior to changing anything. I don't think it was leaking during the tests but I cannot be sure.

All I can say is my ski is on the right track! The motor makes ridiculous power compared to stock. The new impellor is amazing as well. I feel NO cavitation at all. You hit the throttle and it jumps out of the water! The ski feels better in all ways!

I just wanted to give everyone an update my project and thank you for your help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 298
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 304
I hope to get mine thrown together soon, is that TDR waterbox the baffle style? How does it sound? I have the powerspray going in mine.

Mine is a power spray without the spray. It is not crazy loud but it certainly throaty. It sounds pretty awesome! You will like it a lot!

I fixed the fuel pump leak today. The paper gasket had a little tear and was causing the leak. I'll have to get it back on the water to verify my jetting. I'm at 130 for the pilot at 1 1/4 turn. It idles very smooth and has amazing throttle response. I could probably turn back the screw to 1 turn and back off the idle screw and get the same results. I think the pop off is pretty much right on. I have a 155 main in it now. It was running good last time I had it on the water but I had the high screw at nearly 3 turns. This could have been due to the fuel leak so I'm going to stick with the current jetting and retest. I'm going to bring along a 127.5 pilot, 157.5 main, and a 160 main just in case.

thanks for posting the jetting. I still have my wetjet intake and 46 on the shelf waiting for time to put it on. Im thinking of trying 120L 150H with the 46 riding 7000' grant lake elevation
are you using a 2.0 n&s?
and were you riding Klondike?

I'm using the 2.0 needle and seat. I'll let you know how this jetting combo works out. It was really pulling hard last time I rode. My ski was fun before but now it is a completely different animal. I was riding at Klondike.

I'll finally get to test the Blaster on Sunday! I double checked the Blaster while running it in the hose and it seems to be running good. I also lowered the popoff on the Jammer so its throttle response is much better too.

While I was in there I replaced and cleaned up the hoses.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 251
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 255
I picked up one of those tiny tachometers to help get my ski dialed in. I'm going to use the GPS speedometer on my phone to do some before and after comparisons. I know it feels faster in all ways but I want a little more data than what the old butt dyno can provide. Last season I GPSed it and was topping out at a little over 40mph. I don't think my ski was set up perfect for my altitude of 4000' and might have been a little rich. Hopefully I can see at least mid 40s...

I'll finally get to put the Blaster in the water tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes and have some solid before and after data for comparison. Last season I was able to top out at 40mph so hopefully I can get 45mph out of it. No matter what I know the acceleration is amazing! The Blaster feels like it has twice the power. That 12-17 skat C75 was a great choice. This thing hooks up and takes off with authority! I'll keep you posted!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 215

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Nothing better then a well setup blaster! Jetting looks spot on.

On the Tach, If the numbers are slowing dropping at full throttle you are lean.

Well I'll be changing the main jet from 157.5 to 160. This thing is thirsty! I wasn't able to GPS the Blaster because it was obvious I needed to richen the main jet because as I was out 3 turns and she still wanted more! I might order a 162.5 just in case.

I was able to GPS my WaveJammer at 31.2 mph on chop! I feel pretty good about that considering I'm around 240 lbs! I discovered the old Jammer is not quite the ideal machine for racing on the buoy course! I did however squeak by a with win against a buddy with bone stock JS550 on a three lap challenge. Yep the old 500 must have gotten into his head with pure intimidation! He said, "He could have passed me..." but we have all heard that before! Face it, you lost to a Jammer 500...

Even though I haven't quite gotten the Blaster dialed in, it was still a fun day at the lake with the family!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 204
Well I think I'm ready for this weekend of tuning. My tach, 162.5, and 165 main jets came in today. I have a 160 main in it now but wanted to have the next two sizes up just in case. I read up on the jetting thread and saw some people ran up to a 170 main on their single 46 builds. Hopefully I can get it dialed in. It seems to like the 130 pilot jet an 19-20 psi popoff. It was definitely lean up top though. I'll let you know on Sunday!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 183
Ok I finally got to take the Blaster on the water today and it seems to be still not going past 3/4 throttle. If pin it from a dead stop, the motor almost dies, this is a symptom of being really lean. I went up to a 165 main with the same results. If I have an air leak I assume it's a small one because the motor isn't revving out of control. I notice there is some side to side and up and down play in the throttle shaft. Could this cause a small enough of an air leak to cause a lean hesitation but not run away? With it idling in the water I sprayed carb cleaner on all of the gasket surfaces to see if the engine RPMs changed. I did not notice a change.

I did have my pop off around 14psi and it RIPPED! That day I noticed the fuel pump was leaking so I pulled the carb of and broke it down. I read in the mikuni manual you should go under 20 psi so I changed springs and got the popoff at twenty. Now that I think of it this is when my problems started. I'm running a 2.0 needle and seat. What were you running? I have a 2.3 and a 2.5 on hand.

I did have my pop off around 14psi and it RIPPED! That day I noticed the fuel pump was leaking so I pulled the carb of and broke it down. I read in the mikuni manual you should go under 20 psi so I changed springs and got the popoff at twenty. Now that I think of it this is when my problems started. I'm running a 2.0 needle and seat. What were you running? I have a 2.3 and a 2.5 on hand.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
You can try a 2.3, but might want to go straight to the 2.5.
popoff.jpg

Did you have any issues with fuel dribbling at idle running that big of a needle and seat with so low of popoff? You think by raising my popoff to 20psi caused my total loss of 75%-100% throttle?

The day I first tested my ski about three weeks ago the thing really was incredible! It PULLED from a dead stop to full speed with a stupid amount of power. I was worried I was going to run lean up top because of the fuel pump leak. I was three turns out on the high screw so decided to jet up on the main. Does too high a popoff affect the high speed circuit that much?

How much play is acceptable in the throttle shaft?

You think the 2.0 needle and high popoff was just staving it for fuel? It won't go past 3/4 throttle with out wanting to cut out. Hopefully the 12-14 with the 2.3 will supply more fuel all around the throttle curve. I'm not sure how I managed to get 14 psi with a 2.0 need (weak spring maybe) but it pulled pretty hard.

Top Bottom