Super Jet Bolt on wide bond rail kit for SJ

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
I have been working on these for ahile and wanted to see what everyone thought. This is my 3rd set I have made so far and it was my first full scale run. I still have to redo the molds for them to get a better fit with less sanding, and test them on a few other skis besides my WCF hull, but they in theory should fit any stock SJ by cutting off the stock rails, and then install them just like a pair of foot holds, scuff up the stock hull, pre drill and bolt/rivet them on and use some epoxy resin to stick them to the hull, then turf. They are 2" on the top, and taper to 3 1/4 with a 40* angle on the rail.

a996e989.jpg

cc7acd3b.jpg

57f678f8.jpg

9c3abbe9.jpg

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
!cid__Photo-0077.jpgPhoto-02638.jpgPhoto-0269.jpgNot sure about the full lenth mod, but I can tell you that mine extends to the rear of the Destroyers and tapers back in.... Makes a huge difference with the reshaped nose/bond line area combination.

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
I can try a set like that. I was going off of what scotts and the trinity skis have done going full length. I was even debating of adding more length at the rear like a superfreak hull.

btmboards

Brett
I will post up a couple pics of my ski a little latter today, the last picture you have from the front looks like it would work great for my ski. If you need some superjet Surfride testing done on these I am your man. (give me an hour or two and your see what Im talking about.)

Attachments

• IMG_6023.jpg
    IMG_6023.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_6025.jpg
    IMG_6025.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

btmboards

Brett
why is your ski so angry?

everyone asks that about me so I just tried going for the same look with my build....

this is the only pic I have of the first paint coat I put on after the build to get me by for a bit since I finish the glass work 1 day before leaving for the pismo trip. It was painted like a shark.
download.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
btmboards, do you like not having the rails at all?

I have always thought of the wider rails as a surf mod rather than a flat water.

Crab, have you tired a full length? I only ask because it would be easy to make a half set rather than a full, less room in my garage with 7 foot long molds everywhere

once I know they fit on another SJ with no issues, and I ride this weekend and get a bit of feedback, then I will work on my molds some and see what needs to be tweaked so I can make some nice ones. If there is a bit of demand, I have no problem sending a few sets out to people to spread the word and get some more feedback.

btmboards

Brett
btmboards, do you like not having the rails at all?
I have always thought of the wider rails as a surf mod rather than a flat water.

I cant really say that I like not having them, I do definitely want some in the rear behind the sponsions to help grab water on turns because right now I am sliding a bit too much. If doing them in the rear I would like to all the way around sponsons then is the front a bit too to help with the spray. I am loving the direction the ski is going in but the hull still needs some tweaking and rails are one of those tweaks I wanna try.
Im always down to try new things with my hull, Im not afraid to bolt or glass something in for the sake of finding out what works and what doesnt.

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
once you are up on a plain, the rear is the only part in the water, the wider in the front would only seem to help like tubbies do, by adding more lift in the front, and to help with pearling in the surf. Comparing other AM hulls, the trinity's use 45* rails that are wider, and super freaks are stock width up front, and taper to a angle and are much longer in the rear. So its hard to say what is best until everything is tested out. maybe on my next set I can make a longer rear section, and they can always be trimmed off if not wanted. Same as the rear, I angle cut mine to let the rear slide out some

btmboards

Brett
ya I got rolled bad a few times from pearling in big surf before the build. I havent yet since I did the mods, I have got into some pretty iffy situations and put the nose under but been able pull it back out. If I were to build my own rail right now I would do the front almost identical t what you have then in the read I would make them a bit taller, since I need more bite in the rear.

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
Adding more to the rear is easy, you could almost add an adjustable or bolt on rear section to the rail to lower it more or raise it up. I do like to be able to slide when I want to off the rear, but I do like to pretend I can run buoys so sliding would be less desirable

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
Took the ski out for the first time this weekend and the wide rails worked better than expected! The ski was much more stable at lower speeds, I could stand at idle on a windy day with no effort, and when turning at higher speeds, the rear had alot more bite over stock and I felt like I could keep laying it down, but if I put my weight back, could slide out with no problem.
I was debating on making the nose section more narrow, just for looks, but after riding all day, it was nice to have the added area up front as a much larger splash deflector. For my test ride, the rails were only being held on by 10 bolts on each side with no glue or sealent between the stock rails, and the bolt ons, so in actuality one should just use silicon if they wanted to be able to swap them on and off. I will post up how they are bolted on later, and hope to hit some surf and let some others try them out soon!

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
here is the latest one, right off the mold. I am sure this will be the final test one, then I will finalize my mold to make the next ones come out much nicer. I added some black epoxy dye to this batch because black is a cool color! and it looks better since I am not turfing mine until I am done. I would not run these unturfed, they will hurt!

I will probably also be looking for some "local" beta tester that are willing to take the plunge and hack up there RN SJ, I am trying to avoid shipping at this time while while I look for a good way to ship them without costing a fortune. PM if you are interested

22cd2d7f.jpg

b00e99f1.jpg

New thicker material, very strong!

f552ea8a.jpg

7ba95f74.jpg

Top Bottom