Brand New "Valiant" Blue SXR

Mr. SeXieR

Carry a gun,cops R2 heavy
l_2f4b4f31f7d744c79fd145dbbe9e54bd.jpg

l_7ef092c38d17420eac98fcc8b36417dd.jpg

l_9bf9f9219e894d5ea769a045f78f3f2c.jpgSo I rode my buddies 06 SXR last summer til it died and he took it away, forcing me to buy my own 08 SXR. So being the noob that I am, what would be your absolute first mods? I ride recreationally but hard and obsessively, the learning curve on the SXR is very rewarding!! So I am sure I'll be wanting the biggest performance increases with the smallest investment , and I dont want to replace things I can break myself first (handlepoles etc) What would you do? ride plate? sponsons? foot holds? Decals......just make it purrrty?

Last edited:

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
It depends on what you plan on doing with it primarily. If you ride flat water, and like running buoys or are into racing- then get a ride plate, intake, sponsons, and returf the tray. If you like to do that, but also dabble in nose stabs, jump boat wakes and sub it, then get footholds, invest in a new aluminum handlepole and maybe some 0 degree bars (if you find them comfortable-otherwise stick with the stockers), a bilge pump, and forgo the sponsons. Maybe an intake grate and D cut the ride plate.
These are all very easy mods that increase the enjoyment and maintain the reliability of the SXR. If you want more, then look into the pipe, impeller swap, and weight saving hood and cutting out glue and trimming the fat inside the ski.

I you really enjoy carving hard, get a TBM superscoop intake grate and plate combo. You can actually just ride the stock plate for now with the intake and you will notice a big difference. If you like more freestyle then D-cut the stock plate and run the stock intake. Bars (0 degree or 4 degree) and grips will also bee a big improvement from stock.

rehak2

Here we go again!
bars, grips, intake grate, ride plate are always good starters. Then when you are ready for more power, head, pipe, timing advance all works well. Good luck and have fun! Nice ski btw

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
Freestyle on an SXR?

Laugh.
Freestyle on an SXR carries a different definition than freestyle on a SJ, for sure.
When I say freestyle on an SXR, this in no way translates to flat water barrel rolls or backies in any way- no way can a stock or close to stock SXR pull that off properly. Off boat wakes or smaller waves? Sure, the barrel roll is possible. Serious weight mods and power mods would be needed there...not to mention a talented rider.
When I refer to freestyle on my SXR, I am talking any type of stuff you can pull off in smaller surf or boat wakes: nose stabs, barrel rolls, no handers, etc. On flat water, probably some subs, fountains, and other simple maneuvers.
The SXR was constructed primarily for race and closed course buoy racing; that's its specialty. It pretty much can do that exceptionally well and better than a SJ right out of the box. The SJ is a freestlye machine. If this is your first time on a standup, the SXR is a great way to learn. It's stable and fun to ride. When you feel you are ready for more serious stuff, then get a SJ... but I plan on keeping my SXR when I do that-it always is fun running buoy courses with.

Mr. SeXieR

Carry a gun,cops R2 heavy
CIMG2268.jpg

CIMG2336.jpgI appreciate all the info guys, and Im well versed in the SXR SJ sebate. I prefer bigger motors, going faster, and jumping extremely large boat wakes. (Lake Travis has hundreds of boats over 50' and even a 72' liner) I like both but for the speed freak in me no doubt the SXR sold me. I also feel more confident landing bigger jumps on the larger boat.

So I did my first tinkering with my ski today, aestetically speaking, I pulled off all my factory warning stickers with a hairdryer and cleaned the residue with goo gone. HUGE difference. The ski looks fantastic.

PS.... I think the lines are sharper and faster looking than the SJ too....;)

Last edited:

wavegoddess

pimpin' aint ez...
Freestyle on an SXR carries a different definition than freestyle on a SJ, for sure.
When I say freestyle on an SXR, this in no way translates to flat water barrel rolls or backies in any way- no way can a stock or close to stock SXR pull that off properly. Off boat wakes or smaller waves? Sure, the barrel roll is possible. Serious weight mods and power mods would be needed there...not to mention a talented rider.
When I refer to freestyle on my SXR, I am talking any type of stuff you can pull off in smaller surf or boat wakes: nose stabs, barrel rolls, no handers, etc. On flat water, probably some subs, fountains, and other simple maneuvers.
The SXR was constructed primarily for race and closed course buoy racing; that's its specialty. It pretty much can do that exceptionally well and better than a SJ right out of the box. The SJ is a freestlye machine. If this is your first time on a standup, the SXR is a great way to learn. It's stable and fun to ride. When you feel you are ready for more serious stuff, then get a SJ... but I plan on keeping my SXR when I do that-it always is fun running buoy courses with.

Well said! The lake we ride has some serious cruisers that put out sick wakes, so that's not a problem here in Tejas!

View attachment 75739

View attachment 75740I appreciate all the info guys, and Im well versed in the SXR SJ sebate. I prefer bigger motors, going faster, and jumping extremely large boat wakes. (Lake Travis has hundreds of boats over 50' and even a 72' liner) I like both but for the speed freak in me no doubt the SXR sold me. I also feel more confident landing bigger jumps on the larger boat.

So I did my first tinkering with my ski today, aestetically speaking, I pulled off all my factory warning stickers with a hairdryer and cleaned the residue with goo gone. HUGE difference. The ski looks fantastic.

PS.... I think the lines are sharper and faster looking than the SJ too....;)

I take it you didn't follow the 08 superjet that closely.

Last I heard it was overtaking the SXR on the bouys.

wavegoddess

pimpin' aint ez...
I take it you didn't follow the 08 superjet that closely.

Last I heard it was overtaking the SXR on the bouys.

well...I don't think JDs going to be "racing" anytime soon. So who gives a F if the NEW SJ can beat the SXR... :rolleyes: He is just excited about his new toy, and here you are bursting his bubble in each post....

Last edited:
Fact of the matter is, I would bet he bought it by circumstance.

Its just like when someone buys a 5.0 mustang, builds it up, and tries to compete at the track with supercharged ZO6 vettes.

And all the while he is talking about the upgrades to his 5.0, and how he is going to make it as much like the supercharged z06 vettes as possible.

FYI, that annoys the ZO6 owners.

If you're going to buy a 5.0 mustang, that is absoultely fantastic. More power to you. But don't tell the ZO6 owners about your build plans. ANd if you're still going to tell them, expect them to poke fun at you.

Its just like when someone buys a 5.0 mustang, builds it up, and tries to compete at the track with supercharged ZO6 vettes.

And all the while he is talking about the upgrades to his 5.0, and how he is going to make it as much like the supercharged z06 vettes as possible.

If you're going to buy a 5.0 mustang, that is absoultely fantastic. More power to you. But don't tell the ZO6 owners about your build plans. ANd if you're still going to tell them, expect them to poke fun at you.
i
ha cracks me up when people get so defensive about brand of skis who cares if ya don't like sxr's then don't post on a sxr thread telling a guy how :):):):)ty his new machine is lol i love my sxr but would gladly ride a yami too!

wavegoddess

pimpin' aint ez...

sweet, thanks for the input. I will keep that in mind when I am in the market for a 5.0....

wavegoddess

pimpin' aint ez...
i
ha cracks me up when people get so defensive about brand of skis who cares if ya don't like sxr's then don't post on a sxr thread telling a guy how :):):):)ty his new machine is lol i love my sxr but would gladly ride a yami too!

x2 brother! I love em' both. :Banane35:

Top Bottom