Calling out Chuckie from Team Scream on msd tl

my total loss was running fine in salt until i sunk my ski. now it only runs good in fresh. i mean i can be at the beach and it's running crappy, i pull it out and put it in the lake and no issues runs great. i'm gonna try the grease idea at all the connections and see if that helps.

i broke my pole then this guy offered to tow me in, but i think:eek2: he was really trying to drown me :eek2: see if you can recognize him from this picture:biggrin:

Attachments

• lincoln city sunk.JPG
    lincoln city sunk.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 290
  • new sunk.jpg
    new sunk.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Yeah, you gotta watch that bald guy. He is trouble.

Now, who is that hottie in the sexy red lifejacket?

EDIT FOR OT CONTENT: I don't think his connections were greased. He also had a bunch of water in the flywheel area.

Last edited:

Watty

Random Performance
I've recently gone through a total loss install with great results. I also ride 98% in salt water, and I abuse my ski quite heavily, and for over 15 hours of riding, I haven't had a single issue. A few pointers, whcih I may put into some kind of TL install document for the site...

- Mount the system on epoxy board or perspex (good thick stuff)
- Use Deutsch connectors on every group of wires exiting the brain
- Use silicon/dielectric grease on EVERY connector
- Use plenty of earth's, and if in doubt, use thicker gauge wire (esp. on coil earths)
- Have all your earths running to a central location (I use the midshaft housing by having a thick earth running from engine)
- Mount your coils as far away from brain as you possibly can
- The MSD grommet works fine. Use plenty of di-e grease, and when you punch the 2 new holes, make them tiny so the wires are a very tight fit
- Try to keep all your MSD standard wiring. Don't put joins in them. The less joins you have, the less chance of problems. On a Superjet, ALL the wires are long enough (pickup wires will go straight into one end of a Deutsch connector!) to reach to the rear firewall.
- Always verify IDENTICAL timing on each cylinder before running. If they aren't the same, something is wrong, or your pickups are out of alignment.
- Use a blanking grommet in the pickup plate where the wires run through. Punch a tiny hole in it, and then feed the 4 wires through. Then, put some sticky backs on the plate and zip tie the wires down to the plate. No chance of damaged wires/vibration here.

There's more, but that will do for now! This works really well for me, and again, I'm hard on my boats, and ride 98% in salt.

P.S...I have a cad drawing of my TL mounting plate that is very neat and makes things easy to access/remove and troubleshoot should the need arise!

When it works, it's awesome. There are drawbacks though.

The system I put on my 550 back in 95/96 is still running apparently based on what the kid that bought it posted on pwctoday. That's an old analog system. I had problems with my single coil digital setup though so sold it for what I paid for it, $150.

the total loss you had was rewired and cleaned up . i sunk my ski in daytona and had it half sunk a few other times due to my one way on the gas tank falling off and stuck in the scupper.it always works perfect.i was wondering why you sold it to ryan so cheap.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
the total loss you had was rewired and cleaned up . i sunk my ski in daytona and had it half sunk a few other times due to my one way on the gas tank falling off and stuck in the scupper.it always works perfect.i was wondering why you sold it to ryan so cheap.

The first brain I used died, so I switched to my spare which I had gotten for free. I got the mounting plate for free also, and so I just wanted out of it what i had into it. I've never been one to try to make money off jetski parts.

I was just wanting a little info on his msd setup. Post was not made to insult, just to encourage chuck to write a guide on the way he sets up msd for salt.

obviously a poor choice of words

Last edited:
So, what does an oring in the spark plug cap do? Has anyone ever had a problem with water getting under there plug boot and it causing the total loss to act up?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Salt water getting to an improperly sealed MSD plug boot will cause issues.
I've had that happen with a stock ignition with MSD caps.
The salt water will conduct spark energy from the plug terminal to the engine ground, zapping you through your finger throttle.

Not fun.

Especially if you're getting chased by a six foot breaker and the problem intensifies as RPM's go up.

Salt water getting to an improperly sealed MSD plug boot will cause issues.
I've had that happen with a stock ignition with MSD caps.
The salt water will conduct spark energy from the plug terminal to the engine ground, zapping you through your finger throttle.

Not fun.

Especially if you're getting chased by a six foot breaker and the problem intensifies as RPM's go up.

So, its not really a TL issue. It is just a salt water issue with any ignition.

Top Bottom