FX-1 can someone help me find the fx1 pump converion threads?

I searched for "pump" and "pump conversion" in the fx1 section and got 6 pages of threads but didnt manage to find the one i was looking for. It doesnt help that just about every thread in the fx1 section mentions the pump swap

I need a thread with all the info i can find about the 140mm pump conversion and exactly what parts i will need to order. I know i have seen i thread that covered all this info in the past but i cant manage to dig it up.

I was gonna post this in the fx1 section but its quite slow and if im gonna do the conversion i need to make sure i can get the parts in before spring break

Last edited:
You need a 650 pump and a 900xzi shaft. Use modern 750-800 props. A custom bearing/seal holder will be needed for the mid housing and can be cut from an existing 650-900 carrier..

Last edited:
For prop I would just call impros and order a Skat c75 cutback and pitched for your ski. Dave's the man with that.

Attachments

• DSC04627.jpg
    DSC04627.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 18
  • imp3.jpg
    imp3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Just throw the 144 in it. Easier IMO, an you won't have any Kawi parts on your ski.lol

After some more consideration thats probably what ill go with. It was my original plan but a few people said the 140 was easier. I suppose ill start lookin into the 144 instead. Im proving to be quite indecisive on the matter. I just need to order some parts and commit!

You always convince people away from the kawi when it is actually less work, cheaper parts, no more mid shaft, easy and inexpensive to replace bearings in the housing, and if you use an x-2 set up it gives you trim. If you need parts down the road no worries finding anything and no selling kidneys to buy stuff.

And barely anybody will notice the 4mm difference.

My opinion is some of you ARE swaying people away from the Kawi swap when in the end it will end up better for normal rec rider the first time they have any drive train problems.

minus the prop and trim stuff I can probably pick up everything for the x-2 pump swap for $120. That's with new bearing and seals in the housing and a good freshwater shaft and pump..

Hmmm my shaft goes bad, no big deal $30 for a new one. Oops I chunked my pump, let me find another 650 one for $50-$60. Never have to worry about trying to track down and then pay for a fx-1 midshaft should you bend or mess your stock one up.

And it's less work IMO. I did the 650 swap on my main ski and the back up hull has most of the sj pump swap done but will probably never get installed as I have different ideas if I ever need that hull.

Last edited:
You always convince people away from the kawi when it is actually less work, cheaper parts, no more mid shaft, easy and inexpensive to replace bearings in the housing, and if you use an x-2 set up it gives you trim. If you need parts down the road no worries finding anything and no selling kidneys to buy stuff.

My opinion is some of you ARE swaying people away from the Kawi swap when in the end it will end up better for normal rec rider the first time they have any drive train problems.

minus the prop and trim stuff I can probably pick up everything for the x-2 pump swap for $120. That's with new bearing and seals in the housing and a good freshwater shaft and pump..

Hmmm my shaft goes bad, no big deal $30 for a new one. Oops I chunked my pump, let me find another 650 one for $50-$60. Never have to worry about trying to track down and then pay for a fx-1 midshaft should you bend or mess your stock one up.

And it's less work IMO. I did the 650 swap on my main ski and the back up hull has most of the sj pump swap done but will probably never get installed as I have different ideas if I ever need that hull.

A 144 swap requires a lot more work to make it perform as it should. The Kawasaki swap is best for the amount of work involved.

get a superjet...

Who on earth would want to do that?! Ive ridden a couple SJs, one with a ADA 951 in it, and my stock fx feels way better.

Hmm, well maybe the 140 is a better idea. Could you elaborate on the trim? I rode a sj with a trim setup and quit liked it.
Also are the 650 and x2 pumps the same of slightly different? I need to figure out exactly what to buy so i can post a wanted thread or start searching.

Any Kawasaki 650 engined craft (SX, X2, TS, SC) uses the same pump. The X2 has a trim nozzle that is really nice to have, and the X2 is the only ski that this can be obtained from.

The absolute best bang for the buck would be the following:

650 pump (any will do, as long as it's in good condition...... usually around $100)
900 or 1100 zxi driveshaft (less than $50)
X2 nozzle (around $30-$40)

Then you can decide between using bearings/seals that have have Kawi inside diameter and Yamaha outside diameter in your stock Yamaha bearing housing, or have a Kawasaki housing machined to fit inside your Yamaha housing....either one works. I think the latter will yield a longer life.

If you follow the Kawi pump threads, you'll end up with a setup tha allows you to use your FX scoop grate, FX steering cable, have trim, and fit your ride plate without spacers and ill handling effects.

The Superjet pump is a great way to go too, but I'm not sure I'd charactorize it as "less work" unless you really cut corners.

The best part is that no matter which path you choose, it will be a %1000 improvement over the stock FX pump!!

With the X2 nozzle can i run it without a trim system or do i have to do it all at once? Id love to have a trim setup in the long run but for now im more worried about getting the pump in and working correctly. Also do you guys have any more info on the trim install? ive seen plenty of pump conversion threads and many that mentioned the x2 trim but never how its done.
Also why is the machining a better idea then the different bearings? I dont full understand what needs to be machined really as im not really sure how the housings even work. And lastly, this is gonna sounda fairly stupid but how dodes the zxi shaft fit through the bearings? The couple side looks like it has a larger diameter so im assuming the prop side is put through the bearings from the engine compartment and just linds straight from the couplers to the prop instead of a 2 part shaft?

Sorry for so many questions, im at school about 40 miles from home with no car here so i cant really go look at my ski to figure out what needs to be done but i need to get ready asap so i can knock it out before its time to ride. The weather has been awesome here lately!

The X2 nozzle will simply default to full down position if you don't hook up any trim mechanism. I use a simple adjustment knob at the rear of the ski to fine tune the nozzle position. You can also setup a trim lever/cable to have trim on demand....the way I ride I don't need this capability, but I'm sure some do.

Once your bearing housing is installed on the bulkhead, the shaft simply slides through from the engine side and then you line up the spline end of the shaft with the nose of the prop and push until it bottoms out.

Ive seen the pics of your knob setup and i suppose that would be a good way to set it up until i go back and install a lever and cable.

Do you think everything will still work fine if i can find the bearings with the kawi inner and yami outter so i can skip the machining for now?
Also in your thread you mentioned that you machined part of the housing so that you did not have to grind and more fiberglass to get the housing bolted back up. What part were you referring to machining? Does the kawi core stick back further?

Waternut

Customizing addict
That auction is only for the steering nozzle on the X-2 setup. It shows it on kawasaki's parts diagram on their website. No clue on the shafts.

Top Bottom