SXR Cannibal's build - IS FINISHED!!! decks split, rocker nose, -3

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Been working on it a bit here and there between the typical life stuff. Borrowing a ski and riding on Sunday. Hope to get more done this weekend. Need to order some micro-balloons, cab-o-sil and some other supplies. My epoxy is almost 2 years old, need to to a test batch and make sure it's still good.

I have been sanding like crazy with a belt sander. I have the hull sanded down to about 3/16" now, still more to go. My plan is to take it pretty thin, like 1/6-1/8", fill the cracks, then lay down some glass over it to strengthen it back up. I'm actually hoping it comes out lighter than original. The bottom deck alone was 74lbs...she's a fat pig.

I'm surprised I haven't recieved any "what the hell...why", "most retarded build ever", "keep trying to polish that turd"....lol.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I'm surprised I haven't recieved any "what the hell...why", "most retarded build ever", "keep trying to polish that turd"....lol.

Okay. Get a superjet!!!

Just kidding, I'm subscribed to see how this comes out. Im surprised kx454 hasn't posted in here yet.

good luck on the build

"what the hell"... What else are you going to do in your spare time?

"why"..... Why not?

"most retarded build ever".........Palm meet forehead with a head shake

"keep trying to polish that turd"....I hope at least your going to paint it brown and for god sake's man use some Honda wax if your going to polish it

Keep up the good work.

Been working on it a bit here and there between the typical life stuff. Borrowing a ski and riding on Sunday. Hope to get more done this weekend. Need to order some micro-balloons, cab-o-sil and some other supplies. My epoxy is almost 2 years old, need to to a test batch and make sure it's still good.

I have been sanding like crazy with a belt sander. I have the hull sanded down to about 3/16" now, still more to go. My plan is to take it pretty thin, like 1/6-1/8", fill the cracks, then lay down some glass over it to strengthen it back up. I'm actually hoping it comes out lighter than original. The bottom deck alone was 74lbs...she's a fat pig.

LOL, whatever floats your boat. If it were me I would have sold the ski and gone back to a SN.:fingersx:

I think it's gonna be sweet as long as you don't gain too much weight over the stock hull.

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Actually trying to really lose some weight over stock. 11lbs of glue removed that won't be going back in. A few ounces of 5200 is all I'll need for the tubes and such.

I'm also thinning the hull out and reinforcing it, I'm taking pretty good care to not add weight.

I didn't weigh it before, but I'll be comparing it with one of the other stock SXRs around here when done. Hoping with a few of the other mods like lightening the hood, lighter waterbox, x-metal pole, etc, it will all add up to 30-40lbs total weight difference, but that might be optimistic.

Its all about the surf!
Nice Cannibal! I'll be honest, an SXR wouldn't have been my choice for this type of build, but I think you've done a great job!!! One big mistake I see you did was remove all the irreplaceable, petroleum resistant, polystyrene that comes OEM in an SXR tray! That stuff never waterlogs, Just curious why you did that?

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Thanks!

I took all of that foam out in as many large pieces that I could so I can put it all back in like a puzzle.

IMO, the only thing the SXR has going against it is the weight. The hull is strong, the design is solid, it just needs to be transformed from a race ski to a freeride ski with a few mods. I just took them a little far. It's a long ski, so rockering the nose and -2 the back should make it feel smaller. We shall see.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Nice work man. Maybe I wont be the only one who does not finish his ski before summer, (hee hee)

Lol...bite your tongue Adam!

+1 to what Matt said. So hard to have more than one obsession. I was planning on brewing up a metric sh!+ ton of beer this winter to keep me stocked up through....ummm spring?...but the engine blew and while I had that apart....and while I had that apart....and while I had that apart....big ol snowball here. Hmmm, project snowball. I think I've named her.

Looks like I have some carbon and the equipment to put together a vacuum pump system with auto on/off all on the way. Still lots of work to be done before I'm ready to lay some fabric. I'll be working right through Superbowl while the wife is at the bar drinking without me. I'll probably end up DD. That woman can drink me under the table...damn German livers, kicks the crap out of my Irish liver.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Glad I could help Adam!!!

I will look at chopping more. I didn't really want to deal with having the ride plate holes different than stock, then I'm committed to drilling new holes in ride plates just to test them. I know there have been others that leave the pump tunnel whole and basically cut the corners out. This would be a better option, but that is yet to be determined. This is one of my chops for this weekend.

I was up looking at Jason's (440/550) new Q8 tonight and the bottom is pretty much a shortened and rockered SXR. His reduction nozzle lines up with the back of the ski and the steering nozzle hangs out. I'll see how much I would need to cut to achieve the same thing.

What worries me is chopping too much, I weigh 210 and don't really want to have a ski that rides too low in the back. My last SJ was cut too much for me and even had a long Dominator ride plate to compensate. Still didn't work for me, but the SXR is a different creature and my top deck is moved forward 2", so now is removing 4" the same as removing 2" from a stock ski???? Sounds good anyway, right?

Sweet jeebus... that's a lot of work! It should turn out pretty cool once the dust settles. What are your plans for the motor? Are you leaving it stock or are you having nay mods done to it?

Top Bottom