Cerakote an ebox backing plate?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
A local guy has started up a business Cerakoting firearms and I spoke to him briefly about possibly doing an ebox backing plate as an experiment to see if it lasts any longer in salt than powder coat or epoxy.

I plan to take him one next week to play with but before I go ahead with this, can anyone speak with any opinion or experience that says it's a waste a time?

His initial concern was the quality of finish on the pot metal but as long as it holds up, do we really care about the finish that much?

Thoughts? Opinions?

OCD Solutions

What is Cerekote?

Cerakote is a Polymer-Ceramic Composite coating that can be applied to metals, plastics, polymers and wood. The unique formulation used for Cerakote ceramic coating enhances a number of physical performance properties including abrasion/wear resistance, corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, impact strength, and hardness. Each of these properties is rigorously tested to guarantee that Cerakote products remain at the forefront of the ceramic coatings market. Cerakote ceramic coatings utilize state-of-the-art technology to out-perform any competitive coating in both laboratory settings and real world applications.

yamabro

GP Performance / Patterson Powersports
I've had several AR's Cerakoted, And they hold up better than any powder coating or anodized part.
On some of the full auto builds we've done where we've gotten the barrel red hot we couldn't believe how great the cerakote held up.

OCD Solutions

Better than anodized even? That's impressive and encouraging!!

It's not cheap but it's really not that expensive either. I may have him do up 2 or 3 for me (bulk pricing is much better) and then put them in a couple boats to see how they stand up.

It is a durable coating that resists wear. Make sure to blast off all the old paint and scale. The stainless screws and mounting studs have a way of scratching through any finish causing galvanic corrosion. Using lots of thread sealant or marine grease will make all the difference.

OCD Solutions

I want to say they are similar but there's no way that knife coating is the same as the ceramic finish on my B-pipe.

My understanding was that ceramic coating was forcibly embedded into the surface with a bead blaster or tumbler system and Cerakote is sprayed from a LVLP gun and then heat cured.

My wife is out of town all week so I'm going to make a trip to my buddies shop this week and see the process first hand. I'm going to take him a couple pieces to do so hopefully I have a piece in hand to start testing on and then bring to Daytona for some show and tell.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

It's supposed to be the chit! It's all I hear about these days, that's why I'm shocked that nobody seems to know what it is.

There's at least a dozen guys within an hour of me that offer it and at least 3 out of 5 guns for sale on the local gun pages are custom coated. Like everything else, guys always want something specific that destroys the resale value.

OCD Solutions

The hard parts done...now to go pick it up and expose it to salt water...

My cost on this one was $75 but if I bring them to him already bead blasted then he will do any number of them for $60 each.

de6c837806b411efdfa6331babdedba6.jpg

This should work fairly well. I do part time cerakote work for a gun manufacturer, we have done a bunch of things from firearms to bongs all worked well. One thing to note is that bead blasting parts will not work as you need a more abrasive surface I would recommend using aluminum oxide.

OCD Solutions

This should work fairly well. I do part time cerakote work for a gun manufacturer, we have done a bunch of things from firearms to bongs all worked well. One thing to note is that bead blasting parts will not work as you need a more abrasive surface I would recommend using aluminum oxide.

To be clear, I call any and all abrasive blasting "bead blasting" in general discussions.

Top Bottom