clipless pedals suck

R Hudson

My mimi hurts!!!
Toe clips......

Been running them for years, with no problems.

I've tried clipless and gave it a good shot. No matter what I've done I can always get out of my toe clips with no problems and zero thought required. I just keep my straps loose enough to bail when necessary.

I do a lot of technical riding and there are times when I need to wait until the absolute last moment to decide if I'm going to bail or stick.

I've NEVER gotten stuck in my toe clips.

That's my opinion on them :)

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I can think of only one or two times that I have gotten stuck. First time was my first ride, crossing a bridge and my dog stopped at the other side. Could not get out, fell off the bridge. Second time just could not get out, I had come to a complete stop and just could not unclip.

I have gone over the bars when the front tire went into a depression that stopped the bike, I just stepped over the bars and kept running.

didnt even realize their was biking forum on here lol.
seriously once u get used too clippless and over the fear u will never go back. i now run them on downhil road and my xc bikes. been running them since about the age of 15. makes hopping fallen trees a lot easier. also works muscles better and makes pedaling easier if u learn too pull up with toes

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I actually switched back to platforms a couple of months ago and am much happier. For the trails around here, the kind of riding I do, etc, platforms with Vans work really well. I still have my eggbeaters/Sidi shoes and will use them occasionally, but for me I made the right choice.

SuperJETT

Yeah, I had several hard hits on my shoulders when I was learning clipless, but that's not what convinced me to switch. I actually got pretty good at getting out and one of the trail systems I ride is very suited to clipless, super fast/flowy with some climbs.

But, the other system I ride quite a bit is way slower, more technical, and I had a hard wipeout crossing a wet section where the front tire just went sideways (and I was going straight)---that tore me up pretty bad both in cuts and hits. After that, I bought some good platforms just to see and first ride on a trail I'm very familiar with, my rear slid out on a rocky section (while going straight again) and I was able to get my left foot down and stop---the bike was almost 90 degrees to the trail but I was still standing. That would have been a very painful fall because there are a bunch of large sharp rocks there.

Also, I ride with my wife and kids quite a bit so swapping out pedals gets old even though it only takes 3 minutes.

I think I just have more fun on the platforms too, I try more stuff since I'm not worried about not unclipping.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Thank you.

I'm trying to find his old thread on r/c cars and I'm digging up all sorts of old comedy gold.

SuperJETT

I clip in on my road bike, that's enough for me.

At Meetup trail rides, I always look around to see what kind of percentage it is on clipless/platforms and I'd say it's average 50/50 around here.

I guess if you ride clipless, then you only ride easy non-technical trails.....:rocketwhore:

SuperJETT

BTW, just a couple of months ago, I was leading a group ride and went across a short wooden bridge. It was damp and I was turning slightly to setup for the next turn when the back wheel slid out. **BECAUSE I WASN'T CLIPPED IN** I got a foot down and stayed on the bike as it did a 180 and I ended up facing the rider behind me who almost went down too. He said if I had been clipped in I would have probably gone off the bridge.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Wow, being a wuss saved your life. :biggrin:

Now give me a link to your r/c car thread.

Top Bottom