Other Computer Aided Handlpole Design

swapmeet

Brotastic
Just food for thought here since were all talking best scenarios and infinte possibilities.

What if you had 3 small tubes, in a triangle. It may not be equilateral because of the rectangular shape of the base and turn plate mount, but even slightly off set might help. Then for even more food for thought, connect all three tubes with a web or 1/8" flat stock, like an upside down "Y" shape.

Do If you used 3) 1" tubes, .125 wall it wouldnt be too bulky.

Of course, at that point you could break a sheet of aluminum into a triangle and just use that instead of tubes.

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
Looks like fun. I wish I would have bought some CAD software when I was in school and could get it for a reasonable price.

Ok here is my input on a pole idea. I would like to see a oval (ish), like you put the tops of two egg haves together. Single tube with a slight bend around halfway up that has a billet adjustable mount, kinda RRP styled, with a air spring assist. I think with this design has a lot of options to run air intake, cable/wire routing, and even foam for flotation, although I think flotation will be limited by volume. Once I get a TIG setup for my welder this summer I am going to mock up a welded version, before going CNC. I would like to see this design ran through the stress software!

Ok here is my input on a pole idea. I would like to see a oval (ish), like you put the tops of two egg haves together. Single tube with a slight bend around halfway up that has a billet adjustable mount, kinda RRP styled, with a air spring assist. I think with this design has a lot of options to run air intake, cable/wire routing, and even foam for flotation, although I think flotation will be limited by volume. Once I get a TIG setup for my welder this summer I am going to mock up a welded version, before going CNC. I would like to see this design ran through the stress software!

I'm going to Penn State , more specifically the Erie branch campus which is larger than many full blown colleges. This branch campus is in direct competition with the 2 local colleges. While I am using the student edition I have heard that inventor 2011 is available as a not so legal torrent.

I don't think ovals are a common aluminum shape that can be bought. What if I were to take one of my curved tubes, split it in half and weld 2 sheets of matching gauge/thickness 4" wide along the length. Labor costs would go through the roof for the cutting and welding of such long welds on thin material. I'm pretty sure any adjust-ability in length would be done at the base of the pole resulting is a lower mass moment of inertia along with other structural considerations.

I'm going to Penn State , more specifically the Erie branch campus which is larger than many full blown colleges. This branch campus is in direct competition with the 2 local colleges. While I am using the student edition I have heard that inventor 2011 is available as a not so legal torrent.

I don't think ovals are a common aluminum shape that can be bought. What if I were to take one of my curved tubes, split it in half and weld 2 sheets of matching gauge/thickness 4" wide along the length. Labor costs would go through the roof for the cutting and welding of such long welds on thin material. I'm pretty sure any adjust-ability in length would be done at the base of the pole resulting is a lower mass moment of inertia along with other structural considerations.

That was kind of what I was thinking, oval is definatly not common, but could be made. Like you said time, labor and costs to mass produce go up. My other idea on the oval pole concept is a single center aluminum to run wires/cable and/or air intake with a oval carbon fiber surround containing foam for flotation with the same mounting setup. I've been kicking both ideas around for a while.

Boris

The Good Old Days
I think a total redesign would be a better solution.
Not :):):):)ting on your efforts it's just that I have something totally different in mind.
A single tube wrapped by styrofoam and a composite shell sort of like the OEM pole but with a stiffener between the top and bottom cast pieces.
Flotation, strength, a breather tube and somewhere to rout the cables all in one.

That was kind of what I was thinking, oval is definatly not common, but could be made. Like you said time, labor and costs to mass produce go up. My other idea on the oval pole concept is a single center aluminum to run wires/cable and/or air intake with a oval carbon fiber surround containing foam for flotation with the same mounting setup. I've been kicking both ideas around for a while.

That is the direction to go.
Why not come up with something new and functional ?

Boris

The Good Old Days
Sounds like this is heading to a more robust stock style pole.

Mark44

That's what I would pay for.
Make it adjustable a by a few inches and you'd have a winer.

People are scared of scuppers but I think it's the heavy poles that prevent the ski from righting it self that are the bigger problem.

So some more ideas to try i see....

• 1" tubes set up like a 4-link suspension, 3 links just wouldn't cut it for ridgitity in this type of application, one too many degrees of freedom because when the tubes get so small in diameter they act more like links than fixed end beams.
  • split tube and joined back together but wider setup
  • composite skin and tube center

To add composites to the mix would add another step to the build process but I won't rule it out. To add CF blows the budget and besides, there are CF poles available already. adding composites and adjust-ability is pretty much out of the question for a potential start up no-name company. There literally is no name yet, nor immediate plans for a company. I do appreciate the ideas and comments, keep them coming.

for your viewing pleasure, Can be filled with foam, I'm sure there would be enough buoyancy to float an entire steering/pole/hinge setup
I10 5.26lbs MaxDisplacement .084"
Iteration10.jpg

Iteration10b.jpg

Iteration10FEA.jpg

Thats more like it, the closed ends make it a good torque box. Get rid of the pivot stops since they will only rip out the bracket. Limit ropes are the best solution for over extention. The pad should provide plenty of buoyance, if anyone would use one.

Technically speaking it makes zero difference to feel.. however to me the under pole turn plate mounting (kawi style) plays games in my head and makes the feeling of the pole very different (for the worse).

Plus having the turn plate above the pole will allow for the pole to be in a lower position when you are holding the bars at the same point compared to the underside mount thus lowering the centre of gravity of the ski.

Waternut

Customizing addict
He's currently designing the pole based on his 750 so that explains why he's running the turnplate underneath. I like the new plan better.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Taco metals stocks the oval aluminum in 4" width, I saw a few other places where you can get 6" oval via special order

Top Bottom