Custom/Hybrid conversion ski need input

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
It will cost more to put that 717 in that SN than it will be to get a 61x in there properly. You're going to run into clearance and alignment issues just like with the 440. I'd scrap that whole idea. My motor was cases, crank, cylinders, and head for that price. The thing about the 717 is even if you get it in there and running properly you will be limited on future mods, where as with the 701 they are endless. You have different case cylinder combos, plentiful a/m exhaust pipes, heads, and ignition set ups to get some major power when you and your wallet are ready for it. Honestly seadoos suck as much as the 440s and 550s. Ive cut up and thrown away several seadoos and js hulls and scrapped several of their engines. It honestly made me feel good inside, I now ride nothing but Yamahas and that is what I will stick with.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I think I am a perfect of example of why someone should just buy something that works. Years of wasting time on building a X2 on a low budget that in the end is a very powerful, but very troublesome ski that still continues to need constant attention (because it's loaded with worn out performance parts). And, in the end, add together the money I spent on my X2 + the money I could have made on the parts I already had = nice superjet. I had the same mindset as you. I have this hull and this motor, pennies in my pocket and several old broken down skis, lets have at it. I did learn a lot, and my X2 isn't half bad, but at what cost?

So, I bought a clean RN SJ. Most projects take a hour to complete and I actually ride the thing. Take it from someone who knows from a vast amount of wasted time to earn the experience.

Buy something that works!

PS. If you're on a tight budget, sell the parts you have. However, if you are not on a tight budget, keep those parts, buy a clean working ski outright, then build yourself a second ski as a hobby. Your hobby ski should not be your only ski. Again, from experience.

I have a ragged old square nose SJ hull you could have too, but it is totally stripped down to just the hull.
I was a 16yr old rider once too so I remember what it is to be on a pretty tight ski budget. Look for a complete ski. It will end up the cheapest and best solution in the end. It would be great to have a SJ with a 701, but even a 650 would be great. If you look around a while you should be able to find a 650 SN for around a grand to 1,200 in our market here in MI.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Sell what you have and get a complete sn superjet. Peicing one together is expensive. Driving six hours is nothing compared to the time you will put into any of your other ideas. It would be an exercise in frustration. There is a reason no one puts a seadoo motor in a superjet. Either way, good luck and welcome.

well i admit i kinda brought it on myself at first but after that they were just a bunch of di46s all the time. like the time somebody on there told me to graphite grease on some kinda bearings or something when we were rebuilding my dads 900zxi. i think im gonna just fix the 440 (needs new motor mounts) and ride it and start piecin together an sj. i cant sell the 440 as it was given to me to. buddy didnt like it and didnt even wanna screw with sellin it so he gave me the pos. its a turd but itll keep me on the water till i get an sj pieced together

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
Looks like its time for a new username then. So I guess the waveraider ride at wal-mart faded out? Thats ashame, that would be a good source of income to fund your SN.

Corky, just buy a stock one if you can be patient. I just spent 2 grand tonight trying to build up one and I'm just getting started. My brothers the same way. You need to start out with just a stocker that is ready to go since your income is low. And add on to it as you go. I thought I had it easy with this last ski I bought but the list grows as I look at it. At least you can ride while you save, pal!

motoman96

Banned
well i admit i kinda brought it on myself at first but after that they were just a bunch of di46s all the time. like the time somebody on there told me to graphite grease on some kinda bearings or something when we were rebuilding my dads 900zxi. i think im gonna just fix the 440 (needs new motor mounts) and ride it and start piecin together an sj. i cant sell the 440 as it was given to me to. buddy didnt like it and didnt even wanna screw with sellin it so he gave me the pos. its a turd but itll keep me on the water till i get an sj pieced together

Graphite grease, LOL

Corky, don't waste your time on the sea-donkey idea.

Top Bottom