Cornbread's 08 SJ Build **Updated (Finally)***

cornbread40

Livin' the Dream!!!
I bought my 08 SJ midseason last year and just rode it stock to get through summer. Now i have decided to rip it up. Never done any work on a SJ so this forum has been real helpful. Had just been ridin a Blaster before. Here it goes...

Stuff i already have (currently puttin on):
Blowsion Klowner Footholds - Finished
Diamond Turf - Finished
Hood straps - Finished
Rail Turf - Finished
Pancake Pete Front Foothold - Finished
Rear Footstrap

Stuff I ordered today:
FP B pipe Mod Chamber -Finished
MSD enhancer - Finished
ADA Girdled Head - Finished
New Fuel & Cooling Lines - Finished

Stuff i still need to get (bankroll dependin):
Xmetal waterbx - Keeping Stock
xmetal pole (new adjustable)
xmetal steering and bars
Bilges
scupper and one way
carb adapters and flame arrestors - Keepin stock

Here are a couple pics of what i got done so far (first layer of glass and footholds in)

Attachments

• Imported Photos 00005.jpg
    Imported Photos 00005.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Imported Photos 00009.jpg
    Imported Photos 00009.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Imported Photos 00292.jpg
    Imported Photos 00292.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
save a few bucks and skip the a/m waterbox-
all it does is make the ski louder, no effect on power
also skip the a/m f/a's, they let in too much water
stick to stock on these items IMHO

cornbread40

Livin' the Dream!!!
SWEET....

I would suggest that you dont glass in front hold.
but you can make 2 small drain holes in bottom and
use like this http://www.x-h2o.com/showpost.php?p=645852&postcount=146

Looks like a fun build.

Thanks pete, im just gonna use latch holes and two bolts down low, also gonna add the drains and thinkin bout adding that compartment. Just dont know if i wanna cut into something that beautiful:Banane25:!!!!!!!!

cornbread40

Livin' the Dream!!!
I can supply a great footstrap insert kit. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/41074

Thanks for the offer but blowsion sent me one with all the other stuff already

do you plan on reinforcing the hull??
Probably, ive gotta do some more readin on this befor i attempt it myself

beat me to it. haha

Thanks guys for the info on this. will help me spend less money!!!!!!!

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Thanks for the offer but blowsion sent me one with all the other stuff already

Probably, ive gotta do some more readin on this befor i attempt it myself

Thanks guys for the info on this. will help me spend less money!!!!!!!

if your using blowsion kit, i recommend taking out that wax they cover the bottom of the insert. Replace it with a tab of silicone. This will insure that the inserts are 100% sealed compared to taking the chance the wax they use cracks apart and falls out.

cornbread40

Livin' the Dream!!!
check my build if you plan on reinforcing. some people fill the bond line with two part foam others fill it with epoxy (food for thought)

Sweet build, hopefully mine comes out that good. Love that green on the engine block:Banane09:

if your using blowsion kit, i recommend taking out that wax they cover the bottom of the insert. Replace it with a tab of silicone. This will insure that the inserts are 100% sealed compared to taking the chance the wax they use cracks apart and falls out.

Thanks for the tip, definately dont want any water in after i do all this work!!! Do not want to do it again for a while.

KR

www.krlines.com
So what are you going to do about your handling? Intake grate? Ride plate? Instead of spending thousands of dollars on high end engine mods, I would consider easy and cheaper alternatives such as freestyle pump cone, bored reduction nozzle, low-end pitch SS impeller, lightened flywheel, mild head etc. Think about what you are getting yourself into when you could blow up your domes, can't figure out your timing, tuning the pipe, carbs, blowing couplers etc. If you have the money then go for it, but from what I have learned through my experiences and what from others have taught me, is that you want to stick with basic stuff, especially when its your first build. I don't want to come off as omniscient, I just hope that you are taking everything into consideration, something can always happen. Murphys law. "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

P.S. You need to use more resin and a roller when your glassing, you have too much "white" cloth. You want the cloth to have a nice clear transparent look.

Good luck!

Last edited:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I would consider easy and cheaper alternatives such as freestyle pump cone, bored reduction nozzle, low-end pitch SS impeller, lightened flywheel, mild head etc.
the 08 sj already has a low pitched ss impeller and higher compression straight out of the crate from yamaha.

Last edited:

leprechaunjohn

john john the leprechaun
So what are you going to do about your handling? Intake grate? Ride plate? Instead of spending thousands of dollars on high end engine mods, I would consider easy and cheaper alternatives such as freestyle pump cone, bored reduction nozzle, low-end pitch SS impeller, lightened flywheel, mild head etc. Think about what you are getting yourself into when you could blow up your domes, can't figure out your timing, tuning the pipe, carbs, blowing couplers etc. If you have the money then go for it, but from what I have learned through my experiences and what from others have taught me, is that you want to stick with basic stuff, especially when its your first build. I don't want to come off as omniscient, I just hope that you are taking everything into consideration, something can always happen. Murphys law. "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

P.S. You need to use more resin and a roller when your glassing, you have too much "white" cloth. You want the cloth to have a nice clear transparent look.

Good luck!

freestyle pump cone = crap.
save that 50 bucks for something worth it

KR

www.krlines.com
freestyle pump cone = crap.
save that 50 bucks for something worth it

I really enjoy having it, proves to be a great benefit to my ski. Some people say they don't notice the difference, some do. Fortunately, my $50 was worth it.

the 08 sj already has a low pitched ss impeller and higher compression straight out of the crate from yamaha.

Well in any case, just giving examples, thats why I put the "etc."

leprechaunjohn

john john the leprechaun
krickon you may be right(im not trying to start anything) but the only thing i have changed in my pump is the impeller if anything else ill be going to a mag pump. all in all some parts fall in a personal peference.

Top Bottom