Cracked SJ hull on bulkhead line, is this common?

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
My buddy cracked his newer SJ hull on the bulkhead line, is this common? About three inches in front of the intake grate. The crack is about the entire width of the flat part at the bottom of the hull. :frown:

Attachments

• DSC00991-01.jpg
    DSC00991-01.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 549
  • DSC00987-01.jpg
    DSC00987-01.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Yep, it looked the same, but not as bad as his. Is this common to SJ, as he has only ridden it about twenty times? Probably only 4 times in the surf, and the surf was 2-4'.

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
Proformance1 said:
Yep, it looked the same, but not as bad as his. Is this common to SJ, as he has only ridden it about twenty times? Probably only 4 times in the surf, and the surf was 2-4'.

Geez I hope not...I may not want an SJ after all.

that could be a pic of mine. same size crack, same location. mines an '03. neither of my 97's had it.

Attachments

• 12022005 001.jpg
    12022005 001.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 142
  • 12022005 002.jpg
    12022005 002.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 140
C

CG Racing

I've seen a few as well. Only on newer boats tho Cybermob's did it last year as well.

Mile9c1

X-H2O.com
Time for some reinforcement!! They really must be making them thinner nowadays.

I don't think that's is a common crack, but it happened to Sharky's ski last year, he said it was from pulling too many backflips in the surf (his hull was pretty trashed overall).

Frosty

New York Crew
Brian, Newman needs to stop flat landing that thing... :bigeyes: and tell him to put that damn pipe on already!!!! :biggthumpup:

My '01 is shows no sign of cracking there... however, the side bond lines and nose are a totally different story. :frown: Of course, hitting bottom doesn't help :rolleyes:

ski4

gonzo
mine is an 01, it was never back flipped but mad matt did do a lot of throw aways with it.

i re-enforced it ,so far so good. i did a 1/2 ass job on that though so i don't expect to to last too long , we'll see, i should do a better job this winter

Y

yamaslut

that happens to all newer sj surf boats...

all teds boats have that and he doesn't jump, just surf

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Now you're scaring me. I got mine heavily reinforced...I hope that somewhat prevents it.

Y

yamaslut

Matt_E said:
Now you're scaring me. I got mine heavily reinforced...I hope that somewhat prevents it.

that's why I always tell people to reinforce the bottom

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Whew...I did do that, with heavy coax mat. Along with carbon/kevlar (3 layers) on the sides, nose, hood seal lip, and under the pole bracket; and more heavy coax in the back sides (after defoaming).

beachedflunkey

wavejunkies
I never heard you say to reinforce the bottom :banghead:. I have an 05 and have just about the back four inches built up with biax but I don't remember going up the curves...

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
My 1998 has that same crack. I have not fixed it or reinforced it yet.... My boat has been in surf (occasionally - but ridden hard) and on a ramp jump. I think the ramp is what did it in :frown:

Top Bottom