Cracked SJ hull on bulkhead line, is this common?

Frosty

New York Crew
newman said:
i just went woth the kickers. I liked brians. We did get turf. and a prop/intake grate/bilge (handlebar switch)/handpolespring/rope/lowering bracket/ and parts to get my FP on. And some silly chinpad cover

Dude, Brian hooked you up!

newman

everythingturnedoutworse
eh, at least it's cheaper than cars... I have a 6000 dollar turbo kit for my lotus collecting dust in my garage, next to a 1000 dollar methanol injection kit for my subaru...

Frosty

New York Crew
newman said:
eh, at least it's cheaper than cars... I have a 6000 dollar turbo kit for my lotus collecting dust in my garage, next to a 1000 dollar methanol injection kit for my subaru...

yeah, you'll appreciate the somewhat cheaper sport of jetskiing... How much dust do you plan to collect on them before you actual install them???

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Let the reinforcing begin! Started ripping and cutting apart tonight. The footholds are all roughed in and we have sort of a game plan for reinforcing the bottom of the ski. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some color additive for the epoxy?

Last edited:

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Yep. The newer SJ seem to be weaker thereand around the hood lip. He wasn't running a bilge, or scupper and jumping pretty good size surf and trying to BR from the first day he got it. If you are going to ride like that, rip it apart now. :scared:

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I can't comment on that, we fixed it before it got too bad. It seems the 03-05's maybe 06 & 07's were thinner everywhere. You're going to need to reinforce anyway, so try and get it cheaper because of that.

DrewDTF

SJ for LIFE!
I can't comment on that, we fixed it before it got too bad. It seems the 03-05's maybe 06 & 07's were thinner everywhere. You're going to need to reinforce anyway, so try and get it cheaper because of that.

do you have any pics of how you reinforced it? just might more easy to understand if i can see what i would have to do.

You need to reinforce the top deck to the bottom to bond as one this will take out the flex from the bad landings.:banghead:Grove the bottom on a 45 and repair with carbon or glass. Check up by the rails on each side you more then likley have cracks thier as well. Best is to lay bottom of hull one piece and in motor area and wrap up onto bulkhead to make it built like a brick s@#t house. Good luck its not that bad :sad6:

hull reinforce

after you have took the engine out with the waterbox and everthing else
i recomend sand blasting for superior bond between glass and hull .

Last edited:

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
do you have any pics of how you reinforced it? just might more easy to understand if i can see what i would have to do.
Newman may have, I just took some while we were starting. Here is the side wall and scupper installed. Then do the other side and finally the bottom. Make sure you do not do behind the intermediate housing. There should be planty of threads on here about reinforcing a SJ. We also did underneath the handle pole mounting area and hood as these are also weak spots.

Attachments

• DSC01100-01.jpg
    DSC01100-01.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC01160-01.jpg
    DSC01160-01.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Yep, common crack, my 01 had that same crack about 12 inches long, I found it after I reinforced the inside(sides and bottom with biaxal) wondering where the water was coming from, thought it was the thru hull for the driveshaft, but it wasn't. Also watch for the crack that starts at the exhaust outlet and runs up the side of the ski, and my 01 is cracking below the bondline.

Top Bottom