Custom PVC Beachcart

ya, well see how the tires work out but i dont really do surf. its about 30 yards from the truck to water where i ride and its mainly dirt and hard pack sand so it should work out. For $30 a tire, figured id at least try em.

Its all about the surf!
I am impressed, that about the best looking PVC tote I've seen. I have to agree with hardcore that baloon tires would have been a better choice, if your on hard pack you should be OK

ger87410

How did I get here?
x3 on the tires. I tried fatter, but similar diameter tires on hard packed sand and rock. It needs fatter, larger tires IMO. I can still do it by myself, even with the couch, but it can be a pita.

My homemade beach cart is a hand dolly with 2' extension professionally welded to the handle and a removal wooden platform built on top in case I ever need a dolly.

Thanks guys.. Ya, we'll try these tires out this weekend and see how they hold up.. 90% of the way to the water is all grass/dirt/gravel.. As for the axle, it's just a reinforced threaded rod with carriers throughout the PVC.. Not bad for $160 in material, no plans, and about 2 hrs labor. Anyone know where to get the balloon tires for a decent price (just in case)?

We've had great luck using wheel barrow wheels on our dollies. They work surprisingly well on deep loose sand and obviously work well on harder surfaces. They have a large enough diameter to bump over most small obstacles and rocks.

We've also tried turf tires like the ones you see on lawn tractors. We thought the wider tire would be better in deep loose sand, but the wheel barrow tires cut through the sand a lot easier and don't require nearly the same pulling or pushing power that the turf tires require.

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
We've had great luck using wheel barrow wheels on our dollies. They work surprisingly well on deep loose sand and obviously work well on harder surfaces. They have a large enough diameter to bump over most small obstacles and rocks.

We've also tried turf tires like the ones you see on lawn tractors. We thought the wider tire would be better in deep loose sand, but the wheel barrow tires cut through the sand a lot easier and don't require nearly the same pulling or pushing power that the turf tires require.

I have thought about that but you can always double up on the wheels for each side. Harbor freight has the cheapest wheels around.

Also you can use some old golf kart wheels and tires. THey have steel wheels so Ide get em galvanized.

kraqus

Site Supporter
Yep...my cart has double wheels on each side. I have never had a problem pushing or pulling my ski on sand....

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Benny

Top Bottom