Surfriding Dead NGK plugs.... is it just me?

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
i dunno if its just me of if this is normal but ive been running into alot of dead NGKs lately....

Tanner in WA had one die on him.... ok 1st time i seen it, no biggie.

i think Crab had a dead plug too....

I had 2 go bad on me out of no where in oregon.

Jason took 2 of my brand new plugs straight out of the box....dead plugs...

then i get home from pismo and ryan has a plug die, also new plugs....

am i just getting bad luck? is this normal or are NGKs starting to suck? i dont get it...:Eyecrazy:

Are you getting the solid tops? I had a bunch of issues with the screw on tops coming off and causing misfires. I order the solid tops now but if you have the screw on tops just crimp them.

I also run some silicone or 1211 around the plug boot where it meets the wire to keep water out. Then I zip tie them. If you can't tell I've had some plug and electrical issues this year, the worst of which was because I was running plugs right out Of the box and not closing the gap a little.

think he is refering to plugs that are faulty from the factory,ive only seen one like this and ive been through a ton of them

what model plugs have been bad

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
Are you getting the solid tops? I had a bunch of issues with the screw on tops coming off and causing misfires. I order the solid tops now but if you have the screw on tops just crimp them.

I also run some silicone or 1211 around the plug boot where it meets the wire to keep water out. Then I zip tie them. If you can't tell I've had some plug and electrical issues this year, the worst of which was because I was running plugs right out Of the box and not closing the gap a little.

ive had this happen to mostly screw ons but the ones that went out on my boat were solids.....

i take all the preventive maintenance on the boots and wire but its the plug its self that just craps out. no spark on the back plug, swap the plugs around and boom, now no spark on the front plug. plug takes a dump....

i mean i can see it happen every so often but for me its been happening more and more often recently which makes me question a bad batch of plugs, or just a coincidence.... i couldn't believe the brand spankin new set of dead plugs tho..... like, really? hooray tossing money in the wind....

Don 79 TA

Still Fat....
ur supposed to close the gap? thought they were good outa the box to run...

you should always check plug gaps for any/every plug you use
never know

the reason some of the boxes say don't gap/pre gap is because people have a tendency to break them, especially fine wire type ones like IR plugs, etc

i'm a fan of BPR7ES plugs myself, and haven't had issues at a 28 gap
but again each setup can be unique

as with any part made, i supposed you are bound to have a bad run here and there, but i can't really recall having a bad plug out of the box
have had the twist on tips come loose, not fun when you getting ready to hit a nice wake

have had bad ngk br8es plugs but i bought them about 20 years ago.3 or 4 in that box didn't last long.
never since but could be just a batch.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Every once in a while they do make a bad batch but they are still worlds better than anything else you can buy, bar none.

I've had a few bad NGK plugs the last 10 years in bikes and one in a ski in the last year, Ckuckie said go .024 in the surf anything more is pushing the chance of the spark finding less resistance some place else where we don't want it to go.

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
It's because *you* break :):):):), friendo.

hey what can I say.........

Crab has had a few more plug problem's since you were up this way Zack

he didnt take any of my plugs!

I've had a few bad NGK plugs the last 10 years in bikes and one in a ski in the last year, Ckuckie said go .024 in the surf anything more is pushing the chance of the spark finding less resistance some place else where we don't want it to go.

.024 it is then. thanks tem.

you should always check plug gaps for any/every plug you use
never know

i'm a fan of BPR7ES plugs myself, and haven't had issues at a 28 gap
but again each setup can be unique

those plugs in solid tops you can find at most pep boys in stock and are the best you can get for riding surf.they will also fire a swamped motor 2x faster than any other plug you would run in a yami motor

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
I have gone through 4 boxes this year and no issues. I bought them all at the same time and all solid tip plugs. (yes-I change plugs almost every ride)

Top Bottom