Surfriding Dead NGK plugs.... is it just me?

Why don't you guys start using non-resistor solid-top plugs if the resistors are shorting open?[/QUOTE.

I use B8ES not BR8ES...you don't need resistor plugs...and I believe Chuck says you should not run resistor plugs if you have a resistor in the plug cap (used in some couch caps).

Octane_114

LeT tHe gOOd tImEs RoLL
I agree with Mark. I change mine once a season unless I foul one while tuning

same here havent ever change my plugs unless fouled while tuning. i once had an issue with some br8eix. using 650 electrical with an enhancer on a 750sp, swapped to msd 750 ignition with an enhancer wouldnt fire, changed to a b7ev gold series. ski runs strong

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Why don't you guys start using non-resistor solid-top plugs if the resistors are shorting open?

Why don't you guys start using non-resistor solid-top plugs if the resistors are shorting open?[/QUOTE.

I use B8ES not BR8ES...you don't need resistor plugs...and I believe Chuck says you should not run resistor plugs if you have a resistor in the plug cap (used in some couch caps).

Exactly. Since I have started using solid top non resistor plugs I haven't had any issues.

B8ES for the win.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
I dont think thats it, same issue with either type.
Solid core non-resistor plugs won't short out unless they have cracked insulators or they're fouled out.

It very common for the resistor plugs to short open especially when subjected to a marine environment.

PlugDiagram.gif

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
i cant remember where i read this but i have been wanting to try it. basically ya use two sets of plugs, and while your running one pair for the day you soak the other pair in seafoam. next day you use the pair that were soaking. it suppose to keep them pretty fresh but when a plug is fouled out there done for right?

Last edited:

I run non resistor plugs on my modified stock ignition, and resistor plugs with my enhancer or total loss.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I run non resistor plugs on my modified stock ignition, and resistor plugs with my enhancer or total loss.

Why would you want to run resistor plugs on a total loss system, the whole point of total loss is more spark energy , meaning you can widen the spark plug gap, improved timing curves and lighter flywheel weight, why cripple the increased spark energy by putting a resistor in there?

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
found this today.....from a champion plug site.

CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) for outboard marine motors is basically a refined version of the old magneto ignition system, except the points have been replaced with electronic circuitry. CDI is used on some (not all) late model marine engines such as Johnson and Evinrude, and some late model motorcycle engines. Do not use a "regular" resistor type plug on a motor with this type of Capacitive Discharge Ignition as this will cause misfire and poor performance. Rather, make sure to use a plug with an inductive type resistor such as a Champion Q-type. Use of non-inductive resistor type plugs on these motors can create an open circuit within the spark plug (it will become a dead plug).
Modified automotive racing motors also have a form of CDI, (such as Mallory, MSD, Crane and Accel), these should not be confused with the marine or powersport systems, please refer to High output ignition systems for more information.

http://championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=CDI+Resistor&mfid=2

Resistor plugs for race engines

It is strongly recommended resistor spark plugs be used in any motor that has on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. Use of a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion. Resistor plugs are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.

If you have an outboard marine CDI (capacitive discharge ignition), (such as Johnson and Evinrude), make sure to use a plug with an inductive type resistor (such as a Champion Q-type). Inductive resistor plugs require less voltage than a monolithic (regular) resistor plug. Use of non-inductive resistor type plugs on these motors can create an open circuit within the spark plug (it will become a dead plug).

Mallory, MSD, Crane and Accel also produce a high output ignition CDI system, however, these should not be confused with a marine style CDI as mentioned above. For an automotive high output CDI system it is imperative you consult that manufacturer for plug specifications for their system. Some high out put systems specify the use of resistor plugs, while others will fry the internal plug resistor turning its 5k ohms into 60k ohms.

As a rule, performance is in no way impaired by resistor spark plugs. The only exception to this may be some models of high output CDI specify non-resistor plugs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom