deep water side start

im 5' 8''.

i lean it over to put my foot on the middle of the back deck turn the opposite direction and grab a handfull. as it gets on the plane i can pull myself up and be standing.

right foot or left? I think the vids I've seen show the right foot. I will definitely be practicing next weekend.

t1024j

94 blaster1 modded out
the leg thats closest to the ski depending on which side u are on. you can doit with no leg it just takes timing. i put it on its side start it turn bars opp direction and when i pin it i also push the bars down toward back of ski. foring the pump under and also giving you a head start on pulling yourself up.

SoCal_WaveBlaster

back from the dead
im 5' 8''.

i lean it over to put my foot on the middle of the back deck turn the opposite direction and grab a handfull. as it gets on the plane i can pull myself up and be standing.

thats how i do it and im 6'2" 220....the biggest problem i figured out was i was letting off the throttle...now when i sidemount the ski just stands up and im on my way

Still couldn't do it. The intake kept coming out of the water due to how far I had it leaned over. I am getting much better at getting back on from the back of the boat. I can't believe I am having such a hard time figuring this out. None of my other buddies can do it either.

I actually kick upwards as I nail the throttle to get the ski somewhat level and get the intake grate back into the water.
Then just hang on, turning the direction opposite of the side I am on, until you feel the ski come on plane, then climb on board.
It works, once you get it figured out.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
It would be pretty hard to keep it upright with a foot on the back when you are just learning. Try just "standing" in the water next to the ski with your hands on the bars. Keep it as upright as possible, bars cranked to the opposite side of you. Then nail the throttle, keeping arms tucked where they are. When the nose pops up from the power, sneak a knee onto the rear deck and start climbing up.

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
Try just "standing" in the water next to the ski with your hands on the bars. Keep it as upright as possible, bars cranked to the opposite side of you. Then nail the throttle, keeping arms tucked where they are. When the nose pops up from the power, sneak a knee onto the rear deck and start climbing up.

Good advise. Sometimes I even go into a sitting type position by bringing my knees up while in the water next to the ski. The more drag you can create with your body the more the rear of the ski will drop when you hit the throttle and this helps with that. It also swings your body back further at the same time and the combination makes it easier to get up on it.

About keeping the pump hooked up, if your ski doesn't have a ton of power, I personally like to get on it a bit with the pump unhooked. Then start to tilt the ski up and when the pump hooks it will jerk you right out of the water. This can be hard on the driveline if you get too carried away with this so be careful.

I still couldnt do it. I "stood" next to it like you said. Arms straight up like a pull up. Bar turned opposite direction. Floored it and the damn thing just dragged me across the side. Needless to say my rear boarding skills are getting better each time out. If at first you don't succeed.............

It is possible on a all stock motor blaster I did it today. Im 6'2'' 220 lbs and have tried and tried again no go.
But I d-cut a stock ride plate and was just goffin around and tried a side start and came right up, kind of scared me lol,
So I tried it again, everytime I pulled it off. What a good feeling when a fat ass can pull off a side start on a stock blaster

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
I still couldnt do it. I "stood" next to it like you said. Arms straight up like a pull up. Bar turned opposite direction. Floored it and the damn thing just dragged me across the side. Needless to say my rear boarding skills are getting better each time out. If at first you don't succeed.............

My arms are crunched up a little when i start, not straight out like a pullup. Although I am pretty tall. Also, once the ski starts moving, let yourself flow back towards the deck. Only other thing I can think of to say is watch DustinMustang's vid 100 times and then go try it 100 more times till you get it :)

I also had better luck pulling the back of the ski down and holding the throttle wide open as I started it, Insted of trying to start it than hold it wide open.
Just my 2 cents kind hard to explane onece you do it it kinda comes natural when you find what works for you.

I hear you guys loud and clear. The ski definitely has the bottom end to get going. Jeez, the thing practically hops out of the water from stop to WOT, but when I try to get up on the thing I wind up just getting dragged along side. I am waiting for the rear end to come around and go under me so I get a knee on, but it never happens.

Hopefully I'll have better new next weekend. I've watched the video a bunch of times and it looks so easy....damn it!

Damn, still couldnt get it. I think the one thing I read on here that might help is to have the seat in my armpit. I'm not sure I am doing that. I have a pullover vest that doesnt exactly fit super tight. When I am in the water, the vest rides high if you know what I mean and I dont float as high as the guys in the vids.

None of my buddies could do it either. I am getting way better at rear boarding even in the rough, but I gotta get this side mount thing licked.

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
For reasons yet to be determined, my skis new motor was running like poo on it's left side when I had it out in waves on Wednesday. Not making enough power to side mount. Well, it ran fine when tipped over to the right so I was side mounting it from that side. Just an fyi that if your ski will make power doing so, this can be done from either side. And fyi pt 2, if your ski isn't running cleanly out of the hole it is pretty much impossible to do.

Top Bottom