Differences in Cylinders and performance...

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Ok, so here's the deal. I've got a 61x bottom end and 6m6 cylinders. It was like that when I bought the 92 SN and I figured that someone had some thing special on there at some point, swapped it back to sell it. The hull had tons of stickers and was clearanced for a dry pipe. I opened up the engine just to make sure that it was in fact still a 650 (and it was).

So I have a good base, now I need a cylinder to go on top. I already have the following for my build: Total Loss 4272, B pipe w/ mod chamber, Riva head w/ 35cc domes.

I really am looking for bottom end on this because I only lake ride and I'm a bigger guy (currently 235, but I'm working on that).

I know the saying is "There's no replacement for displacement", but I've also heard that people really don't like the 760 cylinder for freestyle. Seems everyone likes the 61x for that.

So, if you had $300 to spend on cylinders, what would it be? I've found stock 61x jugs with pistons (needs rings and hone) for $150. Add a DIY sport port kit and that takes care of that. Also found 760 jugs for pretty cheap and I'd need to bore them and add piston kit. What other options do I have. I'm jobless, so there is no way I can spend more than that right now.

Thanks for the opinions!
Steve

Waternut

Customizing addict
I've got a 61x cylinder on my ski with roughly your same setup with the exception of a limited chamber instead of mod. I also did the DIY sport port kit and it's great! Instant snap and great power all the way through the rpms (well 75% of the way...I'm too chicken to go past that in a straight line).

Get yourself the 61x cylinder, port it yourself with the kit, and buy the 9/15 hooker impeller and that ski will keep you happy for a while.

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
Buy the 61x. save the money, DO NOT DO The sport port kit. They are NOT worth it unless you know damn well what your doing. Spend the 200-300 and have ART at jetworks port it and be done. You will have POWA.

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
I've got a 61x cylinder on my ski with roughly your same setup with the exception of a limited chamber instead of mod. I also did the DIY sport port kit and it's great! Instant snap and great power all the way through the rpms (well 75% of the way...I'm too chicken to go past that in a straight line).

Get yourself the 61x cylinder, port it yourself with the kit, and buy the 9/15 hooker impeller and that ski will keep you happy for a while.

And add a dry pipe!!!!!!!:cheer2:

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
Buy the 61x. save the money, DO NOT DO The sport port kit. They are NOT worth it unless you know damn well what your doing. Spend the 200-300 and have ART at jetworks port it and be done. You will have POWA.

i agree 100%...but wait till my motor is done so you arent taking up Art's time ;-) LOL j/k obviously

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well if you have some halfway decent tools and can stay inside the lines, sport port templates are a no brainer. However, I have seen more than one cylinder with big ole jagged edges and you just have to shake your head in total denial that someone could think "that's close enough".

Cannibal

Tasty Human

Sounds good I'll probably go that route. I do have good tools and I'm very detailed. I'm sure I can do sport port without much problems. I already have a 9/15 skat I'll be running. It had a 13.5/18.5 cutback on it before. All these changes should be night and day for getting my fat ass out of the water.

I still might go this route though. Maybe I'll leave it stock for now and run it this season, send it for porting in the winter?

61x @ 84mm

Wish this was an option. Believe me, I've looked. Someone had a clean cylinder that he dropped and broke a sleeve. I've crunched the numbers for it. Even if I can get that for $50 shipped, NW Sleeve's big bore ported sleeves are $122ea and another $200 for piston kit. Plus having sleeves installed, cases bored, etc, out of my league at this time.

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
If you think theres any chance of you sending it in for porting, do not port it yourself. You have no idea how the material you remove will effect what a pro actually needs to remove for optimum porting.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter

I agree.

You're not saving money by porting it yourself.

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
uh... yea. probably not 200, but who knows... during the winter all the places get low on business and give great deals. Impros cut me a deal on a custom made and fully machined and blueprinted Hooker impeller (when they first came out) $213 shipped next day air. It was like a total of $400 of work....

Just have to call and find out. $300 is a pretty average price.

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
man im tellin you. This is not a commercialized buisiness unless your talking about guys like Riva, Wamiltons, and other huge companies that have large amounts of business.

Most of these places are just 2 or 3 person business's that do what they do and are good at doing it. Small business economics apply to them.

You talk to the right person, at the right time, and say the right things and youll get a deal. They are not charging for any actual parts or overhead, they are only charging for the labor and time it takes for them to cut away at your cylinder. If they need money or think your nice they will make you a deal.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
Wamiltons has lots of business?

tell me where I can send a 61x cylinder, to a reputable source ( such as Jetworks as you suggested) for a port job that will cost me less than $300.

My point here, Foximus, is that it is NOT typically that cheap.

there is nothing wrong with the sportport stuff either,'

MattE has posted numerous times how well it works, as have others.

do it yourself, its VERY time, labor, tool, nasty intensive.

is a pro job better?

Likely.

its also 5 times as much money.

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
man im tellin you. This is not a commercialized buisiness unless your talking about guys like Riva, Wamiltons, and other huge companies that have large amounts of business.

Most of these places are just 2 or 3 person business's that do what they do and are good at doing it. Small business economics apply to them.

You talk to the right person, at the right time, and say the right things and youll get a deal. They are not charging for any actual parts or overhead, they are only charging for the labor and time it takes for them to cut away at your cylinder. If they need money or think your nice they will make you a deal.

i think thats partly true. but they also cant cut too good of a deal or it would get blabbed about and everyone would expect the same price. ie they would never be able to charge nearly a normal port job fee ever again.
$300 is on the cheap side but it can be had i would imagine.
you are paying for the years of practice these guys put in to get where they are at and use what they have learned, so i dont mind paying the money to get the right person to do the port job. *shrug* pros and cons on both sides of that argument i suppose. even though they are technically just "cutting away at your cylinder" its a very precise art to get the gains that can be had.

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
Well im talking from experience. Like I said, Impros cut me a hell of a deal, and has cut me other deals other times.

I know of 2 or 3 people that have gotten port work for under 300, but you know what? They talked with the builder a lot and got a good rep with them. The builder asked them not to talk about the prices, so I will honor that as well. But i know its happened more than you think.

As for the sport port. Ive ported my fair share of cylinders. twice 61x, three times 650sx, four js550 cylinders. They all came out with gains. Huge gains in the mid range decent gains in the bottom and top. Unfortunately they tended to be either peaky, or very lightswitchy. Yea it was nice, im not going to complain, it was cheap and I did them all myself. But for relatively little money (less than a B pipe for sure!) it can be done right and get amazing gains.

Then theres the other issue of time saved. I can send a cylinder to Jetworks (or even xmetal for that matter) and they can send it back telling me EXACTLY what jets need to be in it.
..... or i can do it myself and :):):):) around with finding the correct jetting for the next month.

I know what my answer will be.

Im not trying to say that one way is Wrong. Im just emparting my personal experience and how my opinions have changed. Matt_E has been iin the same boat and im sure he will concur with everything i have said. and hes a forumdouche! lol

Last edited:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
Id pay $300 for a known person with a GOOD reputation to do some good portwork.

maybe.

Id want to ( as you said) speak with them in depth about it, and know exactly what I was getting.

Ive never heard of $200/$300 port jobs before this thread though.

Top Bottom