Do Scuppers Sink Skis?

depending on where i ride, i block off my scupper internally. i just use a 1.5" rubber cap stuffed into the inside of the 2" pipe in the bilge.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
My ski will not sink unless the waterlines break (or I pull a turtle).

Ratchet straps on the hood.
24-7 scupper. (leaks a little here and there)
1100gph bilge without a switch.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
What's such a nightmare about electric bilge pumps? :dunno:

I run two pumps that I switch on when the ski leaves the trailer.
I shut them off when it's back on the trailer.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
My ski will not sink unless the waterlines break.

Ratchet straps on the hood.
24-7 scupper. (leaks a little here and there)
1100gph bilge without a switch.

Really? Where are the air intakes in the hood located?
What happens when the ski is upside down for a few minutes?

(A good scupper will not leak air, but if/when it does, that ski goes down)

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
We were at a bar for a couple hours. Skis were tied to a dock. The rope made his ski sit on an angle... the scupper slowly let the water in and down it went.

That was a bitch to get out of the water.

Hood becomes unlatched...its going down
Upside down ski.....a bilge pump isnt even touching the water

And whats with the water sensing thing.....why not just put two 500gphs in and run them anytime your touching the water.....

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
With a foamed handlepole, my ski rarely stays upside down. But blocking off the front air intake, making sure there is a good hood seal, and keeping the hood on tight, is just as important as bilge pumps or scuppers. It is true though, your ski will sink significantly faster if it's upside down with a scupper.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
With a foamed handlepole, my ski rarely stays upside down. But blocking off the front air intake, making sure there is a good hood seal, and keeping the hood on tight, is just as important as bilge pumps or scuppers. It is true though, your ski will sink significantly faster if it's upside down with a scupper.

Makes sense. Water pressure on the bilge cavity - where will it go? Nowhere fast without a scupper, but with a scupper it has a nice way out.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I've got a well sealed hood, dual bilge pumps, and stock air box. the only time I had water ingestion is when the bilge pumps had a bad connection. now I run the bilge pumps in parrellel instead of series so they won't both fail at the same time again. I really don't think I need a scupper.

beachedflunkey

wavejunkies
i with they made something as a simple as a recessed scupper flap and threaded the inner diameter of the scupper rim just past the flap.

this way, when you didnt feel like using your scupper, you could just screw a cover on from the outside. (the cover would be sold along with the scupper assy.

ok, i said it, now someone go make it. i'll buy one.

i hate my scuppers in the surf.
Like this or this?
I just played around with different fittings at Lowe's. It's ugly but it works. I suppose you could do it from the inside too.

beachedflunkey

wavejunkies
Good idea on the scuppers. Yeah I like mine on the outside in case my bilges fail it's easy to open up. We can't usually beach up here to get into the motor compartment.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
that's the right idea. ive always seen that method done from the inside though.

i think i/we did tink's scupper that way, way back when i did his first scupper.

i'm sure legdrag/blowsion/wammer/xmetal can do something up really nice with those billet scupper outlets that are already flanged out. just thread 'em and recess the flap a little. then sell the seperate nice shiny billet cover with a sweet logo on it and a slot for a flathead screwdriver (like on an mx bike engine)

I know someone who has those kind of machining skillz :biggthumpup:

Top Bottom