Do you like my new Tag?

• It's cool

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • It's ok

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • I don't like it

Votes: 18 36.0%

• Total voters
Got some new letters for my tag. What do you all think?

DSCF0051.jpg

eel

Our home is girt by sea
You should tie some tampons to the bars to continue the theme.

Only joking, I like them.

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
They are supposed to be 3 in tall in block letters. In CA it is suposed to read CF 0000 AA; with 3 in spacing between the CF and #'s and 3 in inbetween #'s and last 2 letters. They are supposed to be on the front, top deck, on a no movable part of the ski. Thats Cali regulations. Mine meet none of those requirements and I have never had a problem.

DISPLAY OF VESSEL REGISTRATION NUMBERS AND
DOCUMENTED VESSEL NAME AND HAILING PORT
EITHER STATE REGISTRATION OR FEDERAL DOCUMENTATION
Vessels may ONLY be identified as either a State Registered Vessel or a Federally Documented
Vessel - BUT NOT BOTH. When a vessel becomes Federally Documented, the State Registration
Numbers and Letters must be removed. However the State Validation Sticker showing proof of
paying sales tax may still be displayed on the vessel in accordance with the individual state’s
regulations.
STATE REGISTERED VESSELS -- The Requirements Are:
Use of Block Style letters and numbers only;
Letters & numbers must be at least Three (3) inches in height;
Letters & numbers must be of Contrasting Color (not outlined, shadowed or rounded); if
the background is multicolored or patterned, a block out area of a single color may be
required to facilitate readability.
The Letters and numbers must be separated by the width of one letter or number - not including
the number one (1) or the capital letter (I). Use either a blank space or a hyphen and they must be
read from left to right. The validation sticker must be visible and placed within six inches of the
registration numbers. Placement either in front of or behind the numbers is determined by state
regulation.
The Registration Numbers, Letters and Sticker must be PERMANENTLY ATTACHED and on
the Forward Half of the Vessel. Adhering registration numbers and stickers on glass or plastic
windows or using placards (signboards) are NOT considered Permanent and can no longer be used
unless they are bolted or screwed in place on the hull or superstructure (including on dinghys).
Signboards cannot be attached to railings. Inflatable boat manufacturers should be contacted for
letters and numbers made of the same material / adhesive as the boat to attain permanency. Validation
stickers issued by states can be adhered to metal or plastic plates and mounted on grab straps with
non-reversable wire ties, but must be within 6 inches of the registration number and visible to law
enforcement officers. Contact your state for guidance and acceptability.
FEDERALLY DOCUMENTED VESSELS -- The Requirements Are:
The Name of Vessel and Hailing Port, to include City and State, must be located TOGETHER on
some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The letters and numbers can be made by the use of any
means and materials which result in durable markings. They must be made in clearly legible letters of
the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numbers, all of which are NOT LESS THAN FOUR (4) INCHES
IN HEIGHT (all characters). This can be either on the Transom or on either side of the vessel. There is
no requirement for Block letters or any other restrictions to type or font; or color on Documented
Vessels. Abbreviations of both the place (city) and state are acceptable as long as they are recognized
by the U.S. Post Office (i.e. NY, NY -- Phila., PA -- Wilm., DE -- Pgh., PA -- Balt., MD -- Jax. Bch.,
FL). This is a Federal issue and is not open to enforcement or interpretation by the state.
When dinghys are stored on the swim platform or transom causing the Vessel’s name and hailing
port to be obscured from view, there is no Federal requirement to place the name and hailing port
elsewhere. That is a Law Enforcement issue only. However, the requirement to be CLEARLY
VISIBLE may necessitate duplicating the name and hailing port on either side of the hull. Stenciling
on the bottom of the dinghy is not considered a permanent marking.
Above reviewed by the United States Coast Guard office of Boating Safety on: 12/16/04

http://www.usps.org/national/vsc/policies_files/vesselreg.pdf

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Most 'aftermarket' PWC numbers/letters are not the legal 3 inches tall, nor are the pre-spaced ones far enough apart. I ordered a set this spring that met all the legal requirements, and they are huge in comparison to what I've always run. These things take up almost my entire ski and will be coming off in the winter. I'll be going back to the smaller ones so I have room for other graphics. Take a look:

Attachments

• 2004 SJ Reg#s 001.jpg
    2004 SJ Reg#s 001.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
They look killer to me.

My reg. numbers are wrote on my boat with a Sharpie....

The only time water cops messed with me was when going through a slow speed at Sebastain just a little to fast. The cop said nothing about the #'s... just to slow down.

He could have got me for

Illegal #'s
out dated reg
no fire ext
no whissle
probably to loud exhaust

But he didnt ask any questions, so I went on bout my riding.

3" letters are required on a 30' boat, as well. thats why 2.5" are good enough (IMO) for a 7' long craft. using the USCG required size is ridiculous and it takes up WAY to much real estate on the ski.

on my yellow 550 i have yellow numbers that have black outlining, they are rounded, not spaced apart from one another in the proper spots, not 3 inchs tall and not on the right part of my ski. on my red ski it is the same but with red letters. I dont know what my dad was thinking when he got the stickers but i have never gotten any trouble from the police or the dnr. labor day weekend i had a chat with a a guy from the dnr about how i was riding to close to our dock and all he asked for was boater saftey license. never asked for registration or fire ext or said anything about my numbers.

i think it looks good theres ppl that have stickers all crooked and made of elec tape that i know and nothin happens

Top Bottom