dont allow yourself to get close to 50

I am 48 and i have bunch of injuries from mx i am trying to learn backies but i think it is a loss cause my mind keeps tellin me to lay up ! Dont want to get hurt anymore! No acl on both knees # painsucks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I remember being able to go out and just ride. You never really got tired. (Back when I was 36 (year we got pregnant)). I use to get winded while racing, But that was Maximum Effort. I had sinus surgery in Early 2008. First race after I was not even tired after it. What a change the surgery made in 02 intake. But, 45 now, Cannot ride for as long as I use to could but it is because I have not been riding much. Had Surgery back in August, That set me back by 10 lbs and 2 months of no activity. Slowing getting back in better shape Mountain Biking. Bottom line, There are more aches and pains but we got to stay active.........

Plus 2 Ibuprofem + 2 Aleve = Pain Free Cocktail.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
42 going on 62.

Gotta take the ibuprofen before u ride. About hour before with a bottle or two of H2O. 600-1000 mg depending how often and ur kidney function. The NSAIDs interrupt the inflammatory response. I wouldn't take the high dose more than 1-2x's/week but a lower dose if ur riding multiple days/week will work. Promise.

I run 3-5 miles every other day (at least try to) and am fine after the run if I take it. If I don't, it's 12-24 hours of aching knees and back.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
42 going on 62.

Gotta take the ibuprofen before u ride. About hour before with a bottle or two of H2O. 600-1000 mg depending how often and ur kidney function. The NSAIDs interrupt the inflammatory response. I wouldn't take the high dose more than 1-2x's/week but a lower dose if ur riding multiple days/week will work. Promise.

I run 3-5 miles every other day (at least try to) and am fine after the run if I take it. If I don't, it's 12-24 hours of aching knees and back.
Bad knee's, Dr Told me when I was 27 after my 2nd Knee Surgery not to run for exercise, told him that would not be a problem unless someone was chasing me!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I remember being able to go out and just ride. You never really got tired. (Back when I was 36 (year we got pregnant)). I use to get winded while racing, But that was Maximum Effort. I had sinus surgery in Early 2008. First race after I was not even tired after it. What a change the surgery made in 02 intake. But, 45 now, Cannot ride for as long as I use to could but it is because I have not been riding much. Had Surgery back in August, That set me back by 10 lbs and 2 months of no activity. Slowing getting back in better shape Mountain Biking. Bottom line, There are more aches and pains but we got to stay active.........

Plus 2 Ibuprofem + 2 Aleve = Pain Free Cocktail.

Ive been biking. I bought an enduro. You saw it in another thread. Not the most efficient bike but with all that performance suspension, i dont even have to stand up, it never loads the back.

Things to NOT DO:

Greens/herbs drinks, superfood antioxidants, specialty supplements, probiotics, riding often, lifting weights to include lower back hyper extensions, sufficient rest and very limited alcohol use.

WHY : It leads to a neurotic lifestyle, dedication/obsession to this hobby which might go on for decades !

my back and my neck, my neck and my back....lifting, unloading, riding, loading, lifting......constant pain
First rides of the season extremely strenuous , almost out of air immediately....to the end of the season in great shape, no back pain, no neck pain....go figure

Haven't been riding that much anymore due to my other obligations

its like once u shake the rust of everything starts working again, to then get all rusty in winter again.....oh well I will go as long as I can, and then will support as long as I can....

Johnny Africa

Site Supporter
i turn 50 in may and i am shocked at how fast things have gone downhill the last 2 years. i rode today in decent sized (chest?) surf and got my ass handed to me cardio wise. i was sucking wind and struggling to be in charge of the ski after 20 minutes. my strength has fallen off a cliff, my back kills me anytime i lift anything heavier than my own hand and after having the metabolsim of an hyper 8 year old, i can now literally think about sweet potato pie and gain weight.

i do 30-35-40 pushups and curl 50 lbs 20-22-25 times every other day and average 15-20 miles of jogging a week and when i waved at yamaslut today as he drove past, my triceps shook like an old lady yelling bingo.

this sport is for the young guns. i see a sit down in my near future.

seriously, find an unsecured 8th story window once you hit 48....
Tim....maybe it's time for a Blaster....lol. Hopefully we'll see u at the freeride

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Site Supporter
I'm 52 and have been a gym rat pretty much my whole life but was still shocked by how much a little extra calories(sugar) or a little extra inactivity led to extra blubber once I hit my late 40s. If I skip sugar and booze though, I can stay pretty lean without killing myself in the gym. One thing I did learn about cardio for me as an old man, as far as staying fit for riding and for snowshoeing, is that shorter sessions of high intensity cardio (lots of sprints) worked WAY better than long sessions of constant speed or even intervals on an arc trainer or elliptical.

i rode new years day and it was a glassier, more organized swell so less rodeo time. i did much better holding up. maybe i hadnt ridden the rough stuff in a while and forgot how tiring it is.

you older than me guys that still rip have my utmost respect. no way, if i continue to decline at the rate i have been lately, that i will still be riding by 55. maybe things will level off for a few years

swapmeet

Brotastic
I'm 52 and have been a gym rat pretty much my whole life but was still shocked by how much a little extra calories(sugar) or a little extra inactivity led to extra blubber once I hit my late 40s. If I skip sugar and booze though, I can stay pretty lean without killing myself in the gym. One thing I did learn about cardio for me as an old man, as far as staying fit for riding and for snowshoeing, is that shorter sessions of high intensity cardio (lots of sprints) worked WAY better than long sessions of constant speed or even intervals on an arc trainer or elliptical.

I'm not even 40 and sweets and alcohol are slaying me in the weight dept... of course stress adds to weight, and i'm pretty sure I eat sweets and drink B/C of stress. Yay...

You old guys rock BTW. @skinnyman and Mark (another guy from our group who is old but refuses to act like it) are secretly my hero's.

Top Bottom