Freestyle Dry suits

mightymighty2stroke

I'd rather be on the lake
Mine would eventually soak me from my chest up but I was still warm. I was pissed but did some research and lots of drysuits use neoprene with great success, but it's harder to get a good seal especially with the force of the water from skis.
So, instead of folding down the neck seal over the outside of the suit, I tucked it inside to make it tighter. It didn't leak!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was wondering what to do with the neck, lol. I just got my suit in yesterday and the neck is so long, I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be rolled and if so, how. It is so hard to get it on/off my head. Not sure if that means it will seal well or I just have a huge head. Hope I can try it this weekend. Picked up some 5mm booties too, gotta see if they'll fit in my current shoes or if I need to size up.

Now I just need my friends to get winter gear so I have someone to ride with.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I was wondering what to do with the neck, lol. I just got my suit in yesterday and the neck is so long, I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be rolled and if so, how. It is so hard to get it on/off my head. Not sure if that means it will seal well or I just have a huge head. Hope I can try it this weekend. Picked up some 5mm booties too, gotta see if they'll fit in my current shoes or if I need to size up.

Now I just need my friends to get winter gear so I have someone to ride with.

Yeah I think they specifically left the neck long so you'd roll it inside to seal it. Yeah its tight, and if you just shaved it rubs your neck raw.. Just a suggestion lol. What temps are you riding in? 5mm socks or booties with a sole? 5mm socks should fit your current shoes, you just have to extensively loosen up the laces.

mightymighty2stroke

Yeah I think they specifically left the neck long so you'd roll it inside to seal it. Yeah its tight, and if you just shaved it rubs your neck raw.. Just a suggestion lol. What temps are you riding in? 5mm socks or booties with a sole? 5mm socks should fit your current shoes, you just have to extensively loosen up the laces.

I have booties with soles too - but I don't like them, they don't have laces so they are not very tight and my feet slip around too much inside...so I'll see if it does better with wet socks/shoes.

Coldest water temps here is about high 50's. Air gets colder but I usually don't feel like riding if it's below mid 50's anyway. Dry suit might be overkill but I like the idea of pulling it off and being dry underneath... Vs wrestling out of a wet suit with wet skin in freezing cold air.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Yeah for sure! You might get a little moisture near the seals sometimes but nothing noticeable.
For footholds, neoprene socks and wrestling shoes work amazing. In 45 or so degree water my feet are extremely warm.

mightymighty2stroke

Tried out my dry suit today...loved it! I got the O'Neill Boost. It's comfortable and even while I know the air temp was warm today, I think it will do great when it's cold too. I like that it blocks the wind, that's my other complaint with a wet suit; once you get wet in it any kind of air moving over the suit evacuates your heat in a hurry. It was pretty trick to just take it off and have warm dry clothes underneath. I took a few good spills too. Best winter mod by far!! I did have to get a new pair of wrestling shoes to fit my 5mm wet socks, they were super uncomfortable stuffed into the current ones I have. Oh well, they're cheap enough and I'll still use my original pair for summer riding.

Now all I need is a good set of gloves. The ones I have are comfortable and warm, but despite having padding on the palms they are not really that grippy.

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
Tried out my dry suit today...loved it! I got the O'Neill Boost. It's comfortable and even while I know the air temp was warm today, I think it will do great when it's cold too. I like that it blocks the wind, that's my other complaint with a wet suit; once you get wet in it any kind of air moving over the suit evacuates your heat in a hurry. It was pretty trick to just take it off and have warm dry clothes underneath. I took a few good spills too. Best winter mod by far!! I did have to get a new pair of wrestling shoes to fit my 5mm wet socks, they were super uncomfortable stuffed into the current ones I have. Oh well, they're cheap enough and I'll still use my original pair for summer riding.

Now all I need is a good set of gloves. The ones I have are comfortable and warm, but despite having padding on the palms they are not really that grippy.

What kind of gloves are you wearing? Wetsuit material or just normal riding gloves. I think I might look into the drysuit since it is only 100bucks more

mike b

I have seen for wetsuit material you are supposed to jump up a size. I am 6'1" so I am not sure between large or XL. On drysuits is it the same principle? Or what size are you guys running. Im about 185lbs give or take

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I have seen for wetsuit material you are supposed to jump up a size. I am 6'1" so I am not sure between large or XL. On drysuits is it the same principle? Or what size are you guys running. Im about 185lbs give or take
Use the sizing chart the drysuit company provides and it should fit.

mightymighty2stroke

What kind of gloves are you wearing? Wetsuit material or just normal riding gloves. I think I might look into the drysuit since it is only 100bucks more

I wear baseball gloves in the summer, those are great. My winter ones are wet suit material (I think 3mm). Just not enough grip.

mike b

Yep I'm think some jet tribe riding gloves for the winter. During the summer I actually don't prefer gloves or at least this year I didnt

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I ended my season but I wore my drysuit on my last ride. Let it sit all winter in the basement without treating the seals every so often(not everyone does it but it's a very good habit to treat them) and the seals felt like new. I'm super happy my purchase. Highly recommend the O'Neil boost to anyone.

I have 2mm socks and it made a huge difference, I use to have problems with numb feet and footholds not working together. Now they are cold but not numb. I use a Billabong 2/3 and love it, it was relatively cheap from what I remember <$150 shipped Wetsuitwarehouse.com

I ride in the Bay and it gets cold but I use a OS dry suit, neoprene socks with wrestling shoes and one of my pissers routed to my grips(from 3/8" to 1/4" tee). I can ride all day as long as my hands are warm.

I have 2mm socks and it made a huge difference, I use to have problems with numb feet and footholds not working together. Now they are cold but not numb. I use a Billabong 2/3 and love it, it was relatively cheap from what I remember <$150 shipped Wetsuitwarehouse.com

Are the 2mm socks made for diving?

Top Bottom