Other East coasters

Bobert540

Site Supporter
My daily driver is heading to the crusher this week due to the flooding......bummer, as these are getting rare.....it's been a very good ride.

DSCN0335.jpg

Those things are BA! sad to hear its getting crushed.

Scavanged the wheels/tires, tunes, and roof racks. NJ policy is that if it's saltwater damage you can't buy it back and it can't be re-sold....it's off to the crusher. Too many shady peeps cleaning up flood cars and selling them, so it's for a good reason but kind of a bummer when it's something rare.

I'm still fighting Allstate about my Porsche.....one day they want to crush it, the next they want to fix it....they can't make up their minds. The cars seem kinda trivial vs the house damage, so I'm not fighting as hard as I probably should.

Bobert540

Site Supporter
Scavanged the wheels/tires, tunes, and roof racks. NJ policy is that if it's saltwater damage you can't buy it back and it can't be re-sold....it's off to the crusher. Too many shady peeps cleaning up flood cars and selling them, so it's for a good reason but kind of a bummer when it's something rare.

I'm still fighting Allstate about my Porsche.....one day they want to crush it, the next they want to fix it....they can't make up their minds. The cars seem kinda trivial vs the house damage, so I'm not fighting as hard as I probably should.

Sorry to hear that JD, at least cars are replaceable. I would fight to keep a car if it was salvageable!

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.

Never knew that about the insurance. Was the van safe?

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Both vans survived (picked up my new Quigley 6 days before storm!). They got wet up to frame but lots of fresh water and a complete bath of Fluid Film on everything that was even close to water and they should be fine.

Holy crap, I cant imagine how nervious you were with the brand new one! Good news that they pulled through!!!

98gti

C@R H@ul3R

Im not sure who told you that they go straight to the crusher, but we buy through IAA and Copart up that way sometimes, and theres alot of flood cars listed and some are from NJ, and with rebuildable titles. Its all about money, they know it will probably bring more at the sale than what you would buy it back for. I'm actually wanting to pick up a flooded gto or g8 for my wife and theres quite a few of each up there, and there will be lots more vehicles to be listed in the up coming months. They are alot of work but can be made nice again. I usually buy one flood and then one that rolled really hard and destroyed the body and take the guts out of it and put it in the flood car. Now as far as the crushing goes, I have heard that new cars that get flooded get crushed, I think they just save the tires and thats it. The car companies dont want brand new cars being sold for less than half by a rebuilder than what they're selling them for. Sometimes the used cars do get a junk title, certificate of destruction, or parts only title but that all depends on value, state, and insurance company. If your adjuster told you its getting crushed hes just talking out his a$$, they would get back maybe $300 for scrap metal, but at the sale it will bring a few thousand.

I just checked again to make sure I was right, and in the first 3 pages of flood cars on Copart there were about 10 flood cars with New Jersey rebuildable titles. I do remember buying flood vehicles out of NJ too. If you really want to buy it back you need to get ahold of someone else with your insurance company. I got to warn you, they are an a$$ load of work though.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Im not sure who told you that they go straight to the crusher, but we buy through IAA and Copart up that way sometimes, and theres alot of flood cars listed and some are from NJ, and with rebuildable titles. Its all about money, they know it will probably bring more at the sale than what you would buy it back for. I'm actually wanting to pick up a flooded gto or g8 for my wife and theres quite a few of each up there, and there will be lots more vehicles to be listed in the up coming months. They are alot of work but can be made nice again. I usually buy one flood and then one that rolled really hard and destroyed the body and take the guts out of it and put it in the flood car. Now as far as the crushing goes, I have heard that new cars that get flooded get crushed, I think they just save the tires and thats it. The car companies dont want brand new cars being sold for less than half by a rebuilder than what they're selling them for. Sometimes the used cars do get a junk title, certificate of destruction, or parts only title but that all depends on value, state, and insurance company. If your adjuster told you its getting crushed hes just talking out his a$$, they would get back maybe $300 for scrap metal, but at the sale it will bring a few thousand.

I just checked again to make sure I was right, and in the first 3 pages of flood cars on Copart there were about 10 flood cars with New Jersey rebuildable titles. I do remember buying flood vehicles out of NJ too. If you really want to buy it back you need to get ahold of someone else with your insurance company. I got to warn you, they are an a$$ load of work though.

Go back and read about the "Salt Water" part. Fresh Water floods rebuildible. Salt Water = Crusher. His flooded from the Tidal Surge.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
OCC choppers just aired an episode where they rescued their 911 Tribute Bike after it was caught up in hurricane Sandy. Anything electrical or mechanical and over half the hardware went straight into the trash. Basically they kept the frame, fenders, tank and some trim pieces.

Last edited:

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
There is a dead car in my parking lot that was submerged to the headliner, and floated 50' away from where it was parked. A month later its still leaking a stream of "liquid rust" out of it. The outside of it looks like it aged 10years. Salt water is no joke!

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
I just find it hard to believe that with the thousands of cars that were flooded and are listed forsale that they are all freshwater floods. They may have changed the law since the last time I bought a flood from NJ but idk, I could be totally wrong, but I find it hard to believe, there are pages and pages of NJ rebuildable floods. Older cars will deteriorate much faster than newer ones, we rebuilt probably 50 or more floods from Katrina and most are still on the road today and look fine. Honestly, weve bought non flooded cars from up north that were way more rusty underneath than any of the floods. Regardless of what they say, just wait a few weeks and google the vin. If it goes to auction the listing will come up. If that does happen and you do want to buy it back there are plenty of brokers you can buy through.

Edit: Heres a just an example. https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=13662747&RowNumber=0

heres another. https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=13673813&RowNumber=0

Last edited:
I was in Lavalette gutting my boss's ice cream shop yesterday. Guy from ohio asks me to help him move a flooded car to put on his flat bed. He says they are going for auction, also said something about copart, and sending them overseas.

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
I was in Lavalette gutting my boss's ice cream shop yesterday. Guy from ohio asks me to help him move a flooded car to put on his flat bed. He says they are going for auction, also said something about copart, and sending them overseas.

Toyota probably builds their truck frames out of our rusted saltwater flood cars...

Big Kahuna

Administrator

So, any updates from your insurance adjuster or BK the expert on your vehicle? Lol.

" NJ policy is that if it's saltwater damage you can't buy it back and it can't be re-sold....it's off to the crusher"

Let me quote this for you. He lives there. We don't. I would take his word over yours.

Top Bottom