Electric box full of water

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
So I might have just found part of my never ending ski problems. My electrical box is full of water. I thought I would just check that little fuse in there and water just poured out. What should I do now?

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
If it is only freshwater, take ebox apart and dry everything completely. A fan works good for this. Then test and see if you have spark. If everything tests ggod, then buy a new ebox gasket. Reseal ebox properly and then ride. Check under fuse cover for water after that....

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
that happened to me once, it killed my MSD enhancer.

so I drilled holes in the bottom of the E box to let it drain.

its been dry ever since.

( FRESH WATER ONLY)

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
Who sells the ebox gasket for the cheapest price?

I guess that's an option too though... but one day I want to make it to the ocean. I might even make it this summer.

Last edited:

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing

its been dry ever since.

( FRESH WATER ONLY)

knew that one was coming... haha

one major source of water intrusion is from the red battery cable grommets. the cables pull to each side a leave a gap between the cable and the grommet.

get a new gasket, make sure the o-ring is good on the fuse cap.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
knew that one was coming... haha

one major source of water intrusion is from the red battery cable grommets. the cables pull to each side a leave a gap between the cable and the grommet.

get a new gasket, make sure the o-ring is good on the fuse cap.

Chris,

Have you seen the JSS kit to solve that problem:

http://www.jetskisolutions.com/p57_...cation_kit_for_oem_yamaha_electrical_box.html

John at JSS told me they developed this kit mainly for water entry.

CW

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Chris,

Have you seen the JSS kit to solve that problem:

http://www.jetskisolutions.com/p57_...cation_kit_for_oem_yamaha_electrical_box.html

John at JSS told me they developed this kit mainly for water entry.

CW
yup, i'm using that kit right now.

i sent my ebox to JSS 2 years ago. John did everything he possibly could. Put new connectors on my enhancer, re wired my S/S switch with bullet connectors. Quick disconnect stator. Quick disconnect battery/stater cables. Re wired stator. JSS coil. New gasket. It cost me a pretty penny, but my box is still bullet proofed. Some of the best money I have spent on my ski.

while you are in there i would suggest liberal amounts of dielectric grease on every post and connection. cheap insurance.

absolutely...its a PITA the first time

take a Qtip and put some grease on both the M/F connector of every one...

you can also lightly glaze the gasket with vaseline/dielectric (only on a used gasket)

we had a set of those JSS batt studs here once before...they rusted away to nothing

Big Kahuna

Administrator
absolutely...its a PITA the first time

take a Qtip and put some grease on both the M/F connector of every one...

you can also lightly glaze the gasket with vaseline/dielectric (only on a used gasket)

we had a set of those JSS batt studs here once before...they rusted away to nothing

Yup. bolts were not stainless steel.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
How is that kid going to keep water out?? He always told me it was so you could remove your electrical box without opening it up.

the battery wires pull sideways as they exit the box and leave gaps between the grommet and the wire.

I was also told it was to remove the box independently of the engine, but the water intrusion aspect of it is a extra bonus. IMO

He has upgraded the material he uses on the stud kits more or less recently. No more rusting studs.

its been dry ever since.

( FRESH WATER ONLY)

so theres a bunch of exposed holes 24/7. do you have drain plugs in there?

Who sells the ebox gasket for the cheapest price?

I guess that's an option too though... but one day I want to make it to the ocean. I might even make it this summer.

cant you take the old gasket a do it up with permatex, all my js550 e-boxes are permatexed with used gaskets, sealed up n all dry!

Last edited:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
Not a bunch, 3 or 4 I think, in the bottom, so any water that gets in can get out.

most total loss setups have all the stuff mounted outside of a box, it doesnt hurt anything.

what hurts it is to stay wet, like the box is full and wont drain.

so theres a bunch of exposed holes 24/7. do you have drain plugs in there?

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I haven't had water intrusion since using new gaskets, good screws, and good grommets.

butti

lone wolf
I haven't had water intrusion since using new gaskets, good screws, and good grommets.

well i didnt have alot of problems before either,its just a little extra precaution.if your hardware and parts are in crudy shape than you may as well just run it wide open cause water will get in

Top Bottom