Fixing tire on beach cart

One of the tires on my beachcart is sort of cracked/dryrotted and is leaking air. I checked online and they want $55 for a new tire!!!! unreal...I paid $150 for the cart.

Anyone ever use that slime stuff? curious if it will work in this application.

picture.php

picture.php

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
Yeah it will work if the crack's/leak's are small the problem with slime is when it comes time to do a patch later on down the road, It's a major mess. In your case you will be using it as a last resort anyway and when the tire finally is wasted you will throw it away. Be sure when you put the slime in rotate and roll the tire side to side so you are sure the slime coat's the inside real good all over before putting it back on the axle.

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
i think the tube idea is the best one. should be fairly cheap once you do find one and then you dont have to worry about anything since the rubber will just be there to protect the tube not hold air.

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Slime is not made for cracks or sidewall punctures. If it's rotted that far the air pressure will slowly tear it apart.

Slime

I have slime in one of my tires with a small crack. It has been working for two years. You got nothing to lose. Just make sure to use the amount recommended on the bottle.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
Definitely Tube it, the slime can help sometimes but often will leak when its sitting still for a while because it needs to be rolling to recoat the inside.

You shouldn't even have to pull the tire off the rim, cut/pull the valve stem out, find a tube at tire shop, pop the top bead loose (down) on the tire. Then stuff the tube in there, get it poked through the valve stem hole, and air up carefully. Shouldn't need much pressure.

I agree......tube it. I had an old ATV tire with a pretty good leak. I tubed it and it lasted for years. The slime is not intented to be a lasting repair by any stretch.

If that doesn't work, just take one axle off and slide that rear axle forward to the balance point. Most standup carts only have one axle anyways.
Good buy for $150.

ger87410

How did I get here?
Slime is not made for cracks or sidewall punctures. If it's rotted that far the air pressure will slowly tear it apart.

x2

Think goat heads and stickers.
Slime's really more a preventative then a fixer.

U could slime it, see if it works for awhile, then throw the tire away when it stops working or clean the slime out and tube it.

My experience with cleaning slime wasn't pleasant.

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
Boot the inside of the tire to prevent further cracking and to keep water from getting between the tire and TUBE..
Thats what I would do.. and put a tube in it.

Thanks a ton guys -there is a TSC right on my way to the office. Any chance you remember what size tube you used -the tire is 21 X 12 -8 Can I just get a 21 X 12 -8 tube?

Also what to mean by "boot"....some sort of liner?

dmh

Top Bottom