Super Jet Flyinb501's RN SJ shortened hull and defoam thread

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Looks like you left two giant rudders in the rear of your ski. I was not talking about moving the rideplate mount. I'm talking about not being able to truely shorten your hull by much being as you left the pump tunnel basically at stock length. If you really wanted to do it the easy way why didnt you just do a deep D cut on your ride plate.....? By not cutting it past that last rideplate bolt it does not look like it will ride any shorter than a stock length ski with a D cut plate.....And you cant modify the plate however you want because you are now limited by the rest of the hull you left hanging out the back.....thats what I was getting at.....
I just shortened my SJ by 4 inches..... Your ride plate is still gonna be out by the steer nozzle with all that pump tunnel you left. All i'm sayin is you should have chopped the rest off then you could truely mess with the length by just adjusting your plate length.
DSCN0885.jpg

DSCN0893.jpg

:beerchug:

Your removing surface area, leaving that area there, is really not going to hurt you or help you much. The area of the ride plate is widened by about and 1.125" or so, but you have cut down the width and lengh by approx 8" on width and 4" on length, that in itself is a huge change. I have ridden SJBrits hull, you can feel a difference. Now if he could just learn to ride it then it would be a different story!.

I still do not see the point in leaving 2 giant boat rudders hanging out the back of your ski......Anyways, I commend you on the effort. Shortening a hull is not very easy any way you cut it and I hope you are happy with the results.

Really...?? Bcuz you get alotta surf time in Minneapolis, MN right....??? I have heard the ocean is awsum up there! :laugh2: Just trying to help.....

Some more Minnesota "Flatwater" for you MANFISH. This is why I don't want an ultra short hull. If I did I would get a BOB, but I don't think it would work very well for what we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
dude your hull is gonig to be ready to ride before mine even comes, dick!

I'm keeping the pump cone until it gets here.

Haha we'll see about that... I got absolutely nothing done on it this past weekend. I was busy on Saturday, and too hungover to do anything yesterday... Hopefully I can get some stuff done this week.

I'll post up some more pics tonight when I get home. It's coming along. I have the rear all finished, and painted. Exhaust and drain plugs installed. Almost done refoaming. What a PITA! I don't see myself doing this project again haha... I ripped out that pump stuffer too. I think I'm going to do what yamanube suggested and just cut the intake grate off of it and reuse that intake. That pump stuffer left some abrasion in the pump tunnel. Nothing too serious, but do you think that will disrupt the flow of water enough to have a negative effect? I can get a pic of it.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
How much glass did you use to re-attach the back of the hull? I think those cuts will make a very noticeable difference in the way it rides.

I used about 5 layers on the outside and 2 layers on the inside. I think I used the 18oz stuff from US composites if I remember correctly. It may have been a little overkill but I just wanted to make sure it was strong enough.

I forgot how tough that paint can be to work with, and was a little too impatient with it. So I got some runs, but not a big deal because that rear section is not very noticeable anyway.

Will do. Hopefully I can report back soon!

Question: My new bored out raider reduction nozzle has the stock siphon fitting removed. I want to put one in. Will it still work even though it does not stick out into the water flow since the nozzle has been bored? Also, what should I use to install the fitting? Would 5200 work, or...?

D-Nice

flap dem wings johnny!
yea i gotta get on that, just got out the garage tonight. 4 hours later, 10 keystone lights, and im ready to start renforcen the walls with s-gass an crabon. gonna go wit the poly jus still thinkin of a good way to reinforce the tray on top of the poly foam to keep my feet from goin threw it if i flat land off big air

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I reinforced my tray from the outside when I put it all back together.

Top Bottom