Super Jet Flywheel issues

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Working on getting my buddy's lower end off of his 701. We thought we had it down path and didn't realize the stator has a bolt in it that holds the bottom crank case cover to the block. We took the inital bottom bolts off and flywheel cover off and started to try and pull the cover off. After a few pulls we realized something was wrong and it wasn't the guide pins causing it to not come off.

We found out that we had to take off the flywheel first. We went to the store and grabbed a puller. Took the flywheel bolt off and then put the flywheel puller on. Started cranking and no dice, won't budge. He is afraid to hurt the crank anymore than he might have already due to us unknowingly pulling the pan while it was still connected to the stator.

How much damage could we have done to the stator or possibly the crank as well? Is it usually this difficult to get the flywheel off? I did a search and found it to be so but I am wondering if anyone has ever hurt the bottom end of their motor trying to pull one of these off? We definitely don't want to mess stuff up more than we might have already and since this is our first time pulling the bottom end of a 701 off any advice from experience would be great.

Thanks guys.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Doubt you damaged the crank.
Make sure the flywheel puller's center bolt is not so big that it pulls against the flywheel instead of the crank snout.
Once that's sorted out, make sure that the three outer bolts on the puller are not threaded in too far (though if they are, it's too late and you damaged the stator).
Make sure that those three bolts are threaded in by equal amounts so that the center bolt will pull it straight out and not crooked.
Then crank down on the center bolt. Sometimes they can take a good bit of torque. It's best to use an air impact wrench.
If it still doesn't pop off, lightly tap on the end of the center bolt with a hammer.

You might have damaged the top and bottom case where the stator bolts in. Pull the flywheel off and see.

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Doubt you damaged the crank.

Make sure the flywheel puller's center bolt is not so big that it pulls against the flywheel instead of the crank snout. Used a 12m socket as a spacer, read up online - CHECK

Once that's sorted out, make sure that the three outer bolts on the puller are not threaded in too far (though if they are, it's too late and you damaged the stator). CHECK

Make sure that those three bolts are threaded in by equal amounts so that the center bolt will pull it straight out and not crooked. CHECK

Then crank down on the center bolt. Sometimes they can take a good bit of torque. It's best to use an air impact wrench.
If it still doesn't pop off, lightly tap on the end of the center bolt with a hammer. Going to try it out in a bit and see how it goes

You might have damaged the top and bottom case where the stator bolts in. Pull the flywheel off and see.

Thanks for the advice Matt.

My brother managed to split his cases with the flywheel still on....... He just ripped his stator plate in half. I seriously doubt you did any damage if he managed not to (beyond destroying the plate).

Hammer has always been key getting my FW off, just a little tap and she is free.

GL

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
It worked. I had to hit it with a hammer for a bit but it eventually came off nice and smoothly. Thanks for the advice.

The reason we were taking it off was to see why the sealer ring popped out of its alignment groove in the case. It's back in place now, but how does this cut look to you guys? Ride or replace? Anyone ever have one of these seals pop out of the case while riding?

262C23D1-EF59-4911-9BDE-E4298B920063-5347-000003412D703C90_zps90bddbef.jpg

Yep. Your seals are reversed. Won't stay like that. The seal with the little bumps (currently on the inside) goes in the outside, finger bumps facing outward. Seal looks a little too, best to replace both with new OEM while it's apart!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Well I'm definitely going to replace it then. How difficult is it to disassemble the crankshaft to change it? Is it just a slide out system or does it take some type of special tools to take it all apart to get to those two seals?

Typically you remove that rear drive line coupler before pulling the crank, then they just slide right off. Not sure about removing it from a crankshaft only. There was a thread on it recently I believe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
I was looking at that today bit I can't figure out how it would come apart. Does it screw in through the center of it or is there a trick to getting the coupler off?

The end of your crankshaft is threaded. You have to lock the drive line in place somehow, and twist the coupler off the back. It has standard threads, turn counter clockwise to remove. Since you are replacing the seals, I would use some heat on that coupler. Most use a large pry bar of some sort, and some others have fancy coupler removal tools for impact guns.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
The end of your crankshaft is threaded. You have to lock the drive line in place somehow, and twist the coupler off the back. It has standard threads, turn counter clockwise to remove. Since you are replacing the seals, I would use some heat on that coupler. Most use a large pry bar of some sort, and some others have fancy coupler removal tools for impact guns.

Heh

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Somehow is right. I just looked at a couple of other threads and found 3 different ways to do it. Each one had someone complaining that it was bad to do it that way in some capacity. I might heat it up later tonight and see what I can get out of it. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll post up later how it goes.

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
i usually remove it while the engine is assembled, i heat it up and beat the piss out of it with a rubber mallet. 99% of the time, it works every time.

Top Bottom