DSC06863.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC06867.jpg
    DSC06867.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 124

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I should mention that I am done with the rough work on the cases, but I still need to spend some time making everything clean & nice.

Here are some pictures of opening the intake manifold to accomodate the 48mm carb.

Attachments

• DSC06836.jpg
    DSC06836.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC06837.jpg
    DSC06837.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 102

WAB

salty nuts
I'll be doing a similar motor in a month or 2. Thanks for posting pics.
Wonder what effect would you get if you ground down & flattened out (with devcon or something) the divider in the reed holder plate on the intake?
(top piece in pic)
attachment.php

adet16v

No like winter
I'll be doing a similar motor in a month or 2. Thanks for posting pics.
Wonder what effect would you get if you ground down & flattened out (with devcon or something) the divider in the reed holder plate on the intake?
(top piece in pic)
attachment.php

I think you mean the piece in the center that splits the airflow out to each side of the manifold?

I wouldnt want to grind that down flat... that would create a major obstruction to the air flow through the manifold. If anything maybe slim it down a bit, but you would want to keep its general shape intact I think.

Or did I misinterpret what you meant. I think grinding the sides down slimmer could help but grinding the ridge down would not help...

WAB

salty nuts
You got it. I was talking about flattening it out. It almost seems like it would work as a reed stuffer with it there.
Seems that in a freestyle motor you would want to increase the air volume in the intake tract. :shrug:
I was just thinking out loud... I'll shut up now. :biggrin:
I think you mean the piece in the center that splits the airflow out to each side of the manifold?

I wouldnt want to grind that down flat... that would create a major obstruction to the air flow through the manifold. If anything maybe slim it down a bit, but you would want to keep its general shape intact I think.

Or did I misinterpret what you meant. I think grinding the sides down slimmer could help but grinding the ridge down would not help...

adet16v

No like winter
yes I could imagine that being helpfull as well. Ive got two sets of those reed blocks... maybe Ill do some grinding to one when I build up a new motor for my SJ....

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Careful with trying to increase intake volume. Past the reeds, you will lower crankcase compression that way.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Metal epoxy. Grinding in the areas shown comes very close to penetrating into the voids that I filled.

willycrumb

mmmm......beer.....
So when someone say the cases have epoxy, it was just a preventative thing done before porting the intake? Basically, its not a performance gain type thingy?

meatball

User Title Unavailable
so, does anyone use a non-metal based epoxy so if it lets go your engine doesnt blow?

And also, if you really wanted to increase air tract volume, could you not just fab on a boost bottle?

Matt_E

Site Supporter
So when someone say the cases have epoxy, it was just a preventative thing done before porting the intake? Basically, its not a performance gain type thingy?

Depends. What I did, is for preventive damage control I guess. The metal removal needs to be compensated for. On severely ported T cases, you actually do penetrate, and you have to have the epoxy there.

However, on T-cases you can also "finger-epoxy". You fill epoxy into the bottom of the intake tract to fill those fingers and make it smooth. That's a performance mod. (And decreases intake volume)

Matt_E

Site Supporter
so, does anyone use a non-metal based epoxy so if it lets go your engine doesnt blow?

And also, if you really wanted to increase air tract volume, could you not just fab on a boost bottle?

It shouldn't let go if done properly. Besides, it's not a concern where I applied it.

It's important to distinguish between intake tract volume and crankcase volume. Crankcase volume plays a part in crankcase compression (and thus, transfer characteristics and performance) - intake volume does not.

WAB

salty nuts
Crankcase volume plays a part in crankcase compression (and thus, transfer characteristics and performance) - intake volume does not.

What I am thinking of will not effect the crankcase pressure I don't think, as it is above the reeds. Just try it matt, you are used to blowing up motors anyway right?? :skull2: :smile:

Top Bottom