SXR Freeride build....-5 Hull With All Kinds of Goodness (top and bottom deck split)

Long story short I built this ski a few years ago and a few of you got to ride it in Georgia and Daytona. It got neglected over the past few years due to school, motocross, lack of funds and interest. I would have started on it earlier in the summer but shoulder surgery brought everything to a stand still. I spent the last week splitting the top and bottom decks with minimal damage....this :):):):)ing sucked.

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

The hull was already shortened years ago by me and i loved how it handled. so heres whats going on.

Hull

Dual Home Depot scuppers
Trim any excess fat (actually lots of room to lose weight)
Properly glass in where hull was shortened and seal everything up
Patch all holes and cracks and put on some fresh paint
UMI Pole -4 with some stupid jet steering
Carbon ride plate
some kinda scoop grate
Fix broken hood
550 hoodstrap intead of latch

Engine

Bored 1mm over with rebuilt crankworks crank
porting by me
girdled head of some sort running 200psi
dry pipe to 550 waterbox, for weight, baffled for noise with front exit
have 44mm carbs but would like to go to 48's
vforce reeds
msd total loss

Pump
as it looks now stock pump with r&d super pump cone
skat 13/18 cutback 5mm
80mm nozzle
trim comes when i get some cash

I'll update with pics but i am in no rush as i do not plan to be on the water till next year. any suggestions are welcome...unless you tell me to buy a yamaha because thats just out of the question.

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
Not bad at all man. Sold the Evo and bought a Matrix and I fricken love it!! Still carves like an SXR and is as fun as a SJ. You should start buying and sellin skis, thats the only way I afford this hobby! But hey on the bright side if you ever do get a lightweight hull you'll know if you want it to be -5" not?

Just got some Novi 48's and an r & d intake mani....ordering my x-metal steering today, pics when my goodies show up

Took a break from working on the hull for a few days, it was one of those things where I just had to walk away or it was going to get set on fire

Got my 48mm Novis all set up and ready to go on an R&D intake mani that still needs to be port matched. Also bought a TBM lightweight hood and Blowsion finger throttle that should be here sometime next week. I have not done any work to the hull as I have been lazy as of late

101_2223.jpg

101_2224.jpg

Got a TBM hood and Blowsion throttle today of PWCToday.....A bit of an update on the hull too

Started grinding and sanding and sanding and sanding...just getting a feel for where the hull is overly thick as to shed a bit of weight and to rough it up all nice and good for the carbon mat that will be in the engine compartment.

101_2225.jpg

Removed where the stock tool kit was, allows much better flow to the left side scupper....as well as loose a bit of fat
101_2226.jpg

The hull is unbelievably thick under the motor...that will all change with more sanding...

101_2227.jpg

Kawasaki has no shame when it comes to using excess glue....it was like this around the whole bondline and globbed anywhere something needed to be "water tight".

101_2229.jpg

101_2230.jpg

101_2228.jpg

Carbon inside? LMK when you are ready to order resin. Ill point you to the place I got my clear laminating resin from. Are you doing carbon on both halves? or putting it together first then going over the bond line?

Carbon inside? LMK when you are ready to order resin. Ill point you to the place I got my clear laminating resin from. Are you doing carbon on both halves? or putting it together first then going over the bond line?

Going to wait till the halves are glued together to do the carbon...pretty much copy what you did to the inside of your ski. I hope to have the bottom deck sanded, glassed and prepped for paint by this weekend, then hopefully get the top deck done (mostly sanding and a bit of glass work) the following week. After i get it glued together it is time to bring it to your paint booth. Thinking about going hunter green, just like my car

Ram- man

just want to ride
Sweet build, I was thinking about splitting the decks on a old kawi, I was looking at your build and wondering how youu split the decks on yhe sxr. Did you just cut them apart or some how deglue them

Sweet build, I was thinking about splitting the decks on a old kawi, I was looking at your build and wondering how youu split the decks on yhe sxr. Did you just cut them apart or some how deglue them

It is kind of a long :):):):)ty process, the the short story is I got myself a set of craftsmen gasket removers....look like chisels but much thinned and very little taper to them. Then I got my harbor freight heat gun fire up because after this glue is heated it turns mushy....so i slowly work my way around with heat and a chisel...then when it was close i put a bottle jack and two normal jeep jacks under the halves and slowly and gracefully pushed the halves apart.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
haha buy a superjet.....

J/K i'm just posting to subscribe to this build. Scorn has been lonely being the only kawi promoter around here. Nice KTM by the way.

Top Bottom