SXR Freeride build....-5 Hull With All Kinds of Goodness (top and bottom deck split)

According to Kawi, stock SXR is 396.9lbs with full tank of gas, extinguisher and tool kit.

That's a heavy pig.

I'll be watching this cause I'm curious where it will end up. I want to strip and re-build mine someday, not to the extent you are, but I'd like to de-glue it and re-seal everything with 5200.

Mine came in at 420# on a hunting scale. That was with a 1/2 tank of gas.

I have not weighd it since I have removed all the glue, etc. My mistake, it was 410#

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Got A new crank, my hood, trigger throttle, and all my composite supplies. Cut out most of the tray and am pretty much gonna glass in a new one. Trimmed alot of my bulkhead away and am still removing glue and sanding like crazy....a few updated pics in a few days....

Got A new crank, my hood, trigger throttle, and all my composite supplies. Cut out most of the tray and am pretty much gonna glass in a new one. Trimmed alot of my bulkhead away and am still removing glue and sanding like crazy....a few updated pics in a few days....

I hope the new crank is like an 8mil crank and you have plans for a billet top end?

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
Got a TBM hood and Blowsion throttle today of PWCToday.....A bit of an update on the hull too

Started grinding and sanding and sanding and sanding...just getting a feel for where the hull is overly thick as to shed a bit of weight and to rough it up all nice and good for the carbon mat that will be in the engine compartment.

101_2225.jpg

Removed where the stock tool kit was, allows much better flow to the left side scupper....as well as loose a bit of fat
101_2226.jpg

The hull is unbelievably thick under the motor...that will all change with more sanding...

101_2227.jpg

Kawasaki has no shame when it comes to using excess glue....it was like this around the whole bondline and globbed anywhere something needed to be "water tight".
you aint kidding! the dept.manager at the kawasaki factory is probably having a hard time keeping enough glue in stock !!! he's like" we already went thru 10 pallets of glue we only produced 10 watercraft" jk. cool build .mines got a sh$% load of glue,but i still love'er
101_2229.jpg

101_2230.jpg

101_2228.jpg
[/thQUOTE]

Last edited:
My build has been at a stand still for most of fall as moto season has been in full swing. Last week or so I have been working alot on my build...I will get more detailed pics of the inside of the hull tomorrow when I have a real camera present.

Just got my ada head, x metal steering system, dual wamiltons scuppers, carb rebuilds, all gaskets and bearings for motor and pump, basically all the misc. parts I need to assemble the motor and drive line.

After hours of grinding and sanding on the bottom deck and some grinding on the top here is the weight I am currently at. This weight includes top and bottom decks (not glued together yet), Hood, front nose piece, footholds (not glassed in yet), and hull fittings. It currently sits at 101.6lbs which I was really happy with. I will be able to get a few more pounds off the bottom deck, but Will add some when I re glass the side of my tray and glue the top and bottom decks back together. Target weight for hull, hood, nose piece, all hull fittings is in the 115-120 range....hopefully lighter.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Yep, I have been pumped on this build lately so, I have been putting a few hours in every night...Hope to have it together and painted by the middle of next month...I am thinking the glue should add anywhere between 4-6lbs. I put all of the original glue I removed and placed it in a box and it weighed 10.8 lbs....and that was with massive amounts of excess (see pics). That estimate is just a guess. I still have to glass in part of my tray, but that will not add much and I am going to keep it thin. I think I can get a conservative 5 pounds off of the top deck with some precise cutting and grinding of excess material, and it will still be plenty strong.

As for the glue I honestly forget the name, it is an automotive adhesive that is good with oil, chemicals and obviously water.... it is a bit flexible and strong enough that I have confidence in my hull breaking around it haha.

Update

Have been doing some work as of late, Got my x-metal steering and some other jazz.....been cutting and grinding like a champ and it about time to do some glass work so I can finally get this thing together.

Put my motor together for the most part today, I am short intake gaskets, jets, and a few other odds and ends so it should be buttoned up by the end of the week. Anyone have a trigger plate for an MSD total loss??? I am in dire need.

Pics of the hull are all rough cuts, everything is much more square and where it needs to be for glass work...removed 2 inches from the rear of the tray and bottom deck (no need for such a huge tray). also still have to cut the gun whales to match the shortened tray.

Looks like I am going to have to shorten my pole about 4-6 inches too...I'll figure that out when i glass in the footholds.

image-1.jpg

image4-1.jpg
image3-1.jpg

image2-1.jpg

image5-1.jpg

image6.jpg

image8.jpg

Last edited:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Shoot, while you got it apart, I would cut an inch or so off around the bond line on the top AND bottom and make it a little shorter and smaller. IF you look close at some of the aftermarket hulls, they are almost all SXR based and are cut that way (LENZI EME).

Looks like it's gonna be a ripper. I am loving my -2 and actually wish it was -4 or -5..

I say stick with the Kawi motor, BUT, SXRForever does have a point. However, he is running a stroker crank and aftermarket carbs on the Yami motor. (Is it an aftermarket cyllinder too?) I think you scored a DEAL if you got the yamaha motor for only 250 more than what you sold your Kawi stuff for.

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
I say stick with the Kawi motor, BUT, SXRForever does have a point. However, he is running a stroker crank and aftermarket carbs on the Yami motor. (Is it an aftermarket cyllinder too?) I think you scored a DEAL if you got the yamaha motor for only 250 more than what you sold your Kawi stuff for.

Just have to be patient...:):):):) the deals that Fast Elements has on the SS dasa's are amazing! The carbs he has can go right on it...ebox's are cheap...doesn't cost alot if you piece stuff together.

Like DJ said, -2 was sweet on my trinity but I wish it was shorter. I love my -4" Matrix.

Shoot, while you got it apart, I would cut an inch or so off around the bond line on the top AND bottom and make it a little shorter and smaller. IF you look close at some of the aftermarket hulls, they are almost all SXR based and are cut that way (LENZI EME).

Looks like it's gonna be a ripper. I am loving my -2 and actually wish it was -4 or -5..

After I get it glued back together I plan on taking some off the font, most likely due away with the nose piece and lower the hood to match the lines like subnsxr did a few years ago. The weather got warm so my project has been at a stand still as the moto bike has been out a bit. I will never do a Yamaha based motor, just not a fan of anything the company makes...plus I do not compete or anything so I am not concerned....I just want a ski to ride haha

hey, just a quick question.. On my new motor the only thing yamaha is the cases, so is it still a Yamaha??? just wondering where you stand being the biggest Yamaha hater I know! Build is looking good man.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Yamaha cases = Yamaha motor. Kawasaki hull = heavy even after you put hours and hours of work into lightening it. I applaud your effort.

Top Bottom