Fuel Tank Mod!

I plan on modifying a stock superjet fuel tank by means of a jig saw,heat gun, and soldering iron.

Attachments

• tank mod.jpg
    tank mod.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 91
im going to weld the piece i cut into place with the soldering iron and just use it like a stock tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 134
Umm is that going to hold water when your done... I don't think I would trust fuel in a tank stitched together with a soldering gun. There is a lot of slamming around in there...

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
OK, hate to be the spoiler and I do hope it works for you but...
Plastic fuel tanks are made of cross-linked polyethylene. Once they are cast in the mold and as they cool, the molecular structure cross-links making it very strong. This is why these tanks don't respond all that well to heat guns or plastic welding. To get adhesion you would have to heat the surrounding area back to melting to unlink the chains and then apply the "patch" at the same temp. so that everything will link and bond completely. (and to be really honest, I'm not even sure this is even possible with this material).

On top of that, the used tank is likely saturated with gasoline & oil chemicals that have leached into the plastic, making it even harder to get anything to bond...

good luck!

BTW, I used to design gas tanks for boats :wink:

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
OK, hate to be the spoiler and I do hope it works for you but...
Plastic fuel tanks are made of cross-linked polyethylene. Once they are cast in the mold and as they cool, the molecular structure cross-links making it very strong. This is why these tanks don't respond all that well to heat guns or plastic welding. To get adhesion you would have to heat the surrounding area back to melting to unlink the chains and then apply the "patch" at the same temp. so that everything will link and bond completely. (and to be really honest, I'm not even sure this is even possible with this material).

On top of that, the used tank is likely saturated with gasoline & oil chemicals that have leached into the plastic, making it even harder to get anything to bond...

good luck!

BTW, I used to design gas tanks for boats :wink:

RMBC Freeride, Your 100% right.

Back in the late 80's I experimented with the fuel tank "mods" (see the 550 tank pix). I used a plastic welder w/polyethylene rod. The gas I used was pure nitrogen instead of compressed air (it was recommended). It held for a gas cap lid. http://www.x-h2o.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35151&d=1189819007
There will be "issues", Good luck.

Attachments

• 550tank1054.jpg
    550tank1054.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 550Tank1055.jpg
    550Tank1055.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

tom21

havin fun
not sure if it is cheap at all but dont they make a special fiberglass and resin that is made to hold up to fuel? get some of that and make a mold from the old tank. then at least you didn't ruin the tank for nothin.

Top Bottom