Boris

The Good Old Days
Uh, those are not being built here in Alabama

M Class
R Class
GL Class
http://www.mbusi.com/pages/products_home.asp

You are right.
"Not built" but were assembled (or should I say REassembled) there up until the South Carolina plant opened up.

Mine came over on the second shipment (Fedex took the entire first and just about all of the second), it was back in 02 and they didn't even disassemble them back in Germany.
It was Fedex that talked MB into finally bringing these over to the States (7 years after original production started in Europe) as they wanted to have one world wide vehicle. That, plus they wanted to dump their fleet of dinosaur box vans.

If only Ford would wake up and dump their E series vans in favor of the Transit the rest of the world enjoys. :banghead:

WET BOX

STL Crew
My xB gets the job done. It will haul 2 sxr if I need it to and get 30 mpg towing.

xBTrailer3.jpg

Diesel needs to get more popular in the states so the supply logistics can get smoothed out. At times there are tankers full of diesel sitting off the coast with no where to go with it. We need to drill our own oil if for nothing else but to protect ourselves. The minute we announce drilling prices will go down even if the first drop doesn't hit the pumps for 8 years. OPEC will no we are serious about increasing production we we announce drilling. It will scare alot of middleeast countries into limiting their fairly obvious market exploitation. I want to make it clear, domestic drilling should be MANDATORY. Currently the oil companies are in no hurry to drill new areas contrary to popular belief. The oil in the ground will come out someday and it will be more expensive then. We need to get it out NOW. In 10 yaers oil may be a source of energy used primarily by 2nd and 3rd world countries, at least compared to our usage now. Our price of gasoline is really just too cheap (hard to beleive, i know) currently to force a infrastructure change-over.

Bush, or any other president, has little to do with gas prices. Crude is a global commodity, it will bear whatever price people are willing to pay. And apparently the Chinese and India are willing to pay. the weak dollar just makes it worse.

I would stop selling the saudi's jets until they bump up production though :moon:

Wow that was long,

Later

aranka

usually drunk
"Bush, or any other president, has little to do with gas prices. Crude is a global commodity, it will bear whatever price people are willing to pay. And apparently the Chinese and India are willing to pay. the weak dollar just makes it worse."

this is where i think you're wrong, or at where I misspoke previously. Bush’s Administration does have a lot on influence on prices…here’s why. oil prices globally soar when there's instability in the middle east. why is there currently instability in the middle east?? glad you asked....the answer is the current war we are waging. war = instability... instability = huge jump in oil prices. think back to 9-11. how long were the lines at the pumps????

Mark44

Katie's Boss
o

My xB gets the job done. It will haul 2 sxr if I need it to and get 30 mpg towing.

xBTrailer3.jpg

Diesel needs to get more popular in the states so the supply logistics can get smoothed out. At times there are tankers full of diesel sitting off the coast with no where to go with it. We need to drill our own oil if for nothing else but to protect ourselves. The minute we announce drilling prices will go down even if the first drop doesn't hit the pumps for 8 years. OPEC will no we are serious about increasing production we we announce drilling. It will scare alot of middleeast countries into limiting their fairly obvious market exploitation. I want to make it clear, domestic drilling should be MANDATORY. Currently the oil companies are in no hurry to drill new areas contrary to popular belief. The oil in the ground will come out someday and it will be more expensive then. We need to get it out NOW. In 10 yaers oil may be a source of energy used primarily by 2nd and 3rd world countries, at least compared to our usage now. Our price of gasoline is really just too cheap (hard to beleive, i know) currently to force a infrastructure change-over.

Bush, or any other president, has little to do with gas prices. Crude is a global commodity, it will bear whatever price people are willing to pay. And apparently the Chinese and India are willing to pay. the weak dollar just makes it worse.

I would stop selling the saudi's jets until they bump up production though :moon:

Wow that was long,

Later

Thats my boy! :fing02:

WET BOX

STL Crew
"Bush, or any other president, has little to do with gas prices. Crude is a global commodity, it will bear whatever price people are willing to pay. And apparently the Chinese and India are willing to pay. the weak dollar just makes it worse."

this is where i think you're wrong, or at where I misspoke previously. Bush’s Administration does have a lot on influence on prices…here’s why. oil prices globally soar when there's instability in the middle east. why is there currently instability in the middle east?? glad you asked....the answer is the current war we are waging. war = instability... instability = huge jump in oil prices. think back to 9-11. how long were the lines at the pumps????

Exatcly my point! It is rediculous to overlook genuine security concers, just so production is strong and americans can buy cheap gas. We need to cover more of our oil consumption with domestic crude.

Some people think we went to war for oil. Ha! If there was a severe conflict and disruption of oil production from the mideast (i.e. iran going nuclear, israeli/palestinian escalation) then you would see "going to war for oil". This country would be essentially shut down and 10-12 dollar gas would cause riotting in the streets.

Substantial domestic oil is the solution for a "bridge" to alternative energy.

By 2012 Chevy is rumored to have a REAL full hybrid/electric 4 person car that will have a full electric range of 80 miles and infinite range with gas support. This is a lot of peoples trip to the grocery store! While not realistic for every application YET, this will be the direction of lower demand.

I know that Irag is bad, but if you consider that as market "instability" then you haven't seen poop. It is a minor market factor. :Banane35:

Later

aranka

usually drunk
my point was not to market pricing or safety concerns but rather my far fetched opinion that big politics is all about paying back the people/companies that put you in office. i.e. bush needed to raise substantial money (so do dems) to run for office. the people who "footed the bill" did so expecting a return on investment. its no secret that government contracts are very lucrative and look who are getting wealthy on those... defense contractors/big oil/etc. dont think for a minute that if hillary or obama get elected that they will not do the same. i'm just saying that Bush and his administration are reckless about it.

you are right about market pricing/china/etc but i do believe that there is something to be done about it from our elected leader.

I have to agree. Bush could be doing something about it, but since his roots are deep in oil, he chooses not to. Our elected leaders need to tell the whiners to piss off and drill in ANWR and in the oceans in a responsible way. Yes, it would only be a bridge to a new energy, but heck, Its a start.

Whos going to pay for the research? The drilling would be paid for by the oil companies. I say we let the oil companies drill and they have to foot part of the bill for R&D and the Government supplements it.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
We can pay for research any more drilling and tapping into oil will prolong the fat American from coming up with a alternative fuel source.
America needs to suffer in the wallet for a while till people stand up and put science to work and come up with a better energy source. IMO

Mark44

Top Bottom