Custom/Hybrid Ground up stunt build

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
Made the pump and intake inserts out of thick aluminum ,
lined up the pump shoe and mounted the inserts using green glue .

Attachments

• nov 09 004.jpg
    nov 09 004.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 277
  • nov 09 005.jpg
    nov 09 005.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 164
  • nov 09 006.jpg
    nov 09 006.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 182

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
How do feel about the construction and quality of the ski?

I feel really good about it . appears to be strong.
I have made a few big parts from fiberglass , I know its hard work . its all hand laid looks like biax material . the only thing is some of the gel coat is not perfect... but its already mostly sanded down now and not an issue to me. I plan on laying carbon/kevlar or something on the inside of the hull for looks , not cause I think it needs more strength.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Awesome job! This thread is the reason I keep checking for new posts. I really appreciate the pics and updates. I'm starting to think maybe putting together the stunt hull kit won't be so bad. Keep up the good work!

Did you have to do anything special to get the midshaft housing to seal against the bulkhead? Doesn't the OEM bulkhead have a ring recessed in it and a place for one of the small metal cylinders to keep it locked in? How did you address that? Any issues with aligning it to the driveshaft or aligning the pump with the hull?

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
Awesome job! This thread is the reason I keep checking for new posts. I really appreciate the pics and updates. I'm starting to think maybe putting together the stunt hull kit won't be so bad. Keep up the good work!

Did you have to do anything special to get the midshaft housing to seal against the bulkhead? Doesn't the OEM bulkhead have a ring recessed in it and a place for one of the small metal cylinders to keep it locked in? How did you address that? Any issues with aligning it to the driveshaft or aligning the pump with the hull?

I am sorry . you asked that earlier and I forgot to respond
I did not do anything special for the bulkhead. its a flat piece. the bearing has an oring piece that I am sure will seal it good enough . the ""stud"" in the mid bearing just required a little drilling for the stud to recess into the bulkhead..

so far no issues with aligning the pump with the hull.... the pump shoe sits where its supposed to. and I ll level out the drive shaft . and then align the motor to the drive shaft..

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
ride plate inserts are in . moved on to the exhaust tube. made a ""beauty"" ring out of black glass .

and I came up with a crazy idea that I think will work out great.
I used a stock fuel filler for the scupper outlet , and installed a check valve inside the hull ... my thinking on this is that its not a bad looking exterior piece that seals nicely to the hull and if I had to I could screw the gas cap on it and not have a scupper .

Attachments

• nov 09 010.jpg
    nov 09 010.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 190
  • nov 09 009.jpg
    nov 09 009.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 218
  • nov 09 012.jpg
    nov 09 012.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 202
  • nov 09 011.jpg
    nov 09 011.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 160

Big Kahuna

Administrator
ride plate inserts are in . moved on to the exhaust tube. made a ""beauty"" ring out of black glass .

and I came up with a crazy idea that I think will work out great.
I used a stock fuel filler for the scupper outlet , and installed a check valve inside the hull ... my thinking on this is that its not a bad looking exterior piece that seals nicely to the hull and if I had to I could screw the gas cap on it and not have a scupper .

Laughing my ass off at the genius of that idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is great!!!!!!

Waternut

Customizing addict
I think the gas cap is a cool idea but I think a gas cap like this would be better suited for the job. Looks better, stronger, and the edges are less likely to grab the water when you're riding a little nose high.

Attachments

• PKO-540DPG99A_med.jpg
    PKO-540DPG99A_med.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 76

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I did that same thing with pvc fittings but it definitely didn't look as nice. I havent needed the plugs yet. I used a zoeller one way valve and it still doesn't leak two years later.

Jumper

What! What!
Rock on playa!!! Are you coming to Daytona? I think I am going to miss it this year. I will probably be on Oahu for 3 weeks for business.

Top Bottom