Have I gone completely mad?

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
I'm considering going to Milwakee, WI this summer....

Via jet ski

Lake_Michigan_gif_x.gif

It'll be on a couch, but still a ski none the less. it's roughtly 85 miles across Lake Michigan from Grand Haven, MI to Millwakee, WI. I think I could do it with few problems.

I know it's been done before ( cross LK. MI on a ski ) but not by me and I'd like to do it.

anyone one have any helpfull sugestion or wanna try to talk me outta it?

I dont have a date yet.. I'm still planning.

Last edited:

Bruins

R.I.P. 10/15/2011
I've got friends that have kayak across, I've always wanted to do it on a standup. Get a good GPS, I've been out on the lake more times than many other people and you can get out there and disordiented quick! Be careful of storms, they can come up with out warning also. Even Craig James can prodict them, little west michigan joke for ya!

vitaly

Анархия - мать порядка!
85 miles is easy for a 4-stroke, a couple-three hours depending on conditions. Make sure you have a GPS, VHF radio, flares, drinking water, a couple of power bars and leave a chart with your planned course with someone at home, tell them to call authorities if you don't call home by the end of day.

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
I have a nice bluechart GPS and all the maps for it.

my couch is a smoker though. I need to get it out and see what cind of milage I can put on a tank of fuel though so I can determine how much (if any) I need to carry. I think it would be fun to get a big group and do a charity run, and publisize it.

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
F-it, get one of those Hydro-Trailer towables and load it up with gas. Bring an iPod, a cellphone, a marine radio, some snacks, and some pop and enjoy the ride. Take a swim in the middle of the lake to pee.

Sounds nice.

Call a Milwaukee news station and let them know you're coming.

Yeah I agree, go for it. You can always just strap on a couple 2-3 gallon fuel tanks. If you had a couple people to make the trip, it'd be a great time.

I have a nice bluechart GPS and all the maps for it.

my couch is a smoker though. I need to get it out and see what cind of milage I can put on a tank of fuel though so I can determine how much (if any) I need to carry. I think it would be fun to get a big group and do a charity run, and publisize it.

"get a big group" more people = more problems... IMO...small hand picked group charity run...yes... :eek:mfg:

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
Sounds like fun. For reference, I believe my WB1 owners manual says it has a 1 hr cruise time at wot which works out to right around 45 miles. I am curious as to how you would refuel in the middle of the lake w/o a chase boat, esp w/ some decent waves.

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
It sounds sick. Make sure you do it when the weather is nice and the winds are down. They can change quicker than you can get across the lake, but leave when its nice out.

I'd take all saftey gear and supplies. Last place you need to be in a panic without proper supplies is the middle of a big body of water.

I would try and take a bigger couch, and 4stroke would be a plus.

Top Bottom