Have I maxed out my 61x?

Well now I'm nervous. I probably won't be raising my compression any higher than it's already at with the R&D rec head. I would rather get the extra punch from a lightened flywheel and maybe a little advanced timing. I would still like to have a reliable ski.

Is WCF watercraft factory? I'm looking around on their website for the 48mm mod and I'm not finding it.

Been reading up on the jetworks fcv. I have the non-pro version, yeah I guess that makes me a poon. I saw a few posts cautioning using the fcv with a dry pipe. I thought that it would need to be installed inline between the chamber to stinger line. I'm already running a 177.5 jet in the stinger line. I don't see how there could be any damage to the pipe if it's only restricting the flow into the waterbox at the stinger? Isn't that what the fcv is supposed to do anyways? Keep the waterbox clear? Are the recommended setups different for dry pipe vs. b-pipe?

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Tim, Demon dude....

you must now explain to him ( them) about surf riding, and how it differs in regards to compression,octane, ignition advance, rev limit, and holding the throttle open.

Or you could just tell them to search.

melting pistons is part of freeriding.

the surf sluts like to run those mods on 215 psi with fresh pump gas :bananapowerslide:

so yeah, no long wot runs with dry pipe, ignition advance, and compression. keep them under 3 seconds. but get ready for some great low end.

YAMA CAT

Catnip Junkie!
YAMACAT had a similar set up. We put some 33cc domes (ADA) and a mild port- definately woke it up.

This was my set-up on my Square before it went to live with Quickmick I still miss her but I know Mick will take care of her.

82mm Ported 701 (61x cases/61x cyl)
ADA Girdled Head - 33cc Dome 210psi
TDR Waterbox
Riva Freeride Dry Pipe or Type 4
K&N Flame Arrestor
46mm Single Blackjack Carb 130/130 jetting
Boyesen Pro Reeds
MSD Enhancer
Solas 13/17 Impeller

Yamacat, do you remember what you paid for the blackjack? I appreciate the mod list, looks like I'm heading toward a very similar setup.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I'm not a surfrider but I do hit the lake a few times a month and I want my square to have extreme punch. I'm pleased with where it is right now compared to a stock 701 but I guess you always want more.

I melted too many pistons on my past ski to really want to get into higher compression than a 35cc R&D head will give. Though it was a 650sx the motor was built and it screamed mid-top....until liquid aluminum anyways. Never could get the 44sbn tuned right. Reliability is really important to me, I do understand that as power goes up, there is some effect on longevity.

I'm probably going to stick with either a lightened or lightweight flywheel, reeds, install my jetworks fcv, and look into the blackjack carbs or the lehr 44 to 48 mod. I always run 93 octane but I don't want to get into octane booster.

Just trying to keep it simple. I got a little girl coming my way July 10th so I've got to keep the piston melting and garage time to a minimum.

crammit442

makin' legs
I'm a big fan of BlackJacks, but I'm not sure switching to ANY brand of carb is gonna make a huge difference. The OE 44 isn't bad. I think it could be part of an overall package, but I'd get all the regular mods done first. A quality port job will definitely help. Be careful with the enhancer and advanced timing.

STEELDOGG

Hi Ho Silver!
I'm a big fan of BlackJacks, but I'm not sure switching to ANY brand of carb is gonna make a huge difference. The OE 44 isn't bad. I think it could be part of an overall package, but I'd get all the regular mods done first. A quality port job will definitely help. Be careful with the enhancer and advanced timing.

Yep the timing advance combined with enhancer caused me ALOT of trouble a few years ago.

Steeldog and crammit, thanks for the caution on the advance timing. I really do like to err on the side of caution so I'll just stick with the stock timing.

As for a larger carb, I do agree that it would be a good move, but since I'm probably not going to do any port work right now or raise the compression I probably won't need the extra fuel.

Does the 46 sbn load up just like the 44? Mine felt kinda gurgly this weekend but I don't think I'm running it too rich. It's set up to the factory instructions for the type 4 dry pipe. Ran it up and down in the local shop test tank.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
if you're not going to port it or put on a bigger carb or advance the timing then you'll never max out your 61x. there is your answer.

I'm okay with not maxing it out. I couldn't use all that power anyways. I'm just a little 128lb fella. Just want to get as much as I can within reason. I've learned a lot in the last couple of days about my options. I just didn't think I really needed a larger carb as this point. But I guess you can jet to get the same amt. of fuel I'm getting now and just get the benefit of a larger bore. A 46sbn is probably as far as I would go to keep the cost low. So reeds, 46sbn, light weight flywheel and the jetworks valve. I would expect a nice bump from all those.

blaster4life

couchez r 4 living rooms
i just called novi-tech about there 46 or 48 mm...and they told me the best set up for what i was looking for was there 48mm freestyle carb(it retains the stock flame arestor) and the price was $525.......that seem high to you guys. That was about what i figured it would be......but you guys are talking about blackjacks for $250. Harry at group K told me that a novi was the best set-up

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Don't F with the timing, if your type 4 is set up right it pulls like a mofo. 35cc domes is even pushing it a bit with that pipe, the scavenging effect at higher rpm's is strong and can cause issues at wot. ADA reccomends 37's, but you should be fine with premium fuel. I just went back to stock duals and reeds on my T motor, runs way better. Make certain your not overproped, and let loose a bit on the rev limiter.

Top Bottom