Have I maxed out my 61x?

I have a 61x in my square, I'd like to get a little more oomph out of it so I thought I'd ask the experts. Is there anything else I can do? I'd like to avoid porting the cylinder but I'm open to all suggestions. Seems to have plenty of top end. Here is what I have....

Riva freeride dry pipe/manifold
R&D 35cc rec head
MSD CDI
tau ceti f/a

skat 12/17 free ride
worx toploader

Stock reeds, intake manifold and carb other than jetting. I have a jetworks non-adjustable flow control valve that I have not installed yet. I'm hoping for a little bit there.

Is there much gain from a 62t cylinder alone?

wetjet701

Always On
Get a nice set or a single Blackjack carb they have anual discharge IMOP the best carb you can buy and still stay reasonably priced. If you really want some extra punch use a 62t case and 61x cylinder or if your looking for topend only go with a 760

http://www.jetworks.net/

Last edited:
port that sumbitch!

b pipe if youre looking for bottom end.

lose the stock reeds too.

the jetworks FCV should help considerably for bottom end for its price.

i also recommend the WCF 48mm mod on the stock carb. i do them to all of my yami boats and they hit great.

I have a 61x in my square, I'd like to get a little more oomph out of it so I thought I'd ask the experts. Is there anything else I can do? I'd like to avoid porting the cylinder but I'm open to all suggestions. Seems to have plenty of top end. Here is what I have....

Riva freeride dry pipe/manifold
R&D 35cc rec head
MSD CDI
tau ceti f/a

skat 12/17 free ride
worx toploader

Stock reeds, intake manifold and carb other than jetting. I have a jetworks non-adjustable flow control valve that I have not installed yet. I'm hoping for a little bit there. Is there much gain from a 62t cylinder alone?
Im no xpert but I know A whole lot can be had from a compression increase , dont be afraid to bump it up !

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
You've got a lot of improvements left. Port, big bore, big carb, better exhaust, lighten flywheel, ignition, more compression.

The 61x is a great platform for free riding.

Sounds like a mild port job and some reeds might be next.

A b-pipe would be nice but I do like my dry pipe quite a bit. Anybody want to trade?

What about a lightened flywheel? Total loss would be sweet but I don't want to have to fiddle with charging batteries.

You've got a lot of improvements left. Port, big bore, big carb, better exhaust, lighten flywheel, ignition, more compression.

The 61x is a great platform for free riding.

Whats wrong with the riva freeride drypipe? I'd have to be getting a huge improvement to justify selling this setup and finding a decent b-pipe. It would be nice to be able to get to the head without having to screw with the pipe.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I like the sound of that. I was told by the local shop that the MSD cdi advances the timing some. Is that possible?

Any suggestions on who to have lighten my flywheel?

I'll do a little searching for some info on advancing the timing.
no need to search, advance your stator 2-3mm (rotate the stator counter clockwise). that will give you 2-3 degrees of advance.

with a dry pipe and some of the other suggestions here you might want to go with 2 degrees instead of 3.

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
I like the sound of that. I was told by the local shop that the MSD cdi advances the timing some. Is that possible?

Any suggestions on who to have lighten my flywheel?

I'll do a little searching for some info on advancing the timing.

I timing is advanced on an enhancer, I run mine at tdc. I noticed a big difference when I lightened the fly wheel.

Try checking with your local machine shop on lightening your flywheel .

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
Tim, Demon dude....

you must now explain to him ( them) about surf riding, and how it differs in regards to compression,octane, ignition advance, rev limit, and holding the throttle open.

Or you could just tell them to search.

D-Roc

I forgot!
he has now been told to bump compression, and advance timing on his msd while running a dry pipe with a higher rev limiter.......careful.

Top Bottom