Blaster Help choose 1100/1200 motor for blaster upgrade

Just got back from Daytona (awesome time) and put my superjet away till warmer weather (it's 10 F today). While there I spoke with Dave of Extreem Throttle about his blaster upgrade kits and I'm sold. So locating a donor ski is and isn't a problem. This is what I've found locally.

- 1995 Wave Raider 1100 with single place trailer $600. Spoke with the guy and the ski has sat for 4 years "something happened to the motor". Who knows what's wrong with it. Could be cylinder, piston, crank, etc... How can ya diagnose without tearing down a motor you haven't yet purchased?

- 1997 GP 1200 with NO trailer $1200. Guy says it runs fine and he has used it as recent as this fall. Going out to check compression tonight.

So... seeing that I'm interested in "cost effectively" upgrading one of my blasters to a 3 cylinder ski. I'm looking for suggestions on "buy a ski that is known good working condition" or wager on being able to fix a broken less expensive ski. I'm trying to take into consideration, when purchasing one of these skis, that I'm getting electronics and possibility of parting out any other parts I don't need. e.g. pump, trailer, seats, exhaust, etc... Thanks in advance for suggestions and recommendations.

Sospikey

Trying to get upside down
I tried the Rad dudes Blaster / Kawi 1100 conversion at Lake Dias; that thing hauled some serious a$$. Might be an option?

the 1200 yami would be better than the 1100 bc of the ebox from what i've seen and read.... i can't help ya on the kawi vs yami thing though

i went with the 1100 yamaha....as a cost factor on the build ,since like you said you can pickem up cheap.
the 1100 runs a 701 piston , the 1200 runs a 760 piston.....i would love to find a 1200 non power valve motor in the future but im happy with the 1100 yami.
sucky part is i cant find a aftermarket msd ebox...without goin total loss...this is the downfall of the 1100 yami

i dont like kawis.....but ive owned alot of them....but if i want to ride and make it back in...i ride yami

scottie mac is the kawi 1100 guy here..maybe he will chime in and help you out.

Just got back from the GP1200 compression test. All three holes read 120. I realize that's low, but the ski was stored in a non insulated shed and the high today was around 12 degrees F. So... we fired up the ski and ran it for about 45 seconds to a minute, took out all three spark plugs, screwed in compression gauge, pulled open choke, pulled throttle to wide open position and held down the start switch. I suspect the compression should have been closer to 150 per hole, but I suspect sub freezing temperatures probably had something to with that.

tshank123

Yo hablo ingles
120 is actually perfectly good compression for a stock 1200. Its not the same as a 701.

Back to your original question: I usually try to find a donor ski that isnt running, as long as rod isn't sticking out the side of the case or anything. If you want to do it right, you should tear the whole motor down and start with a fresh rebuild anyway. You can find much better deals on skis that are not running. A lot of times they just need a carb rebuild from sitting for so long or something stupid like that.

1200 is better option for yamaha for sure. You get bigger bore and better carbs, both of which help to get you some more HP. You can make an 1100 into pretty much the same thing, but that cost extra. I agree with Tim, a rebuild would be smart, that way you can not only inspect the crank, seals, etc, but you will know you are starting out with quality parts, etc.

As for the Yamaha vs Kawi thing, both have there pros and cons. The 1200 Yamaha is going to be the cheapest build to do if you want bigger carbs. Both the 1200 and 1100 Yamaha conversons don't require a new midshaft. The Kawi can be pretty close to the 1200 with some simple water routing and jet changes, but still, those are changes you have to make. If you are willing to spend the money, the Kawi will make more power, but at a cost.

I like the kawi set ups myself, but that is just my opinion. If you are mechanically inclined, the Kawi isn't a tough build at all. If you want to simply drop in and go, the 1200 Yamaha is tough to beat. The Extreme Throttle conversion stuff makes it a drop in and go set up. About the only tough part is defoaming the rear of the ski for the waterbox, but you would have to do that with the Kawi, too.

No matter what, you will end up with a far superior ski. One you ride a nice triple blaster, it is really hard to go back to the twin set ups unless you are willing to drop in a Lamey, etc. Plus, the triples run great on pump gas. I probably have one of the fastest sport spec blaster 701s in the world and I barely ride it because it feels like a spark plug cap is off compared to a triple, lol.

SM

1200 is better option for yamaha for sure. You get bigger bore and better carbs, both of which help to get you some more HP. You can make an 1100 into pretty much the same thing, but that cost extra. I agree with Tim, a rebuild would be smart, that way you can not only inspect the crank, seals, etc, but you will know you are starting out with quality parts, etc.

As for the Yamaha vs Kawi thing, both have there pros and cons. The 1200 Yamaha is going to be the cheapest build to do if you want bigger carbs. Both the 1200 and 1100 Yamaha conversons don't require a new midshaft. The Kawi can be pretty close to the 1200 with some simple water routing and jet changes, but still, those are changes you have to make. If you are willing to spend the money, the Kawi will make more power, but at a cost.

I like the kawi set ups myself, but that is just my opinion. If you are mechanically inclined, the Kawi isn't a tough build at all. If you want to simply drop in and go, the 1200 Yamaha is tough to beat. The Extreme Throttle conversion stuff makes it a drop in and go set up. About the only tough part is defoaming the rear of the ski for the waterbox, but you would have to do that with the Kawi, too.

No matter what, you will end up with a far superior ski. One you ride a nice triple blaster, it is really hard to go back to the twin set ups unless you are willing to drop in a Lamey, etc. Plus, the triples run great on pump gas. I probably have one of the fastest sport spec blaster 701s in the world and I barely ride it because it feels like a spark plug cap is off compared to a triple, lol.

SM

Can you race the 1100 and 1200 yamaha builds against the 1100 Kawis in the mod class?

In sport open spec, yes. True mod class is limited to 800ccs like my old carbon b1. Honestly Craig, I'm shocked you haven't built a triple blaster already, lol. I have a second one going of ether as we speak that is a budget build. When I get it done, it's yours to test whenever u want.

SM

I found a minty blown 1100 with holes in the case, for cheap, used that motor for the exhaust, carbs, and electronics. I then bought a rebuilt shortblock and used that. Save me the hassle of disposing of a donor hull etc. I did an 1100 because its self contained, the ebox is bolted to the flywheel cover. If I found a good deal on a 1200 I would probably buy it just to try.

I posted Raider with the 1200 it the motor was built solid As Sears . I bought the pump out of that boat. look on the blaster forum his phone number was posted as well.

I think its worth a look. I also have a 155big hub swirl 15/19 that was tuned for that boat.... up for grabs cheap..

Last edited:
I posted Raider with the 1200 it the motor was built solid As Sears . I bought the pump out of that boat. look on the blaster forum his phone number was posted as well.

I think its worth a look. I also have a 155big hub swirl 15/19 that was tuned for that boat.... up for grabs cheap..

solid as sears...hahaha...i like that

Last edited:
120 is actually perfectly good compression for a stock 1200. Its not the same as a 701.

Back to your original question: I usually try to find a donor ski that isnt running, as long as rod isn't sticking out the side of the case or anything. If you want to do it right, you should tear the whole motor down and start with a fresh rebuild anyway. You can find much better deals on skis that are not running. A lot of times they just need a carb rebuild from sitting for so long or something stupid like that.

I'm trying to figure out which way I'll do better monetarily. If I go with the GP1200, I KNOW I'm in for $1200 bucks and I have a fully functional motor. If I buy the Wave Raider 1100 with motor problems, I'm in for $600 plus whatever it takes to fix it. I went to http://www.shopsbt.com and checked out some prices.

piston and ring kit $90
top end kit $400
complete gasket kit $150
crankshaft seal kit $20

with this kind of pricing added onto the $600 purchase price I could exceed the $1200 of the functional GP1200 pretty quickly. And this doesn't take into consideration that the cylinders might need to be bored and honed. I'm not sure how much that would cost. With all these unknowns about the 1100 motor, I'm really starting to lean towards the functional GP1200.

tshank123

Yo hablo ingles
I would go for the 1200 too. More power, better electrical, better carbs, and yeah it runs. At some point you'll probably need to rebuild it, but at least its a runner for now.

BTW, if you got away with spending what you listed there you would be doing really good. Here's my calculations

Pistons/Rings $90 x 3 = $270
Bore $50 per hole x 3 = $150
Crank rebuild = $600
Head gasket = $40
OEM Crank Seals = $40
Other gaskets = $30

Estimated total = $1130

Top Bottom