FX-1 Help me get off this fence

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
So I'm going to do the pump swap on my fx-1 this winter. I have a kawi 140 mm pump all rebuilt right now. The other option is a stock 144mm Yamaha pump. The shoes are different so if I pick one I have modify the hull to fit either or, and if I pick one then the other won't work without more work. What I'm trying to get at is if I pick the kawi pump what are my options for mag pumps in the future? Are they direct.bolt up? The kawi pump is all one unit where the Yamaha one has multiple components that can be changed. If I go Yamaha I can easily get a solas mag whenever and it bolts right up. But is it that easy for a kawi pump. In looking for the less expensive way out on this one.

I did the 140mm swap on mine and it was pretty simple. I did a pretty rough job at it too but it works fine. And with the x2 nozzle you can get a trim setup really easily. If you have a 140mm all ready to go than its pretty simple and cheap to finish the swap. If I recall correctly you just need a shaft, bearings, and some glass/resin. As far as options down the road I really couldnt tell you. But I did add a scoop grate and it bolts right up with the kawi pump.

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
I did the 140mm swap on mine and it was pretty simple. I did a pretty rough job at it too but it works fine. And with the x2 nozzle you can get a trim setup really easily. If you have a 140mm all ready to go than its pretty simple and cheap to finish the swap. If I recall correctly you just need a shaft, bearings, and some glass/resin. As far as options down the road I really couldnt tell you. But I did add a scoop grate and it bolts right up with the kawi pump.

Thanks I have everything ready to go with a trim setup but I'm looking for answers on future setups I can move onto without running into problems.

Last edited:
fyi, I had a quote from impros to make my kaw 140 into a mag for about 1200$ Instead i went with a cutback SXR prop (13/18) big hub swirl and am using an R&D pump stuffer with a raddudes shim.

swapmeet

Brotastic
dragginblazer on here did the 140 swap.

Tom21 is making a pump cavity (and I think intake tunnel) to perform the 144 swap.

I have a 144 swap on my ski (purchased it that way) and the builder used a entire SN intake tunnel and cavity.
Food for thought.

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!

Tom21 is making a pump cavity (and I think intake tunnel) to perform the 144 swap.

I have a 144 swap on my ski (purchased it that way) and the builder used a entire SN intake tunnel and cavity.
Food for thought.

This was my thought if I go with the 144 I want to get some ideas that I can work with what I have before I drop coin

Offroadie

Living the dream.
So I'm going to do the pump swap on my fx-1 this winter. I have a kawi 140 mm pump all rebuilt right now. The other option is a stock 144mm Yamaha pump. The shoes are different so if I pick one I have modify the hull to fit either or, and if I pick one then the other won't work without more work. What I'm trying to get at is if I pick the kawi pump what are my options for mag pumps in the future? Are they direct.bolt up? The kawi pump is all one unit where the Yamaha one has multiple components that can be changed. If I go Yamaha I can easily get a solas mag whenever and it bolts right up. But is it that easy for a kawi pump. In looking for the less expensive way out on this one.

You answered your own question right there.

In addition, the fact that the Yamaha pump is larger and will therefore process more water makes this decision easy. Don't taint your Yamaha with green parts.

Last edited:
What was final price and how does it handle?

cost was about 400$ for the impeller and stuffer. 25$ for the shim.

Still havent rode it yet, Its on my X2 that ive been building forever. Ive spent this entire summer in Afghanistan.

EDIT: If your going to do fiberglass work to get either pump in there, use the yami 144. If the kaw 140 is relatively straight forward, why do all that extra work to gain 4mm over the kawi pump?

Last edited:

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
EDIT: If your going to do fiberglass work to get either pump in there, use the yami 144. If the kaw 140 is relatively straight forward, why do all that extra work to gain 4mm over the kawi pump?

The only thing holding me back is when I want to upgrade what options are out there. I only want to cut the tray up once cause I'm putting in BOB adjustables. If the 140 with the stuff you have turns out to be a good combo I will just do that.

I worry about the kawi pumps because when your wear ring gets corrosion under it your finished and have a pick up a reman from sbt and its not really cheap. Since I ride salt water that would be a concern of mine.

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
I worry about the kawi pumps because when your wear ring gets corrosion under it your finished and have a pick up a reman from sbt and its not really cheap. Since I ride salt water that would be a concern of mine.
I ride lake Michigan and other local fresh water lakes. Salt is not to big of a concern.

some 140 pump stuffer reading.

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=268582

Honestly, if your going to be chopping up the tray id do the 144, with solas mag stator section, and a big hub swirl. Ill be picking up a mag stator section for my B1 soon.
Alright I will read this later. Right now I don't have the money for a mag.

Food for thought.

The 144 will make more low speed thrust IF the whole inlet is changed. Its a lot of work without previous composite experience. The Kasasaki swap is easier and works about as well with the small FX1 inlet.

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
The 144 will make more low speed thrust IF the whole inlet is changed. Its a lot of work without previous composite experience. The Kasasaki swap is easier and works about as well with the small FX1 inlet.

I do have a little bit of experience with composites. I'm leaning towards the kawi pump for right now. I measured the fx1 tunnel and the 650 tunnel and the fx1 is bigger so it should improve the quality of the hookup over a 650. When I move up to a bigger pump I will go ahead and just buy the tunnel and everything.

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Just a random thought I had, but if you are cutting the tray, why not get a 750 pump shoe and do a 750 pump? Then you could always upgrade to a readily available Skat or Solas mag when you are ready. I don't think it would be much more difficult than the 650 pump swap.

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
Just a random thought I had, but if you are cutting the tray, why not get a 750 pump shoe and do a 750 pump? Then you could always upgrade to a readily available Skat or Solas mag when you are ready. I don't think it would be much more difficult than the 650 pump swap.

If the pump has a different offset than a 650 a zxi shaft may not work.

Oh Mr. Kevbo we need some assistance.

By the way you seem to answer most of my questions. Thanks.

A 750 pump sets the prop back about 5MM compared to a 650 pump. This sets the driveshaft spacing of 750 prop/pump only slightly more forward than a 650 pump/prop. If your only goal to to go fast on glass use the Kawasaki setup. A proper Yamaha setup is much more efficient from 0-20mph for a given amount of power. Plus the additional capacity work better in aerated water.

Offroadie

Living the dream.
A 750 pump sets the prop back about 5MM compared to a 650 pump. This sets the driveshaft spacing of 750 prop/pump only slightly more forward than a 650 pump/prop. If your only goal to to go fast on glass use the Kawasaki setup. A proper Yamaha setup is much more efficient from 0-20mph for a given amount of power. Plus the additional capacity work better in aerated water.

More evidence you should go with the Yamaha.

On my FX1,
before I put a skat track 144 and then a 148 of MAXX (THE THAI).
A lot of work, because the space is small,
but can i do.

IMAGE_00018.jpg
P1060232.jpg
P1060235.jpg
IMG_0121.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom