How big can a 701 motor be??

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
I think it's important to know what kind of riding you want to do Cuke, but too much power too early can hold you back whatever route you are taking. I've heard many a surf rider talk about too much power especially when you use a flatwater motor where the throttle response is more like an on-off switch. For flatwater you want to be out there learning some skills and developing technique, not wrestling a beast that wants to put you into orbit every time you blip the throttle.

It's exciting to think about building a dream motor straight away - especially if you have the budget - but you can set yourself way back by going too big.

I'll make another point (and I don't mean to put you down at all here) but you say that you are looking to build a stroker motor but don't have a clue where to start. Then don't!! Building a stroker motor is so much more than making the pistons go up and down a few mm further. You either need a lot of personal experience or professional help to get it right.

I think the answer I would like to hear is: what makes you think you need a stroker? Have you ridden many skis? I'd recommend jumping on a few - you have plenty of riders around you. You will be astonished at how big a smile a professionally setup 701 can put on your face and you don't need to go much past 800 to get your ass handed to you.

CUKE

BIGGER..STRONGER..FASTER
the member that asked for advise seems to have been ousted from the conversation. I don't think he's looking for drama.

no drama, just looking for ideas im a big boy 230lbs. (and growing) just thinking i might need a big motor cause my 750sx is a pig

CUKE

BIGGER..STRONGER..FASTER
I think it's important to know what kind of riding you want to do Cuke, but too much power too early can hold you back whatever route you are taking. I've heard many a surf rider talk about too much power especially when you use a flatwater motor where the throttle response is more like an on-off switch. For flatwater you want to be out there learning some skills and developing technique, not wrestling a beast that wants to put you into orbit every time you blip the throttle.

It's exciting to think about building a dream motor straight away - especially if you have the budget - but you can set yourself way back by going too big.

I'll make another point (and I don't mean to put you down at all here) but you say that you are looking to build a stroker motor but don't have a clue where to start. Then don't!! Building a stroker motor is so much more than making the pistons go up and down a few mm further. You either need a lot of personal experience or professional help to get it right.

I think the answer I would like to hear is: what makes you think you need a stroker? Have you ridden many skis? I'd recommend jumping on a few - you have plenty of riders around you. You will be astonished at how big a smile a professionally setup 701 can put on your face and you don't need to go much past 800 to get your ass handed to you.

I have experience I built a sbc 383 stroker about 500 hp when I was 20 yrs old.

CUKE

BIGGER..STRONGER..FASTER
It looks like I need to find a b pipe for now then tune it and go from there.
Really appreciate all the help so far guys!!!!!

Last edited:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I have experience I built a sbc 383 stroker about 500 hp when I was 20 yrs old.

There is a big difference between building a stroker SBC and building a stroker 2 stroke. For the SBC to work properly you need a crank and pistons and then bolt on the right performance parts.

For a 2 stroke there is the crank and pistons but also the porting of the transfers, boost, and exhaust (as well as a lot of other parts). I bet when you built the 4 stroke you picked a cam that people told you would work well, maybe you even did some research and picked out a good one. as a comparison 2 stroke porting is the same thing as designing your own cam (lift, duration, timing) but you also have to figuer in port area while at the same time making sure those ports wont snag a ring. Do you know anything about case volume? I'm sure you don't know this but none of the top shops take one part from an after market company and bolt it on with out porting or machining it first. Do you think you can ask in a forum what intake volume you need? what size your exhaust manifold runners or head pipe opening would be? What shape do you think the head pipe should be ported to? here's a hint: it's not a circle. what size stinger is your package going to need? do you know what a stinger is? Do you know how a 2 stoke pipe works (dry or wet)?can you tune carbs? do you know what squish is? are you going to run total loss? if so what will your initial timing be and when do you want it all pulled out? what epoxy based product will you reinforce your cases with and be sure it won't fall out and ruin your motor? have you flow tested reeds before? have you ever flow tested a kawi reed cage on a yami case to see what it does?

your questions are so basic that there is no way someone can tell you what you need to know. If you knew the right questions to ask the people who have the right knowledge will not tell you the answer because it is their career to know it and provide the service of doing it for you, not giving it away for free.

if you want to build a motor yourself you should ask how to build a limited motor and maybe work you way up to a mod motor. If you don't know what a limited or mod motor is do some searching.

If you just want a bad ass motor with lots of billet and lots of displacement you'll need to buy one from an expert.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
If you want to learn more about how to build a 2 stroke. there are books for that. you can also search this forums members posts like supertune or #.zero . They're very helpful and technical people but be warned, no 2 builders will give the same advice and their advice may not be compatible with each other. A forum is no place to learn how to build a large, high performance 2 stroke.

Best of luck!

IDOK, I love you man, but the shop is now X SCREAM since we merged together 2 years ago...
Team Scream + X Metal is now X Scream Inc (except the website is under xmetalworks.com)
See here for some of the tuned out of the box plug and play engines and setups.
http://www.xmetalworks.com/cat/engine+packages/4

Like what was said earlier, get a complete package that you can afford to build.
Our 10mm stroker with our special made Ultra-pro Wiseco 91mm pistons will get you to 1014cc, or @ 90mm 992cc engine. We have and can make the 62T engine bigger and others have too, but none make any more power than the 1014cc engine (IN MY OPINION) because of crank rod centerline limitations of the 62T based engine.

can a relatively new guy get some prices on these. im looking for more power too but whats more powers going to be in exchange for money?

vitaly

Анархия - мать порядка!
I'm not trying to be a dick. I want to save the guy from going the wrong direction and waste a lot of money and let him know a 2 stroke is deceptive simple (read not simple at all).
Hey, I've seen steam engines that were more complex than the Yamaha motors, any one of them.:Banane26:

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
can a relatively new guy get some prices on these. im looking for more power too but whats more powers going to be in exchange for money?

Call or email the shop for any price quotes.
As far as power goes, you need all of the correct bolt-ons first, (like a limited engine) then go into internal engine modifications.
Baby Scream engine packages are the 1 st level, 771cc big bore engines 2nd,
SS 865 Billet top end engines 3rd, then on to the stroker crank engine packages all they way up to 1014cc.

wsuwrhr

Purveyor of the Biggest Brapp

Not sure exactly what you are looking for pricing, but here are a couple.

Pricing on a ported and assembled engine package from DASA with SBP cases:

10-12MM stroker 89-91 bore is $7650.00 USD

16MM stroker 89-91 bore is $7887.00 USD

These two engines are complete:

Cylinder, cases, crank, head and domes, all billet. Pistons and all PV parts.

We also offer factory case engines as well. Stock stroke on up to 10MM stroker.

Our complete cylinder kits are all $2800.

Prices are on the DASA website as well.

Brian

Last edited:
Top Bottom