Other How do you insure your AM hull build

Hi Bill and Karen~ Thank you very much for choosing to do business with my agency. I look forward to assisting you for the years to come. :)

I spoke with Stacy yesterday after work. We went over coverage limits, premium amount, claims etc...

Very knowledgable, kind with great service. I had a quote within 10 minutes.

IMO...it wasnt that much more than my local agent quote I got a few weeks ago.

The kicker is that it's almost 4x the coverage, in regards to value.

I am gathering all my information to start my policy this week

Thanks for this thread!

Last edited:

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
I spoke with Stacy yesterday after work. We went over coverage limits, premium amount, claims etc...

Very knowledgable, kind with great service. I had a quote within 10 minutes.

IMO...it wasnt that much more than my local agent quote I got a few weeks ago.

The kicker is that it's almost 4x the coverage, in regards to value.

I am gathering all my information to start my policy this week

Thanks for this thread!

Good to hear, Ill be calling her shortly, and will update the thread afterwards.

wakezoneINS

WakeZoneInsurance
Hi Guys,

I know I am new to X-H20 and if I am violating any forum policies with respects
to advertising, please let me know! It is not my intention to violate any forum
policies. Several people have requested that I post some info on my company and
the policy that I use to write coverage on AM jet skis. Well here is the info:

My company:
Wake Zone Marine Insurance based out of Southern California. Been in business since 2004. I am the owner of the company and have been involved in insuring high performance boats for the past 10 years. We are one of the top agencies in the country for high performance boat insurance. We have a great reputation for service and knowledge of our industry.

Get a quote at:
www.insuremyski.com

Carrier:
A+ Rated, Admitted

States:
Currently writing in 40 states. Can add more if necessary

Policy attributes:

- Agreed Value on Hull & Machinery

- Minimum $1,000 deductible on Hull & Machinery for hulls valued up to
$10,000. Higher deductibles may be required on higher agreed values.

- Policies are ANNUAL. Your "down time" is already accounted for in
the annual rate. Meaning a policy for FL is more expensive than a policy in MI
due to the fact that you can use the ski on the water longer in FL. The storage
and transit exposures still exist in winter. If we find that people are
cancelling their policies each winter, we will refuse to re-write in the
spring/summer of the following season.

- Top capable speed of your jet ski cannot exceed 65mph.

- $300,000 maximum liability

- No more than 2 minor MVR violations. No Major violations (DUI, Reckless,
Careless driving etc), no more than 1 at fault accident in the past 36 months

I think that is it. Please let me know if you have any questions about the
product we offer. Thank you.

Last edited:

RivMan

doing something stupid...
Site Supporter
Hey Stacy, glad you found your way over here!

Question about us Michigan guys though. There's more then a few that make the annual trip down to Daytona for the freeride event in January. Would we still be covered in that case? How about the random 60 degree day in December that's ride-able?

Thanks
-Rob

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member

Question about us Michigan guys though. There's more then a few that make the annual trip down to Daytona for the freeride event in January. Would we still be covered in that case? How about the random 60 degree day in December that's ride-able?

Thanks
-Rob

good question, I just assumed that we would be covered anytime we ride. She just said that the amount is less due to less riding time in a season. I don't think there is a set date/months we are covered or not covered. just a % of the year. Also technically Daytona wouldn't be covered cause we are "stunt riding".

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Ummm.....that's a huge deal breaker if true. When are you ever not "stunt riding" an a/m standup?

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
EXCLUSIONS
We will not pay for:

1. Loss caused by your or a family member’s intentional act.

2. Loss to your covered watercraft which occurs while it is:
a. rented to others;
b. used to carry people or property for a fee;
c. used for any business pursuit; or
d. used in any illegal transportation or trade.

3. Damage caused by or resulting from:
a. wear and tear;
b. smog, humidity, mildew and mold;
c. gradual deterioration of any kind, including, but not limited to, weathering, rust, corrosion, mold infestation or rot;
d. dock rash, marring or scratching; or
e. mechanical, electrical or structural breakdown or failure.
This exclusion (3.) does not apply if the damage results from the total theft of your covered watercraft. Damage caused by or resulting from freezing, thawing and extremes of temperature is covered, but only up to a limit of $500.

4. Damage caused by any manufacturing or latent defect. However, any resulting loss or damage will be covered.

5. Loss due to or as a consequence of:
a. discharge of any nuclear weapon (even if accidental);
b. war (declared or undeclared);
c. civil war;
d. insurrection; or
e. rebellion or revolution.

6. Loss from or as a consequence of the following, whether controlled or uncontrolled or however caused:
a. nuclear reaction;
b. radiation; or
c. radioactive contamination.

7. Loss due to destruction or confiscation by governmental or civil authorities because you or any family member engaged in illegal activities.

8. Loss due to theft, attempted theft or conversion of your covered watercraft:
a. by you, a family member, or any resident of your household;
b. prior to its delivery to you or a family member; or
c. while in the care, custody or control of anyone engaged in the business of selling your covered watercraft.

9. Loss to your covered watercraft resulting from any pre-arranged or organized racing, speed or demolition contest, stunting activity or in practice or preparation for any such contest or activity.
However, this exclusion does not apply to the use of a sailboat in any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest, or in practice preparation for any such contest.

10. Loss sustained while your covered watercraft is used as a permanent or primary residence.

11. Loss to your covered watercraft for diminution of value.

12. Damage caused by insects, animal, vermin, rodents or marine life, other than an impact loss to your covered watercraft.

13. Damage that occurs because your covered watercraft is not in seaworthy condition.

well how do you prove or disprove what riding you were doing? So it may not cover you on the water, but it at least has fire, theft, etc.

Last edited:

wakezoneINS

WakeZoneInsurance

Thanks
-Rob

Hey Rob,

The policy does not have a designated lay up period so therefore, even if you are in MI, you can technically use your boat in December and still have coverage. The policy allows for use anywhere in the United States and Canada up to 125 miles offshore, so by the policy form, even a MI based policy would have coverage in FL during the winter. The policies are rated on assumed down time but do not exclude trips and/or use during that assumed down time. Hopefully that makes sense. - Stacy

wakezoneINS

WakeZoneInsurance
3e, 9, and 13 would worry me

I realize that you are probably very skeptical of all insurance when it comes to the AM hulls and that is totally fine, I get it. HOWEVER, after 10 years in the watercraft industry I can tell you the following:

3. e - Exlusions for loss due to mechanical breakdown
You will not find a single marine policy in the country (boats, waverunners, jet skis etc) that will cover mechanical failure or breakdown. This exclusion is found on every marine contract out there, so this is nothing new when it comes to insuring jet skis.

9. Loss to your covered watercraft resulting from any pre-arranged or organized racing, speed or demolition contest, stunting activity or in practice or preparation for any such contest or activity.

Keywords here.... PRE-ARRANGED and ORGANIZED. Again, this is something that is in every marine policy out there. It is on all of the policies out there for PWCs which means for those that have Progressive, State Farm, GEICO, Foremost etc... you have this exclusion.

13. Vessel not in seaworthy condition. I'm not sure why your jet ski would be out on the water if it were not seaworthy as you are putting your own life at risk using a non-seaworthy vessel. Maybe this one was misunderstood when read??? Basically, if there is a big hole in the hull fo your vessel and you put it on the water and the jet ski sinks... you put a non-seaworthy vessel onto the water and the loss due to the jet ski sinking, isn't going to be covered. Here is a link to a maritime definition of "seaworthy". http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/s132.htm

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Thanks for taking time to answer.

I find 3e potentially worrisome because sometimes these skis sink because the engine quit for whatever reason in 12ft surf and it gets swamped. So, is that loss due to a mechanical break-down? I would certainly think so.
9 makes sense I suppose - the rider wouldn't be insured while competing. What about any organized rides? The wording of 9 could be interpreted to preclude any pre-organized get-togethers and rides (Look on the main board here, there are tons of annual events) These rides comprise a large chunk of riding for a lot of people.

About 13: Thanks for the link, but a lot of the language applies only to larger vessels. Let's get specific about standups: what would you think of a standup hull that has two 3 inch holes in the hull that allow water to drain from the bilge area as long as the hull is moving? If the vessel stops at all, water will backfill into the bilge. Is this "sea-worthy"?
Now add the fact that the hull may not have any flotation foam whatsoever. "Sea-worthy"?
I'm not trying to be pedantic about this - but those kind of things are standard on most of these a/m hulls and it would be beneficial to get these details sorted out beforehand. See my comment about exclusion 3e. A motor failure and unfavorable water conditions have a fair chance of sinking that ski.

Now, the reason I am worried about these 3 items isn't because I don't like you or insurance companies, so please don't take it personally. It isn't. When I was actively trying to obtain insurance for my own ski a couple of years ago, the only scenarios that compelled me to do so were sinking (for reasons given above), damage during transportation (car accident), and perhaps theft or fire.
Do the policies you offer cover transportation damage? I didn't see an exclusion.

Again, thanks for taking the time. A lot of people with these hulls have been looking for valid options for a few years now.

Last edited:

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
This is very interesting considering two insurance companies have denied me because they are not "normal" jetskis. Yamaha, Sea Doo etc. Rickters dont show up on their list so they cannot insure. I am quite interested, but still skeptical as well. Progressive will take my 02 SeaDoo policy because blue book is worthless. But when you have a brand new 20-30K aftermarket hull one of the major things i worry about is theft at the rides or accidents on the way there and back. If it covers me on the water even better but id be partially pleased with just land. Interested to see how this goes.

Top Bottom