How far forward should I mount my footholds?

curt248

01 superjet 94 fx1 97 xp
I just bought some wcf footholds for my rn sj. How far forward have you guys been mounting them? I would think the farther forward the better right?

Opionins welcome.

Thanks guys.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
It depends on your riding position, like how short the hull and handlepole are. I moved my WCF footholds about 2" forward and wish I had gone 3", but I also shortened the hull close to 2" and am running about -6" total on the handlebar position from stock.

I'm -6" and mine are all the way back....it feels odd when you are on the trailer maybe but in the water its perfect.

I am 6'6" and I put them all the way back as well. Try and ride one that has some to see how it feels for you. I guess if you are shorter you would want them up more. On the back you have the most control of what it is going to do.

Just my 2 cents.

freestylegeek

waiting...
Unless you're moving the exhaust tube, you'll only be able to get them about 13" from the bulkhead (front of the tray). That seems to be a decent position on a stock length hull.

I have mine 10" from the bulkhead and it's perfect on my -2.5" hull. Just remember, whatever you take off for foothold location needs to be removed from the pole length as well. Otherwise, your ski will be trying to bend you over backwards. :)

Big Kahuna

Administrator
yeah, But like Darin and Geek posted, it is relative to your pole length. When I got my hull from Chick, the holds were way up front, that is the way Bogart had them. Way to forward.

freestylegeek

waiting...
yeah, But like Darin and Geek posted, it is relative to your pole length. When I got my hull from Chick, the holds were way up front, that is the way Bogart had them. Way too forward.

Hmmm, let's see, Patrick lands every single roll ALL THE WAY AROUND, and I've only seen Harrison splat 3/4 rolls.... Seems to me that forward is better. (You know I'm joking with you Harrison!)

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Hmmm, let's see, Patrick lands every single roll ALL THE WAY AROUND, and I've only seen Harrison splat 3/4 rolls.... Seems to me that forward is better. (You know I'm joking with you Harrison!)

You no good, northern ......................................

LOL

I think I will go mount my holds up by the nose.

I talked to Pat when I was getting it from Chick. I want to think that he even mentioned that they were farther forward than he normally ran them. Who knows. Not in the mood to move them and get a shorter pole!

curt248

01 superjet 94 fx1 97 xp
So the tip of the toe 13 inches from the front of the tray with the dash removed then?

It's 2:30am here and I've been working for about 4 hours to remove the old turf and glue. Man this is a tough job. I tried using acetone, but it didn't work that well. I've been using a wood chizle to get most of the goo off. It's mostly off, but far from clean yet. I suppose now the acetone will work better than it did in the beginning?

Any pointers?

I also bought a jigsaw today. Which blades work the best?

Is there anything other than 3m 5200 that will work well for glueing in the holds? I couldn't find it at the local ACE hardware or super Walmart.

freestylegeek

waiting...
So the tip of the toe 13 inches from the front of the tray with the dash removed then?

It's 2:30am here and I've been working for about 4 hours to remove the old turf and glue. Man this is a tough job. I tried using acetone, but it didn't work that well. I've been using a wood chizle to get most of the goo off. It's mostly off, but far from clean yet. I suppose now the acetone will work better than it did in the beginning?

Any pointers?

I also bought a jigsaw today. Which blades work the best?

Is there anything other than 3m 5200 that will work well for glueing in the holds? I couldn't find it at the local ACE hardware or super Walmart.

Yes, 13" from toe to bulkhead with the dash removed. You'll find when you install the right foothold that it will just touch the exhaust pipe.
I have always used epoxy and filler (west systems 404) to seal the footholds to the tray.
The factory glue is some of the hardest stuff to remove. It just takes patience. I believe SuperJETT has had success soaking a rag in acetone or mineral spirits, and laying it on the tray for a few minutes (like 10). That seems to help loosen up the glue a little.

curt248

01 superjet 94 fx1 97 xp
Thanks.

Is there anywhere I can buy foam (outside of online) to refill the foam I'm going to cut out?

How would I get the foam into the hold after installing it? I've been told that I could drill a small hole in the top of the gunwhale and pour the foam in there. Does that sound right? How big should the hole be?

One more thing. I bought the thick foam padding. Can I put it everywhere in the hold? What parts would need to be sanded down? I suppose I can just put my foot with my wrestling shoes in the hold to test it and see.

I was wondering if the place where the side of my leg (outside ankle) hits the gunwhale (actually part of the hold) would need to be padded. It seems like any padding there would push my foot out of the hold a bit. Since that area is constantly being rubbed while in the holds, it might need some padding. What have you guys had luck with? Maybe the padding squishes enough to make this a non issue.

Last edited:

freestylegeek

waiting...
Thanks.

Is there anywhere I can buy foam (outside of online) to refill the foam I'm going to cut out?
How would I get the foam into the hold after installing it? I've been told that I could drill a small hole in the top of the gunwhale and pour the foam in there. Does that sound right? How big should the hole be?

Take your time shaping the foam to fit the foothold and you won't need to re-fill any.

One more thing. I bought the thick foam padding. Can I put it everywhere in the hold? What parts would need to be sanded down? I suppose I can just put my foot with my wrestling shoes in the hold to test it and see.

I was wondering if the place where the side of my leg (outside ankle) hits the gunwhale (actually part of the hold) would need to be padded. It seems like any padding there would push my foot out of the hold a bit. Since that area is constantly being rubbed while in the holds, it might need some padding. What have you guys had luck with? Maybe the padding squishes enough to make this a non issue.

You should only need to pad the top of the foothold (the part that comes in contact with your shoelaces) and the HEEL of your foot. Don't pad under your toes, and taper up to the heel.

Attachments

• smaller072909 003.jpg
    smaller072909 003.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 80
  • smaller072909 014.jpg
    smaller072909 014.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 78
  • smaller072909 025.jpg
    smaller072909 025.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

freestylegeek

waiting...
why do you say dont pad under your toes??

It changes the angle of your foot more, and allows for more padding on the top of the foothold (where you need it). All of the landing shock *should* go through your heel (if your posture is good). Plus, the 'forward lean' of the footholds causes you to get closer to the pole on rolls and get farther around.

curt248

01 superjet 94 fx1 97 xp
Can any marine epoxy work instead of 5200? I am going to glass the holds in.

Is biaxial fiberglass different from the standard fiberglass cloth I bought from ACE hardware? Where could I buy some biaxial cloth without having to go online and order? I'd like to do this today.

For extra reinforcement I would put glass all the way from one foothold to the other in one big piece? I would also overlap the foothold by 2 or 3 inches up onto the uncut gunwhale as well? How many pieces (layers)? Does it have to be biaxial or can I use the stuff I'm using for the holds (Ace hardware only had one kind). Oh and how many layers of cloth should I use for the holds and the reinforcement?

Thanks guys. The quick responses are fantastic as I'm doing the work as we speak. You guys are awesome!

Big Kahuna

Administrator
It changes the angle of your foot more, and allows for more padding on the top of the foothold (where you need it). All of the landing shock *should* go through your heel (if your posture is good). Plus, the 'forward lean' of the footholds causes you to get closer to the pole on rolls and get farther around.

never thought of it that way. 1st set of footholds that I did was kinda like that. Now, I have turf all up under. None on top. Need to put another layer of turf, shoes are a bit loose, may try and peal turf out and add some turf.

Top Bottom