How Many People Keep a Fire Extiguisher Onboard?

how many actualy store one on their stand up? I was also wondering how many have been busted with out one? Seems like they would just get beat up in some of the compartments i have seen.

If my ski were on fire I would roll it over and just swim away. I would not be trying to dig out the extinguisher and sticking around to pull the hood off exposing the fire to tons of oxygen, then try to put it out while swimming. Sounds rather dangerous to me!

Last edited:

KR

www.krlines.com
If I go to Mission bay in San Diego, I get checked all the time. In Oceanside, I guess it happens? I was with Ross Eddie Jon and Matt one morning and two guys were checked as they were coming in and we were going out...

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I do. I made a tube of Hydroturf to go around it (that it can slide out of) and it sits between the pipe chamber/gas tank/flywheel cover with a small bungee that goes through the end of the gas tank strap and hooks onto the extinguisher handle.

z00m

UK X-H20
Yep i do , but to be honest i would swim away, i can only just get the compartment open when on dry land and standing by the ski ,so bobbing around in the deep with me ski on fire and wet hands is a no no, i think it some law for all water crafts but still covers even small craft , i have to buy a new one every year cause after a years riding it looks like scrap,

Mick

ski4

gonzo
i do at times.
if it looks beat up who cares?
mine is 7 yrs old and still tests ok. it has no paint on it and the saftey is held on by a zip tie
our water cops say it's fine........... so do i then

it's not for putting out your own fire so much as to help another boater/rider>

Last edited:
I always carry one in my back pack until I get my annual inspection sticker and then I ditch it all together.

I told it was to help others as well, not to put out your own fire.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
when i ride here i keep it at the end of the dock. when i ride other places i tend to bring it allong most of the time... the fine here is $125. i'v only been asked for it 1 time in 7years. and that was in my old 550. if i could find a small one i would ride with it all the time. but seems like they dont make small fire extinguisher... :dunno:

Last edited:

tom21

havin fun
is this one of those "i'm too cool to carry one" things? Matt if your new ski ever caught on fire( it could happen) I bet you would be glad one of your crew had one handy. And you care how much for your buds and their skis?

sorry to single you out like that, but the point is its just a few dollars and a few pounds and I would rather endure that pain the the loss of a ski or fellow rider.

hope it never happens, and I will be glad I carried it all my times on the water even if I never use it.

its like tools, anyone ever notice if you bring all your tools you rarely have a need for em, but if you skip it that is the day everything goes wrong?

"Oh it will never happen" yeah that way of thinking worked well for the twin towers! Who would EVER have thought in a million years that would happen.

not that you can come close to comparing the two things- my point is poop happens- why not be prepared?

Ericfox

Do it twice?That's DooDoo
I keep mine wrapped with hydroturf with zipties around that... strapped on top of my 4.5 pound battery... battery is perfectly small enough that the bungies allow the extinguisher to sit on top the battery and the straps to securely hold it all down.... why risk the ticket? its only 2 pounds... aint gonna make that much of a difference for tricks...

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
I've never been checked and I always carry one.

Top Bottom