How Many?

I’ve went down to Malcolm smith here in so Cal and checked it out . I really like the tactical look of it. To be honest I have wife and 4 kids and I think this would be a sweet ski for the whole family . Mind you I have a boat and sit downs so it would be a tag along . Any one rode in learner mode ?
Also check out on YouTube I’ll try to link it in here . Some guy has a 4SJ with a viper cam . Sounds pretty mean actually.

I’ve went down to Malcolm smith here in so Cal and checked it out . I really like the tactical look of it. To be honest I have wife and 4 kids and I think this would be a sweet ski for the whole family . Mind you I have a boat and sit downs so it would be a tag along . Any one rode in learner mode ?
Also check out on YouTube I’ll try to link it in here . Some guy has a 4SJ with a viper cam . Sounds pretty mean actually.

i got a 23! and the FB page is pretty awful! lol
I second that. Alot of ignorant people.

That said I did ride a new superjet and It was cool to ride, enough to where I would consider getting one at a decent price but definitely not before the V3 is built.

I think personally it would be nice to relax a little bit on longer rides buts also fast enough to have fun when needed.

Sticking with my pre-08 SJ until they force me to go 4 stroke, no real compelling reason to spend 10k and then need to spend another 5k on upgrades because that is what we do. I made that mistake going with an 800 SX-R back in the day, looks great stock for about a day and then it's time to bling and mod the thing.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Sticking with my pre-08 SJ until they force me to go 4 stroke, no real compelling reason to spend 10k and then need to spend another 5k on upgrades because that is what we do. I made that mistake going with an 800 SX-R back in the day, looks great stock for about a day and then it's time to bling and mod the thing.
Steering, Bars, Intake Grate and this ski becomes fun........ $600.00 +/- added........

chixwithtrix

Addicted
Have the 2021 SJ and a 1500 powered GP1R, love the SJ for what it is. Great lake cruiser that is still way more playful than the SXR 1500. It has its downsides, the engine is a bit anemic, pump tunnel sucks, has a penchant to slide and hop on the buoy course. Would be fun in a 4 stroke Superjet racing class where everyone equally has bad traction haha. The SJ doesn't compare to any aftermarket ski, but costs three times less so can't complain.

IceRocket1286

Site Supporter
I'm considering the new SJ. I have spent a few hours on a bone stock one and borderline couldn't stand it, the steering is god awful. I appreciate the smaller size compared to the 1500 & the fact that Yamaha is still producing a new stand up for all to enjoy. I spent 10 minutes on a Riva Stage 1 equipped ski with the steering issue somewhat resolved and really enjoyed it. I don't have time to wrench, I just want to hit the green button and go for a ride. I love the speed of the 1500 and nothing else, it's way too big. I rode my stock class SXR this weekend and while it has a fairly fresh rebuild, its just tired and I have no free time to wrench.

I need to borrow a Riva equipped SJ4 for the weekend so I can make a decision lol.

Side note: anyone else find the staggering amount of $30K+ skis at the races mind blowing? I love jet skis and I'm not broke but $30k....what.

Last edited:
I'm considering the new SJ. I have spent a few hours on a bone stock one and borderline couldn't stand it, the steering is god awful. I appreciate the smaller size compared to the 1500 & the fact that Yamaha is still producing a new stand up for all to enjoy. I spent 10 minutes on a Riva Stage 2 equipped ski with the steering issue somewhat resolved and really enjoyed it. I don't have time to wrench, I just want to hit the green button and go for a ride. I love the speed of the 1500 and nothing else, it's way too big. I rode my stock class SXR this weekend and while it has a fairly fresh rebuild, its just tired and I have no free time to wrench.

I need to borrow a Riva equipped SJ4 for the weekend so I can make a decision lol.

Side note: anyone else find the staggering amount of $30K+ skis at the races mind blowing? I love jet skis and I'm not broke but $30k....what.
I have done minor stuff and really enjoy the ski! can boat chase, hit the track, fill up at docks... green button and go!

Blowsion OVP, RRP riser bars
Wax intake grate
Worx exhaust hose
Worx Air intake
Blowsion Desyroyers

I just installed the Destroyers and that made a huge difference. Prop, tune and i think i will be happy... Also the hood will break at some point from jumping .

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Luke, So far I just have the Worx Exhaust Hose, Watcon Steering and 0 Degree Bars and Intake Grate (Still Testing!). That said, with Stock Steering and Grate, this is the worse stock ski I have ever ridden....... (ok, probably not).. But just adding Steering and Grate, Changed the ski totally. If I could not make any more changes (well, Turf sucks! - That is a must) I could be happy with the ski as it is............ I am digging just rolling up to gas pump and dumping 3.5 gallons in and going and riding for 1:20 minutes while still having over 1.5 gal reserve left!!!!!!!!!

Have the 2021 SJ and a 1500 powered GP1R, love the SJ for what it is. Great lake cruiser that is still way more playful than the SXR 1500. It has its downsides, the engine is a bit anemic, pump tunnel sucks, has a penchant to slide and hop on the buoy course. Would be fun in a 4 stroke Superjet racing class where everyone equally has bad traction haha. The SJ doesn't compare to any aftermarket ski, but costs three times less so can't complain.
Hi there
I followed your build on Youtube for the GP1R and based on that I hit Dustin up and now my hull kit is shipping any day now, as is my donor . So a huge thank you to you for getting me over the line, your content is very much appreciated. I will likely have a few build challenges (donor is a 15F) but I have built a few over the years so its stuff I like.

IceRocket1286

Site Supporter
Luke, So far I just have the Worx Exhaust Hose, Watcon Steering and 0 Degree Bars and Intake Grate (Still Testing!). That said, with Stock Steering and Grate, this is the worse stock ski I have ever ridden....... (ok, probably not).. But just adding Steering and Grate, Changed the ski totally. If I could not make any more changes (well, Turf sucks! - That is a must) I could be happy with the ski as it is............ I am digging just rolling up to gas pump and dumping 3.5 gallons in and going and riding for 1:20 minutes while still having over 1.5 gal reserve left!!!!!!!!!

BK! I appreciate the new 4 stroke section! I totally hear you on just filling up and going for a ride. We still have our stock SXR's and no plans to get rid of them, but it's just time for something new & different. I had a total hip replacement in 2021 so no more "big" wave jumping for me. I just want to haul the mail and rail some turns and not worry about premix. I'll be keeping an eye on this section for sure and let you know if/when I have the time to pick one of these skis up.

Hope all is well with you.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
BK! I appreciate the new 4 stroke section! I totally hear you on just filling up and going for a ride. We still have our stock SXR's and no plans to get rid of them, but it's just time for something new & different. I had a total hip replacement in 2021 so no more "big" wave jumping for me. I just want to haul the mail and rail some turns and not worry about premix. I'll be keeping an eye on this section for sure and let you know if/when I have the time to pick one of these skis up.

Hope all is well with you.
Get one!!!!!!! Damn, Hip Replacement? WTH?

I am still salty about not being able to catch your sister at 08 Nationals!!!!!!!!!! She kicked my ass!!!!!! LOL Hope your whole family is doing well also.

IceRocket1286

Site Supporter
Get one!!!!!!! Damn, Hip Replacement? WTH?

I am still salty about not being able to catch your sister at 08 Nationals!!!!!!!!!! She kicked my ass!!!!!! LOL Hope your whole family is doing well also.
Yep, total hip replacement. Unfortunately just some really bad luck, felt a sharp pain one day towards the end of 2020 and started walking with a limp. One year and a few surgeries later it was replaced. All is well now, just gotta take it easy. That's why I need a new SJ...just to cruise like an old man lol.

Top Bottom