How should I spend $250

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
I have a 91 SJ with a 650 in it. My plan is to eventually swap it with a bigger motor, and drop the 650 into my JS 550. I don't want to invest anything into the 6m6 motor at this time. For this ride season, I have $250 to spend, and I'd like to know how you think I should spend the money!

Right now, I have minor mods:

Blowsion bars
ODI grips
R&D intake
Coffman Sizzler pipe
Pro Watercraft racing sponsons
DIY quick steer mod
Hooker 9/15

My ride plate is stock, so I'm thinking that I should put that on the list. I'm also considering a flow control valve for the pipe, but what else should I be thinking about?

sell the 650 for what you can, buy a 701 motor with the $250 and the money from the 650. Run the 701 with the mods you got. I run a 61x 701 with a sizzler pipe and for my budget it makes nice power.

King Kang

sell the 650 for what you can, buy a 701 motor with the $250 and the money from the 650. Run the 701 with the mods you got. I run a 61x 701 with a sizzler pipe and for my budget it makes nice power.

My plan is to keep that motor and transplant it into my JS550
Keep saving and then buy a 701. Also like the idea of buying an AM pole. The stocker will break if not reinforced.

I totally hate the stock pole, but AM poles seem so expensive. No reinforce the has been done, but I do have a slam pad!

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I'd spend money on a 701 before an enhancer.
Otherwise I'd say get a modded stocker cdi with either adjustable/removed rev limiter, which should be 100$ for adjustable or less for removed. Orrrrr, you can read a guide on the boards and remove the rev limiter yourself and do what rhugo said. That'd be the best of both worlds, and on quite a budget. Flow control valves will make your setup slightly snappier. It's just a small part of the overall package,but it all adds up. If you're into freestyle/wake chasing, I'd try flush cutting and dcutting your ride plate. It makes a pleasant difference IMO

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
dont spend it. Ride the ski as is. Put any money you do spend into general maintenance. Only upgrade a part of the old part breaks.

Your skis won't be worth any more than it is right now. Save your money for a ski with the parts already on it. Plenty of skis out there ready to ride with lots of parts at a discount over assembly. A stock rn superjet may be worth $3000 while a full limited ski with $3000 more in parts will only cost you $4500 or less.

If you goal is a different motor, pipe, prop, head, hull, pole, then ride what you have as is, and buy what you want fully assembled.

I didn't, but I wish I had. I'd be money ahead.

Please listen to vumad. Your ski is legit to freak out on as is man.

Youre gonna break something this year. Just get tray time and try to get really good with what you have!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
You mentioned a ride plate. What kind of riding do you do? Where do you want to be ski wise (hull and mechanically) and riding style in 1, 2, 3 years from now?

King Kang

I mostly ride for fun, jumping wakes and sometimes ripping buoys. I doubt I'll ever get into serious aerial tricks or anything because I haven't found anyone here locally to learn from. In my part of NC, it is a sellers market for stand-ups and the inventory is very low. Nearly all of the other stand-up riders I know are serious racers who mostly ride Kawi-based skis.

This spring, I'm gong to try modding my CDI so that I can adjust my rev limiter. Going WOT I can tell when the ski gets maxed out.

I may try buying a sit-down (or two) with a 701 in it and doing the swap. There is a VXR-PRO that I can get cheap, and I might try and do a "walk up offer" on a 701 Wave Venture that has had a for sale sign on it for years. If all that pans out, and if I can successfully part out the Venture, I'd put the twin carb frankenstein into my SJ and the single carb frankenstein into the VXR so that my wife would have something to ride.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Sounds like you are not planning on changing your hull anytime soon. In which case, sticking with transferrable parts is not a big concern.

I would hold onto that cash, and go for a 701 buys. Once you get the motor you want, get a girlded head with 180 psi 93 octane domes Less than $300 from jetmaniac. Zero can lighten your flywheel for $40 as well. Jetmaniac sold me reed stuffers for like $25.

Am finger throttle and 650sx cable (larger, less likely to break) are nice too and are transferable.

You can make rear sponsons from plate aluminum, a jig saw and sand paper for cheap. Set them up to be removable. Will hekl when riding with your racer friends. Shooting from the hip here but i believe they woild bd 21" long and 1.25" deep. Look at pi tures of tbm online for the shape. Ut them so you can use the stock bond rail hlles to mount them (rn has holes in bond rail for the bumper, no sure if sn has this)

And a good bilge setup, switch, bilge , mount (can use glue) $100

Am arestorx are good too but i lkke a dry motor, so i kept the stock box.

Last edited:
How about some hood hold down straps and a pole strap. Won't make you go faster, but they could save you an expensive repair. Save the rest for the 701.

Top Bottom