how-to turf with no seems.

Guys I am working on my first Turf job. Well First Superjet, I have done XP's in the past but those were kits with pre-cut pieces. I plan on doing the whole Tray as well as the rails. I think 2 sheets will be enough right? My main quesiton is while ripping off the old stock pads from the side walls (which sucked) I started thinking about under padding for the bottom of my tray. I am wondering if I should just leave the stock paid there and turf right over it? It is in pretty good shape I was just going to glue the new turf right to the top of the old mats. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted this or if its a stupid / bad idea.

Thanks!

I am going to use this method after installing my holds, I am going to do the foot cut-outs, they look so friggin sweet. how far back do you go with the 1" padding? all the way to the rail?

I want to say thanks for this thread! It helped so much. Today I finally got some time and did one side of my wife's tray, will do the other side and tray padding tomorrow.

I haven't turfed in 2 years, and this is my first time turfing a RN and holds. One small wrinkle, and one very small rip from overheating.

Attachments

• turf2.jpg
    turf2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 588
  • turf4.jpg
    turf4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 680
  • turf3.jpg
    turf3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Gosh dang none of these pictures show the inside of the foothold.... I am unsure how far down to take my seam.... or is the "seamless install" all the way to the floor?

I had the same problem as you when I went to turf holds the first time.

On the SJ I did I used scraps on the inside of the foothold. The one piece side stops just after it wraps around the hump and into the hold.

Basically you make it look seamless, but you have seams inside the foothold that aren't visible. I posted a pic, but the blue camo turf makes seams and imperfections hard to see so it doesn't do much good. I used three little pieces of turf inside each hold.

Attachments

• DSC00111.jpg
    DSC00111.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 676
  • DSC00106.jpg
    DSC00106.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Sweet... Ill have pics of my work here soon.... hopefully only have bottom and sides is my goal (one seam):fingersx:

Been smelling DAP all day :dead1:..... this takes A LOOONG time to do

With some patience, time, creativeness, and careful trimming; it's possible to bring the bottom piece up into the holds and make it one seam. Certain holds will be harder than others. Trying to bend the bottom piece up into the holds (once glue has been brushed on) without touching any sides is a pain, but doable. However if it does touch the side it's sticks instantly it can ruin the turf or padding you installed.

Yep, takes some time for sure.

Last edited:

mightymighty2stroke

I'd rather be on the lake
Gosh dang none of these pictures show the inside of the foothold.... I am unsure how far down to take my seam.... or is the "seamless install" all the way to the floor?

My seams are where the foothold meets the floor. Rather...a half inch above as I was a little hasty, lol. But with a small sliver of turf in there you'd probably never notice if I didn't tell you.

thank you so much!

best write up ever,could not have done as good a job as i did without your post. here is what i came out with,oh yeah this is my first ski and my first turf job by the way so be kind , thanks again,you rock.P1030002.JPGP1030006.JPGP1030007.JPGP1030004.JPG

Another one I just finished. I didn't dig the foot hold style that were installed and will upload more pics later tonight. This was my first time working with molded as opposed to cut. The front of the tray and bottom weren't completely trimmed and had not been glued in when I took these pics.

Attachments

• rturf3.jpg
    rturf3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 479
  • Rturf1.jpg
    Rturf1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 478
  • rturf2.jpg
    rturf2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 470

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
Here's my first returf job (first one was too :):):):)ty to count lol) took about 7hours and only one seem on the underside of the holds

Attachments

• PICT0379.jpg
    PICT0379.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 395
  • PICT0380.jpg
    PICT0380.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 375
  • PICT0381.jpg
    PICT0381.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 404
  • PICT0382.jpg
    PICT0382.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 403

PWCSAR

River Rat
Excellent info all..... I will definately be using this in the next month or so..

Top Bottom