Hydroturf Mess

thrllskr

Converted Coucher
Ok, so my first mistake was buying a precut kit. Next time I'm just getting sheets. This has been way to damn frustrating. I was literally so pissed I was throwing crap around the garage, and its not even my garage.

I installed the front panel no problems. I've turfed before (an X2) so I know what type of glue to use (DAP gel) and to let it sit for a few minutes before applying turf.

Anyway, the way the side pieces sit, the damn Hydroturf lettering sits on the curve (top of the tray), rather than on the side. This is causing a friggin' nightmare because the damn numbers won't stay down (yes, I taped them before applying - and then taped them again and again trying to keep them down). I have no choice now but to let it sit overnight and hope for the best. I am not optomistic though and I have a feeling I may end up tossing these side pieces and buying a sheet. But I am not sure if I did something wrong or if this just sits this way.

This kit comes with about 10 pieces, no directions other than how to glue. I found something on PWCToday that showed what each piece is for but I am flying blind on this project and seriously FUBAR'ing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Yeah, I think I f'ed up the turf inside the footholds as well, but I'll just patch those up with extra turf. It will look like ass, but its in the footholds, so it won't be as obvious). Note that the bottom piece isn't glued down yet - its just sitting in there.

Attachments

• IMG_2380 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2380 (Medium).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2378 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2378 (Medium).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2376 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2376 (Medium).JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 168
I hate turfing more than I hate fat loud mouth groupy chicks.

Come to think of it, I would rather eat my own turd than turf.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
If you're having to tape things down, you didn't wait for the glue to dry.
It has to be dry before you put the turf down.

But I feel your pain. I've done both, and like cutting my own much better.

You must not have waited long enough after putting the glue on the ski and the turf. It should stick to it instantly and not move..

I too have done pre-cut and sheets. It was my experience that the pre cut sheets were easier but did not come out as nice.
Last time I turfed I did double thick rails that took me into the night. Needles to say I fell asleep in my chair next to my ski with an open can of glue in a closed 1 car garage. The next day sucked:bigeyes2:

Mike W

Infidel
I just did mine and I will never get a precut kit again. If they would of just left the lettering out of the turf it would work out alot better.
Anyway, It does look like the lettering is too far up. Maybe a difference in kits. I dont know. Its a little too late now but I did the gunwhales first, then the tray then the front panel. It all lines up better that way.
The gunwhale piece I started laying it down just above the foothold where the turf all folds together and worked my way foreward to the front of the ski. When that was as far as it would go I pulled the rear of the turf that wraps around the back part of the gunwhale. This part I had to pull which misaligned the lettering. It does help to have an extra set of hands for this. I hope you can picture what i'm trying to explain. If not I can pm you my phone number and I can try to explain it to you better.
The picture shows where the lettering "should" be.

Attachments

• Picture 065.jpg
    Picture 065.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
whoever you bought the kit from I'd call and talk to... if no avail go right to HT.... that kit is "incorrectly" cut. granted you screwed up on the install, you'd still have trouble over time with the letters coming up over a curve even if done right.

thrllskr

Converted Coucher
I just did mine and I will never get a precut kit again. If they would of just left the lettering out of the turf it would work out alot better.
Anyway, It does look like the lettering is too far up. Maybe a difference in kits. I dont know. Its a little too late now but I did the gunwhales first, then the tray then the front panel. It all lines up better that way.
The gunwhale piece I started laying it down just above the foothold where the turf all folds together and worked my way foreward to the front of the ski. When that was as far as it would go I pulled the rear of the turf that wraps around the back part of the gunwhale. This part I had to pull which misaligned the lettering. It does help to have an extra set of hands for this. I hope you can picture what i'm trying to explain. If not I can pm you my phone number and I can try to explain it to you better.
The picture shows where the lettering "should" be.

Yeah, I saw you pics and like how yours came out. I think the letters are supposed to be on the flat part like yours - anyone know of anyone who used a 750 kit?

Trying to get that lettering around the curve is like putting a bandaid on a knuckle. Even if they stick, they are going to look like crap.

thrllskr

Converted Coucher
FYI - I waited for the glue to dry - every part that I turfed as adhered fine except for those letters. If those letters weren't on there, I'd still be turfing and would probably be done by now.

that turf kit with the lettering is very hard to install. i don't know what they were thinking. i screwed mine up so bad that i just took those extra pieces and glued them over the jacked up lettering. for my other ski i just bought a sheet it was so much easier.

FYI - I waited for the glue to dry - every part that I turfed as adhered fine except for those letters. If those letters weren't on there, I'd still be turfing and would probably be done by now.

definatly contact whoever you got it from and get replacement sides..

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
If the letters hold, just patch it up...it'll be fine. You won't even notice it.

:smile: It doesn't look too bad. Its just turf.

i couldnt get these little flaps of turf to stick on my ski, and after countless tries with the the contact cement, i went and got my dads SUPER glue ( this stuff will bind anything ) and stuck it down, and it hasnt moved since.

thrllskr

Converted Coucher
i couldnt get these little flaps of turf to stick on my ski, and after countless tries with the the contact cement, i went and got my dads SUPER glue ( this stuff will bind anything ) and stuck it down, and it hasnt moved since.

LOL - I thought about that, too. Hmmmm...

You know what else annoys me about this kit. Look at the pic above - the turf for the front panel and the sides go opposite directions (the grooves on the dash piece go sideways, the gunwales go vertical). OH well - live and learn.

I agree with Djkorn - it's just turf, right? I hate being a perfectionist! Ugh.

thrllskr

Converted Coucher
The verdict is in.

It looks like ass but I think it will work.

I think I may try the Super Glue approach where a few edges just won't stay down - I am concerned once I am out riding and grabbing the tops of the tray where these letters are. Hopefully a little super glue will keep them down better.

I put the pad and mat down and its looking better. Need to get inside the footholds. This "kit" was worth about as much as ice to an eskimo, considering the amount of cutting I needed to do anyway. Should have saved the $60 and just got sheets.

Attachments

• IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 90
Top Bottom